most depressing songs

raining in baltimore by the counting crows - lead singer starts crying half way through the song and refused to ever play it again lol :D

Opeth - The night and the silent water

It's one of the few songs that actually are depressing, many goth and doom band try to make depressing music but IMO they soud a bit fake... TNATSW sounds depressing but not in just a negative way

O'blivion said:
The Turtles - Happy Together

It was by a band called 'The Turtles'?!?!?!?!?!

YES! THANK YOU! I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW WHY THAT SONG (whichI haven't heard for years) REMINDS ME OF TURTLES WHEN I THINK OF IT!

omg.

falling bird said:
Hey Bumblefoot i downloaded Kevin Gilbert's Song for a dead friend. I really like it. Especially the repeating main part is good, nothing special but this melody is somehow different if you understand what i mean. Do you have some more good advices from the same style?
BTW, Needle of Death by Bert Jansch is a very depressive and song i think,try that one.

hmm... i dont know any more songs quite like that Kevin Gilbert tune.. but try Loreena McKennitt - Dante's Prayer

Pain Of Salvation - People Passing By,Oblivion Ocean,Leaving Entropia.

It just doesn't get more depressing than this. I mean seriously,it's not too hard to cry to these songs. Even though Åkerfeldt is one hell of a singer,Gildenlöw is definitely the best one in Sweden in my opinion.

The lyrics are just too amazing,perhaps a bit too long to paste here,so www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/painofsalvation/entropia.html#4 go check them out.

If someone hasn't heard any of those then go get them. Now.

Katatonia's Tonight's Decision is extremely depressing too.

One more. Kamelot - Lost & Damned. So even power metal can be touching. It's pretty depressing I think.

life in a glasshouse by radiohead
you and whose army by radiohead
trans-atlantic drawl by radiohead
practically everything by radiohead since they've gone experimental.
also, 'grace' and 'so real' by jeff buckley.
and also 'this otherness' by motorpsycho.
trust me, these songs are the most depressing ever. you can download them without being afraid they're not depressing. because they are depressing as opeth has never been.

Dirge for November no doubt... Pearl Jam - Black... or even better, Aaron Lewis' cover of Black... Edith Piaff - La Vie En Rose... Cat Stevens - Wild World... My Dying Bride - The Night He Died... in fact... anything by MDB.

I'd have to say the most miserable song I've ever heard is

Red house painters - have you forgotten (Slow Version)

it nearly puts me to tears.
other great miserable songs would be

counting crows - raining in baltimore
sarah mclachlan - angel, i will remember you
ben harper - i shall not walk alone
coldplay - we never change
pearl jam - black
cranberries - when youre gone
about half of the bends

arent depressing songs great? they make you supremely miserable if you have something to suffer about. emotions mean living and thats what music is meant to stir up.

There are many depressive songs which I like. Almost everything from Katatonia, but especially Teargas, Tonight's music and the stuff on Viva Emptines. Opeth's mellows songs are all depressing to me

Demonspell said:
I agree Fourth Horseman...those songs from Entropia are definitely heartwrenching (Plains Of Dawn too), but my choice in their catalogue for the most depressing would be Undertow or Morning On Earth...

Most PoS songs are heartwrenching,guess you know that :)
I agree about Plains Of Dawn,basically the whole Entropia,The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane are depressing...excluding Waking Every God and This Heart Of Mine. Hell,even their instrumentals are goddamn depressing...Void Of Her and Falling are soooo good.

Just been listening to Entropia non-stop lately,that's why I picked those.

EDIT: I find Morning On Earth really cheerful sometimes. I just sometimes feel like wanting to hug the whole world when Daniel goes "Seeeeeeeeeeee this chiiiiiiiiild"

Forbidden Site - "Aurélia"

For those who speak french, here are the lyrics :

L'édifice s'effondre
Et le ciel me condamne
A rejoindre la tombe
Que mes rêves profanent

Je sombre dans l'étreinte
ennivrante du soir
Comme on noie dans l'absynthe
le reflet d'un regard
Les flots lourds de la Seine
Accompagnent mes pas