Death: Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Black: Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Heavy: Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance
Doom: Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Industrial: Rammstein - Sehnsucht
Grindcore: Napalm Death - Scum
Melodic Death/Melodeath: Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Post-Black: Samael - Eternal

I would consider "Viking" a theme as opposed to a bonafide genre, like Running Wild playing Traditional/Speed/Power Metal with a Pirate theme. That's just me, I don't like to recognize "Viking" as a genre. But I don't think that makes me a loser or an idiot.

What about something like "psychedelic" or "progressive"? These words sometimes describe a specific style of music, but more often they can be used to describe overall aesthetics (including lyrics). In these cases, these genre tags can be applied to almost any type of music, from the Beach Boys to Hawkwind to Kyuss to the latest Nachtmystium. (never mind non-guitar oriented psychedelia)

Both of those are also very loosely defined genres that are more or less add-ons to the genre it already is.

Both of those are also very loosely defined genres that are more or less add-ons to the genre it already is.

Yeah, but can you honestly say those terms have no meaning in their own right? When I hear psychedelic music, I know what I'm hearing, just like when I hear so-called viking music, I know what I'm hearing.

I just said people could use it if they want despite how stupid it is in my last post.

This is great news! I hope somebody tells the... oh, NOBODY who asked for your permission :loco:

The term "viking metal" is pointless because all the bands labeled as such can be put under other genres the only difference being that they have viking themes. If you wanna use that pointless term then go ahead but that doesn't change the fact that Amon Amarth is melodic death metal and Bathory is black metal.

Yeah, Blood on ice, Hammerheart, Nordland 1 and Nordland 2 all fall under black metal since it's bathory, and theres no such thing as viking metal :rolleyes:

Yeah, but can you honestly say those terms have no meaning in their own right? When I hear psychedelic music, I know what I'm hearing, just like when I hear so-called viking music, I know what I'm hearing.

This is great news! I hope somebody tells the... oh, NOBODY who asked for your permission :loco:

They have more meaning than viking metal I'll give you that much. They are still just add-ons to genres though. Progressive can be basically any genre in a progressive format. Same goes for psychedellic.

You don't need permission to call something "viking metal" but judging by a couple posts ago you acted like I needed to give you permission.

They have more meaning than viking metal I'll give you that much. They are still just add-ons to genres though. Progressive can be basically any genre in a progressive format. Same goes for psychedellic.

You don't need permission to call something "viking metal" but judging by a couple posts ago you acted like I needed to give you permission.

Which is why progressive and "prog." must be differentiated from each other.

What about something like "psychedelic" or "progressive"? These words sometimes describe a specific style of music, but more often they can be used to describe overall aesthetics (including lyrics). In these cases, these genre tags can be applied to almost any type of music, from the Beach Boys to Hawkwind to Kyuss to the latest Nachtmystium. (never mind non-guitar oriented psychedelia)

I think that those terms are applied generally in the same way that I would use Viking Metal, in a thematic concept. And now that I say this, the thought occurs to me that it's possible that a lot of genre issues stem from the failure to differentiate the lyrical genre of Black Metal and the musical genre of Black Metal, but I don't really feel like elaborating on this. :erk:

Which is why progressive and "prog." must be differentiated from each other.

Exactly.

thrash metal - sodom "agent orange"
death metal - morbid angel "altars of madness"
progressive death metal - death "the sound of perseverence
brutal death metal - suffocation "effigy of the forgotten"
technical death metal - necrophagist "onset of putrefaction"
progressive metal - dream theater - "Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory"
Speed metal - Metallica - "ride the lightning"
extreme progressive metal - Opeth - "deliverance"
Melodic Death metal - Carcass - "heartwork"
metalcore (good metalcore) - mastodon "leviathan"

yep

Oh dear....

Technical - I'd say Scepter of the Ancients by Psycroptic before anything by Necrophagist.

Speed - Orgasmatron by Motorhead before anything by Metallica

I wouldn't consider anything by Opeth extreme. Don't bitch to me about the vocals either - that's crap.

Good metalcore is an oxymoron.

Thrash: Slayer - South of Heaven
Death: Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Black: Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Heavy: Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance
Doom: Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Industrial: Rammstein - Sehnsucht
Grindcore: Napalm Death - Scum
Melodic Death/Melodeath: Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Post-Black: Samael - Eternal

I'd agree with almost the entire list - maybe substituting post-black with Genesis by Rotting Christ.

Reactions: Zephyrus
^^^ fantastic

it's called a fucking opinion

carcass - heart work is the best melodeath album ever

Trouble is, when the facts are wrong then opinions will also be wrong. Pay attention.

And I wasn't discussing melodeath - but, now we're on it, I would consider Into the Abyss by Hypocrisy better.

Yeah but like Scott Evil said you didn't mention the factual parts about it in your statement "opinions can't be wrong".

Elaborate. Don't tell me something is and not be able to back it up.

Ok I see you did. First of all people don't even know what viking music was because none of it was written down. What you're hearing is folk metal with viking themes.

Compare Mithotyn's Gathered Around the Oaken Table (Viking) to Elvenking's Heathenreel (folk)...big difference. I don't dispute there's overlap between the two genres, but there are enough differences that distinguish each genre.