Most Melodic Opeth Song.

they are excellent at what they do, so its very stupid and close minded to say that they suck because you dont like what they do. Just leave it at "i don't like them" and thats enough.

well, that's kind a exactly what that singer of CoB does all the time when he bashes yet another band for not being metal and guitarmasturbating enough ...

Just leave it at "i don't like them" and thats enough.

Well that's what I've been trying to explain. Sorry if I came across as an ignoramus...
It's just not my cup of tee and sounds boring to my ears.
To each his own!

PEAC OUT

Sorry if I started a flaming contest by mentioning CoB but listen to the " Silent Night,Bodom Night " or " Hate Me "...These are melodic songs there aren't much riffs in it.

well, that's kind a exactly what that singer of CoB does all the time when he bashes yet another band for not being metal and guitarmasturbating enough ...

Firstly, what alexi laiho says about other badns is pretty irrelevant to the point i was making.
Secondly, as far as i know, John Petrucci is pretty much the only guy that alexi flames because he thinks hes too cold and emotionless. Yes he deserves a smack in the head for saying that. Although in later interviews he admitted that john petrucci was a much better guitarist than him.

Firstly, what alexi laiho says about other badns is pretty irrelevant to the point i was making.
Secondly, as far as i know, John Petrucci is pretty much the only guy that alexi flames because he thinks hes too cold and emotionless. Yes he deserves a smack in the head for saying that. Although in later interviews he admitted that john petrucci was a much better guitarist than him.

He bashed Opeth pretty hard as well ...
And it is very relevant. I judge people by their own standards, I treat them accordingly, so if he thinks it's appropiate to behave in such a way, then he should expect pretty much the same stuff back.

And to cob-haters. I challenge you to listen to the whole song "kissing the shadows" without getting at least one hard-on during the song :p

Just listened ... no hard-on. Guitar-masturbating chaos in a simple format.

edit: I can understand how this shit is appealing to many people though, and how it can be fun when drunk and wanting to just have a good time. But don't act as if it's of the highest standard ...

I don't hate CoB.
That's a strong word, I just don't like their music and attitude AND kissing the shadows ^^,
and maybe i'd hate it if I had to listen to it when I'm in a bad mood.
And maybe that's because I used to listen to similar music like Blind Guardian (apart from the vocal arrangements, which are way different) and a lot of other melodic power metal-whatever bands but that is like 6 years ago for me and it just doesn't do it for me anymore and I'm a bit fed up with this stuff...

Anyway, this thread turned into COB-talk :loco:

He bashed Opeth pretty hard as well ...
And it is very relevant. I judge people by their own standards, I treat them accordingly, so if he thinks it's appropiate to behave in such a way, then he should expect pretty much the same stuff back.

Just listened ... no hard-on. Guitar-masturbating chaos in a simple format.

edit: I can understand how this shit is appealing to many people though, and how it can be fun when drunk and wanting to just have a good time. But don't act as if it's of the highest standard ...
Firstly, when did he bash Opeth? What did he say? Ive never heard of this.

Secondly, im not saying its the highest standard, nor should you say it isnt the highest standard, its all relative to personal taste. cob happens to be one of my favourite bands because i enjoy the guitar/keyboard melodies that combine elements of classical music and metal.

Well, here's how I'd describe the two things:

Melody = A "singing" line, something you can sing along to. Often played/sung on top of a riff or chords.
Riff = A unison rhythmical thing, which can be melodic, but in most cases is more chord/power chord-oriented.
QUOTE]

I can guess that your definition is exact - If I would've known what 20% of the words in it mean, I could have said it with full confidence.

Anyway I'd go with TLA too, I suppose.

:headbang:

I'd have to say Face of Melinda hands down. Especially the live version. I always get an urge to sing along to that song alone. ( Even fill in the awesome YEAH! in the live one XD )

Well, here's how I'd describe the two things:

Melody = A "singing" line, something you can sing along to. Often played/sung on top of a riff or chords.
Riff = A unison rhythmical thing, which can be melodic, but in most cases is more chord/power chord-oriented.

Opeth's riffs often incorporate melodies, for example the opening riff of Hex Omega.
The beginning of Porcelain Heart has one guitar playing a melody, on top of a riff which the other guitar plays with the bass.

Pretty much every song on Orchid and Morningrise are filled with melodies and melodies, sometimes two different melodies interconnecting (this is called polyphony), so my guess is some song from one of those records!

i learned all these terms in intro to music class :)

but yeah i would have to go with something from morningrise, and moonlapse vertigo

I have no understanding of how The Leper Affinity could be their most melodic song....wouldn't more of the harmonic stuff from Orchid or Morningrise be more melodic? I'm going with Night and Silent Water, In Mist She Was Standing, or Forest of October.