Movies

Yeah, like I said dudes, it doesn't compare to the original - considering the original is an actual masterpiece of filmmaking.
However, I rather liked it. Maybe I'm fucked up. It can't be good for someone to watch extremely violent images but it was still fun. I also liked the notion of Myers being human as opposed to the devil incarnate. If you'll recall, that vision allowed producers to make a nearly endless string of SHITTY Halloween sequels. The idea of him being an extreme psychopath made it a bit more realistic, and in some ways, scarier. Yet, nothing trumps Donald Pleasance peering over the railing only to see that the Shape has moved on - after getting shot five times.

I just watched Die Hard 3 (or Die Hard With A Vengeance) the other day. I think that's actually my favorite of the bunch based on the chemistry Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson had. Plenty of implausible plot twists, but a heckuva lot of fun. The scene where Bruce Willis and Samuel Jackson meet is priceless.

HOSTEL II ... wtf?!?!?! it suffered from the fact that I knew what was going to happen all along ... but the ending had a nice twist regardless.

the first one wins for more titties and hotter chicks.

I just watched Die Hard 3 (or Die Hard With A Vengeance) the other day. I think that's actually my favorite of the bunch based on the chemistry Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson had. Plenty of implausible plot twists, but a heckuva lot of fun. The scene where Bruce Willis and Samuel Jackson meet is priceless.

I love all 4 of those movies :kickass:

I haven't posted a list-o-shit-I-dun-seen since March, so this post will be pointlessly long and I'll likely give up long before completion, not unlike a drunken choking session.

Inland Empire
Without a doubt the strangest Lynch film, and that is saying something. I watched it once and plan on buying it sometime in the future because it stuck in my head pretty fierce for a spell afterwards. Of note: I live in the Inland Empire, and while this shitty locale isn't the entire focus of the "story," the rednick hillbilly atmosphere was pure gold, the limited amount it was shown.

Grave of the Fireflies
Beautiful, stunning, and DEPRESSING. I sobbed like a bitch, and then had a drunken anti-American rant afterwards.

The Corporation
I couldn't make it through this without having a few drinks. Sometimes when I think I'm being too hard on My Country Tis of Thee, I watch something like this and realize that I'm not doing enough to make some sort of radical, completely necessary, change.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Highly disappointed in this one after Oldboy. It was beatiful to watch, but the story just lagged and I didn't give a shit about the characters. I still plan on watching the third one soonish though, watching Oldboy a second time was even better than the first.

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
HORRIBLE. Awesome to look at, but exquisite fight sequences were so repetitive it became mundane. Where was the story? There was barely any dialogue!

Identity
Still a great one. :)

Citizen Kane
Finally watched this! I wasn't quite as blown away as perhaps I should have been, but given the time this was made it is hard to argue that it was anything short of brilliant. Reminds me of a visit to Haight-Ashbury a few years ago, except those dudes just whispered "green buds..." *rimshot*

Blow
Not as good as I had hoped, but I haven't watched a doperun movie in some time and it was fun enough.

Uno
I didn't know Sweden had bros until I watched this. Okay movie, I rented it because Ulver did some of the tunes. :loco:

La Cravate
hahahahahahaha freakin' cool.

Metallica: Some Kind of Monster
FUCK YOU.

Y Tu Mama Tambien
I didn't know Alfonso Cuaron until Harry Potter, but that and Children of Men are absolute masterpieces so of course I had to watch this one. Very well done, and only overshadowed by the fact that I watched them out of sequence I'm sure.

Shane McGowan: If I Should Fall From Grace
Need to quit drinking? Watch this. What a genius gone to complete fucking waste. :erk:

2001: A Space Odyssey
One of my favourite movies ever. The woman fell asleep due to lack of interest. D'OH!

A Fistful of Dollars
Finally watched this all the way through, instead of just in 20 minute segments on KTLA Channel 5

Alien
Has lost precious little in terms of awesomeness over the years. Best part: when the alien spreads her arms for Beardo, as if saying "gimma a hug, soldier!"

Waiting for Guffman
Awesome. Funny. Creepy.

Croupier
I do believe this was the first independent movie I saw, not long after it came out (late 90s?). Probably enjoyed it more the second time, now that I'm becoming a bit of a film snob. :loco:

A Mighty Wind
Awesome. Parker Posey never looked hotter, I think I jerked off during the ending credits with her bouncing about.

Black Snake Moan
Surprisingly good and quite different than expected, I really enjoyed this. Plus Christina Ricci as a WHORE. :kickass:

Zodiac
If I would have grown up during that era, I know I would have loved this. As it is, I liked it while appreciating the immense attention to detail.

Satin Rouge
Pretty slow movie about some Aye-rabian single mom turned dancer, but the last 10 minutes were AWESOME and made it completely worth watching.

Mallrats
I've watched this one countless times and never liked it, even if I've always been a huge Kevin Smith fan. Until this viewing, and for whatever reason, I loved it!

X: The Movie
Great visuals, but I don't remember what the point was. Still plan on watching the series. I guess.

Galaxy Quest
Funny + dumb. Fundumb. WHORENUN.

Clerks 2
Just as slightly above average as the first time. Nice beastiality scene.

Fetishes
Freakin' cool. The redhead had some serious issues, but the rest were perfectly normal people who just enjoyed spankings. Very solid as a documentary.

Waking Up in Reno
More fundumb.

Five Easy Pieces
Up there with Deliverance as far as Movies Men Watch Because They Are Men.

Swingers
Finally watched this. Freakin' cool like his other shit. Why is he wasting time on a dumb superhero movie now though?!

Jesus Camp
See The Corporation above. Scary.

Stranger than Fiction
Pleasantly surprised with this one, much better than expected. Very intense ending.

The Fountain
Reminded me of that one Flash game I always forget the name of, where the wee dude has to save his ship from imminent doom. SAMAROST, god dammit it took me 15 minutes to figure the name out like usual. Why do I never bookmark the fucking thing? Oh yeah, so the movie was rad. Interesting how it was halfmade once, cancelled, then completely redone.

Marie Antoinette
PIECE OF SHIT PIECE OF SHIT PIECE OF SHIT DIE.

Closer
I never liked Julia Roberts until... nevermind, she still sucks. "BECAUSE I'M A FUCKING CAVEMAN!!!" is probably the best line since "GIMME BACK MY SON!!!"

Babel
See Marie Antoinette above.
Surviving Desire

Stealing Beauty
I want to be in this movie, wherever it is, even if I just mildly enjoyed it on the whole.

Children of Men
Five. Fucking. Stars. :worship:

Me Without You
Good, but frustrating. More of a womanmovie I guess.

MirrorMask
Very unique looking with a typical faerytale story. Cool makeup, and the big bad witch was HOT.

The Spaghetti West
Freakin' cool. I need to watch more westerns, I hated that schtick when I was a kid for whatever reason.

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Better the second time, still doesn't make complete sense but why should it?

Grizzly Man
That dude is my hero, the toughest pseudo-femme dude in history.

Probably watched a lot more, but these were from Netfux. :loco:

Dude just wait until C.H.U.D. shows up along with yet another underground Iranian film that nobody but people who have sex with Persians will watch. :kickass:

Yeah, it's certainly a strong contender for the best of the series. I'm waiting 'till 4 comes out on DVD so I can watch them all in a row and decide for sure which is my favourite :)

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Better the second time, still doesn't make complete sense but why should it?

You know there's a new film out? Based on the standalong complex, it was shown at a film festival here a few months back. I thought it was a lot better than #2 :) And I thought Jesus Camp was good. Scary as hell, but good ;)

Saw Hallam Foe yesterday which was a pretty odd love story/coming of age tale. Certainly had its moments, if uncomfortable to watch. Also watched Family Guy the movie, Naked Gun, Shaun Of The Dead, and Princess Mononoke while working yesterday. Was cool, although some of those were a bit shit :)

@NAD:

The Corporation
I couldn't make it through this without having a few drinks. Sometimes when I think I'm being too hard on My Country Tis of Thee, I watch something like this and
realize that I'm not doing enough to make some sort of radical, completely necessary, change.

Totally agree. Our country is screwed. And to think that the whole corporation = person came from a misreading of some notes added by a clerk. WTF?!!

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
HORRIBLE. Awesome to look at, but exquisite fight sequences were so repetitive it became mundane. Where was the story? There was barely any dialogue!

Dunno why I bought this blind instead of netflixing it. Yeah, cool animation, but the story was even weaker than the actual Final Fantasy movie.

Identity
Still a great one.

Agree. Love it.

Citizen Kane
Finally watched this! I wasn't quite as blown away as perhaps I should have been, but given the time this was made it is hard to argue that it was anything short of brilliant. Reminds me of a visit to Haight-Ashbury a few years ago, except those dudes just whispered "green buds..." *rimshot*

Yeah, I felt the same way. Not blown away, but it's still good and was a huge step forward in movie making when it came out. Speed Racer is getting all sorts of press for having backgrounds in focus, and I'm like "hell, Citizen Kane did that 60 years ago, without digital effects".

Y Tu Mama Tambien
I didn't know Alfonso Cuaron until Harry Potter, but that and Children of Men are absolute masterpieces so of course I had to watch this one. Very well done, and only overshadowed by the fact that I watched them out of sequence I'm sure.

I tried to watch this on IFC a few years ago. Bored the hell out of me, and I really don't want to watch teenage boys masturbating. Blech.

Alien
Has lost precious little in terms of awesomeness over the years. Best part: when the alien spreads her arms for Beardo, as if saying "gimma a hug, soldier!"

Has always been my favorite of the series, although Aliens is a close 2nd. This movie scared the hell out of me when I was 9.

Waiting for Guffman
Awesome. Funny. Creepy.

Boooooring. Spinal Tap this is not.

Black Snake Moan
Surprisingly good and quite different than expected, I really enjoyed this. Plus Christina Ricci as a WHORE.

Agree.

Zodiac
If I would have grown up during that era, I know I would have loved this. As it is, I liked it while appreciating the immense attention to detail.

One of the best movies this year so far, IMO. Kept me glued to the screen, despite being almost 3 hours long and meandering a lot.

Mallrats
I've watched this one countless times and never liked it, even if I've always been a huge Kevin Smith fan. Until this viewing, and for whatever reason, I loved it!

I think this is the only Kevin Smith movie I've seen all the way through. It's ok, nothing more, nothing less.

Galaxy Quest

Yep. Good times. I was camping in Goblin Valley when they filmed the scene with the rock monster. Good times.

Stranger than Fiction
Pleasantly surprised with this one, much better than expected. Very intense ending.

Love it.

The Fountain
Reminded me of that one Flash game I always forget the name of, where the wee dude has to save his ship from imminent doom. SAMAROST, god dammit it took me 15 minutes to figure the name out like usual. Why do I never bookmark the fucking thing? Oh yeah, so the movie was rad. Interesting how it was halfmade once, cancelled, then completely redone.

Didn't know they redid it like that. Definitely a movie more to be felt than understood. I like it more the more I think back on it, and I usually hate confusing stuff (like David Lynch).

Marie Antoinette
PIECE OF SHIT PIECE OF SHIT PIECE OF SHIT DIE.

Precisely. I thought Lost in Translation was the most boring movie ever until this (which is a sequel, of sorts, for those who don't know).

Closer
I never liked Julia Roberts until... nevermind, she still sucks. "BECAUSE I'M A FUCKING CAVEMAN!!!" is probably the best line since "GIMME BACK MY SON!!!"

Yeah, enjoyable flick. Good acting all around. You forgot to mention Natalie Portman as a stripper :D

Babel
See Marie Antoinette above.

Didn't hate it as much, but it's a wannabe Crash, which was a wannabe Magnolia. Magnolia is great, Crash is good, this is junk.

Children of Men
Five. Fucking. Stars.

Best movie since Eternal Sunshine, possibly even better. Might be my favorite movie ever.

Y Tu Mama Tambien

on of my favorite movies ever. Wish Cuaron made more like it.

Children of Men
Five. Fucking. Stars.

had great potential but turned into too much action towards the end, which in itself was lacking.

jimbob said:
Galaxy Quest

Yep. Good times. I was camping in Goblin Valley when they filmed the scene with the rock monster. Good times.
Ha! That's fucking rad.

Agreed that Children of Men is the best movie since Eternal Sunshine. I recently watched that for a second time, that movie is pure genius.

With CoM, it wasn't so much the action or story that did it for me, just the way it was presented. The single-shot stuff was just mindblowing, in particular that last big scene with Clive Owen running about. If Robert Altman directed Terminator, it would've been like this.