Movies

People tend to really love or really hate his work... either way, he has an ability to get incredible performances out of even lame actors (see Heather Graham) and take already amazing actors to even more impressive levels. I'm not sure anyone could make DDL a better actor than he is, but it's likely to be intense.

Eastern Promises :kickass:

Been laid out today with a bit of fever and body aches and caught up with some flicks ... properly rewatched The Departed ... Marty deserved the Oscar, but the movie did not.

Knocked Up. Not bad. I don't know why everyone hates it. There are some truly uproariously funny parts, namely the "doorman" scene and the "Steven Hawking" scene. Pure brilliance.
Also, Katherine Heigl is knock-out gorgeous. She and Adriana Lima own everyone.
Finally, the birth and some other lines were pretty realistic.

she was hot a s fuck in SWINGERS ... and her melons were all over KILLING ME SOFTLY where she was getting one rogering after another.

as an actress however ... not really great.

bah...I'm not really into her anymore. Her look is kinda borderline...I dunno, dollbabyish.

I watched a British gangster movie called Rollin' With The Nines last night - not bad, there's a couple of pretty good action scenes (a shoot-out in a Yardie crack-den and a car chase that spills from the roads into a forest), and a nice stylish, energetic feel (there's a wicked montage showing the history of violence of a certain shotgun). The acting can be quite flat and awkward, though, and the characters are a uniformly unlikeable bunch. Worth a punt, though.

Gerry - Just finished watching this, very interesting. It's an extremely minimal film staring matt damon and casey affleck. I heard about it before hand, but i wasn't sure how barren it would actually be. There were five minute long shots of just the characters walking along. Long shots of just mountains and skies, or the two figures off in the distance. The plot is basically the two of them getting lost in a desert and are trying to find a way out.

There's barely any dialogue throughout the whole film. Both of them seem to be lost in their own thoughts and getting out. The desert cinematography was breathtaking, especially a scene towards the end. The camera is fixed on a vast desert plain with the clouds blocking the suns rays casting a massive shadow in and out. The acting , although subdued was excellent. There's a scene with affleck where he just looks completely distraught. Truth be told, there were parts of this that were downright sinister, i could almost feel the desert cold at night just watching them. The ending was especially ominous. The music (by Arvo Part) also gave it a sparse, melancholic tone. The film was akin to listening to a dark ambient album o_O

The Futurama movie has it's moments, but it isn't great. Although since you do see Leela's ass I'm tempted to call it the greatest movie ever.

This is an actual shot from the movie (they visit the nude beach planet :kickass:)
405-06.jpg

futurama1.jpg

Gerry - Just finished watching this, very interesting. It's an extremely minimal film staring matt damon and casey affleck. I heard about it before hand, but i wasn't sure how barren it would actually be. There were five minute long shots of just the characters walking along. Long shots of just mountains and skies, or the two figures off in the distance. The plot is basically the two of them getting lost in a desert and are trying to find a way out.

There's barely any dialogue throughout the whole film. Both of them seem to be lost in their own thoughts and getting out. The desert cinematography was breathtaking, especially a scene towards the end. The camera is fixed on a vast desert plain with the clouds blocking the suns rays casting a massive shadow in and out. The acting , although subdued was excellent. There's a scene with affleck where he just looks completely distraught. Truth be told, there were parts of this that were downright sinister, i could almost feel the desert cold at night just watching them. The ending was especially ominous. The music (by Arvo Part) also gave it a sparse, melancholic tone. The film was akin to listening to a dark ambient album o_O

Sounds really interesting, I'll see if I can download it somewhere

Also, Arvo Pärt is a really cool composer, I started listening to hime after I had seen him mentioned in this forum's excellent classical music thread