Movies

watched werner herzog's Stroszek last night...weird, quiet and depressing but interesting. apparently he used a lot of non-actors for certain parts (including the lead), but it has an interesting effect. recommended if you're looking for something bleak as all fuck.

Cool, I'll definately keep it in mind. The guy who plays the main character really impressed my in Herzog's Kaspar Hauser -- have you seen it?

Other than that I haven't been that impressed by Herzog; neither Fitzgeraldo nor Aquirre did very much for me

Haha, wtf

IMDB about the guy in question said:
The unwanted son of a prostitute, Bruno S. was beaten so severely by his mother at age 3 that he became temporarily deaf. This led to his placement in a mental institution; he spent the next 23 years in various institutions, often running afoul of the law. Despite this past, he a self-taught painter and musician; while these were his favorite occupations, he was also forced to take jobs in factories such as driving a fork lift. Director Werner Herzog saw him in the documentary Bruno der Schwarze - Es blies ein Jäger wohl in sein Horn (1970) and vowed to work with him, which led to his major roles in _Jeder für sich und Gott gegen alle - Kaspar Hauser (1974)_ and Stroszek (1977). He was very difficult to work with, though, sometimes needing several hours of screaming before he could do a scene.

Can't wait for this one to come out:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3_H596gLuY&feature=related[/ame]

Can't wait for this one to come out:

trailer
Ugh, I'm so fucking sick of the "black-haired girl/woman in a white dress doing creepy shit" motif. Why, oh why, must it be put in nearly every new horror movie? It's so played out that it's become indicative of a shitty paint-by-the-numbers movie rather than actually being scary or unsettling. :puke:

Ugh, I'm so fucking sick of the "black-haired girl/woman in a white dress doing creepy shit" motif. Why, oh why, must it be put in nearly every new horror movie? It's so played out that it's become indicative of a shitty paint-by-the-numbers movie rather than actually being scary or unsettling. :puke:
Umm...
Dude, this movie is actually made by Gogol's story "Viy" (spirit of Evil and death in ukrainian\russian myphology - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viy_(story) ). There are 3 other short movies about it (since 1909). The "black haired woman" is a witch that is supposed to be there (following the story (that has been published in 1835)).
It's a goddamn epic shit.

yeah, Ebert said it best ... that both Hoffman and Hawke get so lost in their characters that you literally forget their other works. That's fucking acting!

Umm...
Dude, this movie is actually made by Gogol's story "Viy" (spirit of Evil and death in ukrainianrussian myphology - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viy_(story) ). There are 3 other short movies about it (since 1909). The "black haired woman" is a witch that is supposed to be there (following the story (that has been published in 1835)).
It's a goddamn epic shit.
Fair enough, didn't know that. Unfortunate for the movie that it legitimately uses what's become a modern horror cliche. I'm sure I won't be the only person to have this misconception.

You're my new hero. I've been meaning to say this for years. Thank you!

Unfortunate for the movie that it legitimately uses what's become a modern horror cliche. I'm sure I won't be the only person to have this misconception.
Not really. The movie isnt about black haired woman. It's about devildom. Like i said - Viy is the spirit of death (he's male, old man with his eyelids and lahes that reach the ground, all covered with dirt and dry leaves).
This movie is gonna be on international 'market', but main target will be post-soviet countries, and they are familiar with russian classic.

There will be Blood sucked. It sucked donkeys. Granted. the performances given by Daniel Day-Lewis (who plays Daniel Plainview) and Paul Dano (who plays Eli Sunday) were superb. But the movie is long, drawn out and about truly unlikable characters. And when I say "unlikable", I mean it's hard to determine who the bigger asshole is, Plainview or Sunday. Even after sitting through the first 2 hours and 15 minutes, we nearly shut the movie off during the final 15, because it was just that uncomfortable to watch.

Zod

/\ Good to know, I've been waiting for some real feedback on that one. I'm definitely a Daniel Day Lewis fan, but when I saw how long the movie was, I need compelling storyline hold my interest and it looked like they missed the boat on that end. Great performances can only carry you so far.