Movies

/ Good to know, I've been waiting for some real feedback on that one. I'm definitely a Daniel Day Lewis fan, but when I saw how long the movie was, I need compelling storyline hold my interest and it looked like they missed the boat on that end. Great performances can only carry you so far.
I'm curious to hear what some of the other folks around here think. Based on the critical acclaim this movie received, I won't be surprised if I'm in the minority.

Zod

i fucking hate Paul Thomas Anderson's MAGNOLIA ... and this just seems like more pretentious drivel. He seems to make movies that are excercises in acting.

that being said his first movie HARD EIGHT is one of my favorite movies ever ... BOOGIE NIGHTS was great but needed 30 minutes cut from it as well.

i don't think i even care to watch TWBB.

Not really. The movie isnt about black haired woman. It's about devildom. Like i said - Viy is the spirit of death (he's male, old man with his eyelids and lahes that reach the ground, all covered with dirt and dry leaves).
This movie is gonna be on international 'market', but main target will be post-soviet countries, and they are familiar with russian classic.

I'm wondering if you haven't seen many American horror films of the past several years. Grazim points out a cliche that has infiltrated every lame PG-13 horror film since The Grudge - that of a woman (or child) with black hair that attempts to be "creepy" by walking upside down, moving at double-speed, or shimmering as if underwater, etc.
I don't think he was saying the story is lame, but that the movie is lame because it rehashes old (and unscary) effects.

I totally understand what grazim is saying.
And I explained that the movie/story is not about that shit that american\japaneese movies used to use in their subjects. No need to compare. The bitch is just a little part of the whole story and isn't like a stereotype that we all are used to.

There will be Blood sucked. It sucked donkeys. Granted. the performances given by Daniel Day-Lewis (who plays Daniel Plainview) and Paul Dano (who plays Eli Sunday) were superb. But the movie is long, drawn out and about truly unlikable characters. And when I say "unlikable", I mean it's hard to determine who the bigger asshole is, Plainview or Sunday. Even after sitting through the first 2 hours and 15 minutes, we nearly shut the movie off during the final 15, because it was just that uncomfortable to watch.

Zod

Horrible movie.

I thought There Will Be Blood was awesome.

I liked the idea that the asshole, in the end, got exactly what he wanted. He manipulated people through his entire life and to the end of the movie; it was just an odd film and the tension was so fucking high, I loved it.

Say you are a false prophet and that God is a superstition!

In spite of its slow rhythm, latent sense of humour ans seemingly inoffensive settings/characters, The Wicker Man is one of the most disturbing movies I've seen in a while - the original, not the dumbass remake with Nicolas - gimme more crap storylines - Cage.

And the soundtrack is pure gold for fans of Comus/Sol Invictus/bawdry tavern songs.

And I want to travel back in 1974 and fuck Britt Ekland senseless :oops:

It wasn't awful, but it certainly didn't live up to the hype. And from what my wife tells me, completely different than the book.

For what I was expecting, I was actually pleasantly surprised. No great shakes or anything, but when I saw Will Smith's name attached to it I thought it was just going to be corny and campy like Independence Day or Men in Black. I like the serious atmosphere they were going for at least.

But yeah, epic fail in comparison to the book, where Will Smith's character is the one who unkowingly becomes a legend in reverse in a world poplulated by vampires. HE'S the one who actually becomes feared and given a cult monster status based solely on his need to survive. An interesting reverse perspective on what it would be like to actually be a vampire.

In spite of its slow rhythm, latent sense of humour ans seemingly inoffensive settings/characters, The Wicker Man is one of the most disturbing movies I've seen in a while - the original, not the dumbass remake with Nicolas - gimme more crap storylines - Cage.

And the soundtrack is pure gold for fans of Comus/Sol Invictus/bawdry tavern songs.

And I want to travel back in 1974 and fuck Britt Ekland senseless :oops:

So it's been how long and you haven't seen this yet?

but yeah, probably the coolest movie ever.

I am a wuss. I have just downloaded The Exorcist and even thought I have seen it a few times before I don't dare to see it just before bed. Have to wait until it's daylight.

Saw The Assasination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford today and it was quite good. Good acting all around but the movie was bleak and depressing overall.

Rewatched Nikita and it is still quite good after 18 years.

MICHAEL CLAYTON ... another absolute tour de force by all involved. totally unexpectedly awesome.

probably the best I've seen Clooney act.

I read about a movie called Shaft (or Down in the US) in a recent New Yorker and it happened to be on Comcast On Demand so I watched it the other day. Man, what an absolute piece of shit.
I had to watch it though because it had the dubious distinction of being released the weekend before 9/11 and it's about a possessed elevator in New York's tallest building that kills people. In fact, there's an amazing segment where the President holds a press conference and claims that New York's most significant landmark has "just been attacked by terrorists". Pretty interesting. Coincidence? I think not. :lol:
Anyway, there are several distance and in-the-background shots of the towers and it made me wonder, does anyone know if the plane-tower collisions were caught on camera by any film crews? I don't mean deliberately - but just during routine filming.
One last thing: Naomi Watts is in this movie and provides an incredibly bad performance, but one month later, she went on to star in Mulholland Drive, which, of course, is awesome.