Movies

Sin City was indeed awesome. V for Vendetta looked like a movie for angsty teens. I can't watch stuff like that.
I'm growingly increasingly disappointed in movies in general. Every single one that comes out of the Hollywood machine is based on a novel, a previous movie (which was probably based on a novel), or a comic book. There's literally nothing original. And the movie industry, for all intents and purposes, is only 75 years old. What are they going to be churning out another 75 years from now?
Of course, there's the independent scene but those movies, at least for me, are usually pretty unwatchable.

Aaron Eckhart as Two Face.

2yxexdx.jpg

ok ... several nude doggystyle Marisa Tomei scenes ... sold yet?
OK... so the wife and I watched Before the Devil Knows Your Dead, last night. I had no idea this was the movie featuring Ms. Tomei as described above. As a matter of fact, I wasn't even aware she was in it. Anywho... the moving opens with Ms. Tomei on all fours. I'm still not aware it's Marisa. Eventually, she rolls over, and I see that it's her. I turn to my wife and say, "Hon... now that I know that was Marisa, we need to watch that scene again from the beginning."

Based on the first 30 seconds of this movie, it should have won last year's Oscar. As for the rest of the movie... wow... was it dark. Although there were a few small story holes, it was a compelling story. Philip Seymour Hoffman was excellent as always. Ethan Hawke was surprisingly good. Overall, a good movie, made brilliant by Ms. Tomei's lack of clothing.

I also watched this weekend:

Saw II - I was shocked at how good the first one was, and even more shocked that the second one had an ending on par with the original.

Manda Bala - An examination of corruption and class warfare in Brazil as told through the stories of a wealthy businessman, a plastic surgeon who assists kidnapping victims and a politician whose income relies on a frog farm. A truly disturbing documentary. Suffice it to say, I never want to go to São Paulo.

Sweeney Todd - I had no idea this was a musical. It didn't matter. Burton created an amazing backdrop. Depp, Helena Bonham Carter and Alan Rickman were all superb.

The Ten - a quirky comedy, made up of ten stories, based on the ten commandments, with reoccurring characters and a bit of an all-star cast. A very strong rental, if you're in the mood for a comedy that's a little different.

Zod

Did anyone watch the Mist???

Holy crap......... very intense movie and the ending will tear you apart.... great movie, great atmosphere all along.

I remember seeing the trailer for 30 Days of Night and thinking to myself, "What an awesome concept for a vampire flick". Add in, the special effects and lighting looked awesome (from the trailer), and I was very pumped to see this movie. Since it's release, the few people I've spoken with who saw it, all seemed to have the same impression... it wasn't that good. Anywho... I sat down to watch it last night, half thinking I would end up turning it off 30 minutes in, but ended up loving it. Awesome movie. The story, performances, lighting, and effects were all very strong. Recommended.

Zod

What movies have you seen lately, whether it be at the theater or rentals? I've seen these within the past few days:

Jeepers Creepers 2
What a disappointment. In fact, this was crap. The Creeper was cool as hell, but those damn kids were horrible actors given shitty lines. I wanted them all to die. On top of that, the movie wasn't even scary.

hahahaha I've been wanting to see this since I first read J.'s post here. It was on USA yesterday. It truly is so fucking bad and unscary that I just turned it off after about five minutes. :lol::loco:

I remember seeing the trailer for 30 Days of Night and thinking to myself, "What an awesome concept for a vampire flick".
I remember seeing it and thinking "What a lame and cheesy crap concept for any flick", and since I do believe I'm right I've never bothered finding out facts.

/Mike the kool