Movies

I dug it - I didn't completely love it or anything (I thought some of it was cliche ridden and predictable), but the "intense" scenes were indeed intense and the setting and atmosphere had enough going for it to draw me in. However, I loved the scene where all the vampires where standing around the horrified girl and then no one comes to save her and she dies horribly (that was anything but cliche). Then they had to go and have the scene where the old man walks outside because he's senile and his son follows him out and immediately buys it (horribly cliche).

A mixed bag but definitely worth it overall for the best qualities.

Really? I've always been a fan of vampire movies. The idea of setting a vampire flick in a place where the sun never comes up, is a pretty cool slant on the myth.

Zod

I'm more a fan of Nosferatu-style vampires than both the cheesy romantic classy kind and the 90s sexy gothic orgy in the night-kind, and those are rare in nowadays movies... I like the outcast lurking in the dark, not the superior (often hot) killing machine that would conquer the earth if it just learnt to use sunblock.

Feel free to recommend a few kickass vampire movies though, I'm willing to reevaluate! (From Dusk til Dawn is ace so that one doesn't count... And Interview with the Vampire)

I dug it - I didn't completely love it or anything (I thought some of it was cliche ridden and predictable)...
I forgave it the cliched scenes, as they're impossible to avoid when you're doing a vampire movie.

However, I loved the scene where all the vampires where standing around the horrified girl and then no one comes to save her and she dies horribly (that was anything but cliche).
I also enjoyed the sheriff's decision on how to battle the head vampire at the end. And the final scene, at sunrise, was a nice little twist on a romantic theme.

Zod

I forgave it the cliched scenes, as they're impossible to avoid when you're doing a vampire movie.

I suppose that makes sense, but if you're able to release an effective vampire movie without utilizing cliche victim scenes, that a complete positive in my book. I don't necessarily mean the "cross", "sunlight", "holy water" type cliches, but the victimization scenes themselves you know? That scene with the son following his old man was completely unnecessary IMO. I mean, who could've possibly not seen his instant death coming? It's amazing to me that they were capable of both inspiringly original scenes like the one with the girl I mentioned, combined with scenes like this.

General Zod said:
I also enjoyed the sheriff's decision on how to battle the head vampire at the end. And the final scene, at sunrise, was a nice little twist on a romantic theme.

Agreed, and it further shows how the makers were capable of originality when they wanted to truly display their creativeness. Then they had to go and balance it out again by scenes like the one guy falling into the gearshift mechanism (again, who didn't see that one coming?). But absolutely, the best scenes and ideas where executed well and I'd recommend seeing it for that reason.

I'm more a fan of Nosferatu-style vampires than both the cheesy romantic classy kind and the 90s sexy gothic orgy in the night-kind, and those are rare in nowadays movies... I like the outcast lurking in the dark, not the superior (often hot) killing machine that would conquer the earth if it just learnt to use sunblock.

Feel free to recommend a few kickass vampire movies though, I'm willing to reevaluate! (From Dusk til Dawn is ace so that one doesn't count... And Interview with the Vampire)

You've seen Salem's Lot right? Full on Nosferatu vampire in that one and James Mason's performance as the vampire helper gives the flim that much more credibility.

That scene with the son following his old man was completely unnecessary IMO. I mean, who could've possibly not seen his instant death coming?
I looked at this in two ways... first, I saw it as a foreshadowing of "doing what you had to protect your own". Second, that in such a situation, dealing with the elderly or children would be an issue. Your going to always have a small group of Olympic athletes.

Then they had to go and balance it out again by scenes like the one guy falling into the gearshift mechanism (again, who didn't see that one coming?).
Yeah... there were scenes where the foreshadowing was way too obvious. Early on, you knew someone would buy it on that gearshift mechanism as well as on that crazy ass rig that took out the lead female's SUV early on.

Zod

I looked at this in two ways... first, I saw it as a foreshadowing of "doing what you had to protect your own". Second, that in such a situation, dealing with the elderly or children would be an issue. Your going to always have a small group of Olympic athletes.

So you're saying that one was a cliche, but a realistic cliche? Hmm... possibly. I dunno, I just saw the whole "I have to find him!" as overdone in horror movies. I'm also tired of shock value scenes where things jump out at you all of a sudden or friends come up and grab you on the shoulder and stuff to make the audience jump. Anyone can write that stuff into a film. True intensity comes from originality.

I never have. Worth renting? Will it stand up or will it seem dated?

Tough to say - I like the atmosphere, but I could easily see how you would find it dated (I know we tend to differ on earlier cult movies and how they come across when seeing them for the first time today). It's definitely more about atmosphere than makeup though, so at least you won't have to worry about cheesy special effects or anything. I'd say it's worth a rental.

Worth a rental?
" 'Salem's Lot" is superior to all vampire movies...and it was made for TV no less.
Also, the way Ben Mears's Jeep door NEVER shuts is ace.

Worth a rental?

I'm with you 110% believe me, I love it as well, I was just trying to look at it through Zod's eyes and how he might react to it knowing his tastes. He historically hasn't been a fan of outdated/cult classic type horror films. From my own perspective, it gets a HUGE recommendation.

dorian gray said:
"Salem's Lot" is superior to all vampire movies...and it was made for TV no less.

Yeah, they really butchered it for TV though, lots of scenes cut out. But it definitely has far more of a movie feel than a TV feel though. Have you ever seen it on DVD? If not, put it at the top of your list, it flows much better.

dorian gray said:
Also, the way Ben Mears's Jeep door NEVER shuts is ace.

Heh - indeed, talk about realistic. :loco:

You've seen Salem's Lot right? Full on Nosferatu vampire in that one and James Mason's performance as the vampire helper gives the flim that much more credibility.
No idea what that is, will look it up and probably watch it soon though!

Vampires should be outcasts hiding away from the light, feeding on the misery of man.

So you're saying that one was a cliche, but a realistic cliche?
Actually, I didn't see it as being a cliche. I was merely explaining how I viewed it.

I'm also tired of shock value scenes where things jump out at you all of a sudden or friends come up and grab you on the shoulder and stuff to make the audience jump. Anyone can write that stuff into a film. True intensity comes from originality.
I agree. I don't care for that either. If I recall, they only did that once. I suspect it's done early, to make sure they've got your attention.

Zod

I'm with you 110% believe me, I love it as well, I was just trying to look at it through Zod's eyes and how he might react to it knowing his tastes. He historically hasn't been a fan of outdated/cult classic type horror films. From my own perspective, it gets a HUGE recommendation.

Yeah, they really butchered it for TV though, lots of scenes cut out. But it definitely has far more of a movie feel than a TV feel though. Have you ever seen it on DVD? If not, put it at the top of your list, it flows much better.

Heh - indeed, talk about realistic. :loco:

Agree with everything in this post.

Yeah, I've seen the uncut version (VHS) as well as the TV version a couple times each.

Actually, I didn't see it as being a cliche. I was merely explaining how I viewed it.

Gotcha. Man, I sure saw it that way though. Either way, we agree it's worth seeing, which is the main thing.

General Zod said:
If I recall, they only did that once. I suspect it's done early, to make sure they've got your attention.

Been awhile since I saw it in the theaters, so I wasn't sure if or how often they used that tactic, but it's soooo been done to death. It does get your attention though - I've fallen asleep to a few movies at home and woken up due to the sudden noise associated with those scenes on numerous occasions.

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skulls Whatever
Wow. This sucks. You might ask why I went to a movie I knew was going to suck beforehand and my answer would be that the wife had free tickets and she wanted to see it. Otherwise, this one's a stinker....unless maybe you're 11 years old. Or Krigloch.

Oh yeah. Saw Death Proof today. LOL @ taking place in Lebanon, TN. Otherwise, pure shit. The novelty of the "grindhouse" theme wears off after approximately 3.8 seconds. The few bright spots were Kurt Russel's hair and Eli Roth's character. The entire TN segment was completely and totally unnecessary. Quentin Tarantino is the most overrated person in cinema, and high in the running for most overrated human being of all time.

Michael Clayton. Not sure what the big deal was here. The more I think about it, the more irritated I get that this was supposed to be an awesome movie. It's about as deep as a kiddie pool. So, Clayton is a genius but doesn't realize that the defendants in a trillion dollar lawsuit have bugged the phones of their suddenly insane leading litigator? OK.

Michael Clayton. Not sure what the big deal was here. The more I think about it, the more irritated I get that this was supposed to be an awesome movie. It's about as deep as a kiddie pool. So, Clayton is a genius but doesn't realize that the defendants in a trillion dollar lawsuit have bugged the phones of their suddenly insane leading litigator? OK.
I'm with you on this. I just don't get why people thought this flick was anything special.

Zod