Movies

The Town? ... i didn't see the Heat bits ... and I've seen Heat loads of times ... there really is no way to rip off a Mann movie.

i think Affleck proved himself with the first 2 flicks ... both were solid movies/stories.

this Argo looks like the most ambitious yet.

now only if he would also take himself out of the cast.

You didn't see the Heat "bits" in the town? There is no bits seeing as the entire movie is a ripoff. It's well known as a Heat ripoff, and if you don't see it, you should watch again.

Cronenberg is the man. My favorite films by him are Dead Ringers, The Fly, and The Brood. See those if you haven't.
I love The Brood, haven't watched The Fly remake, and never even heard of Dead Ringers. Unless it's that one with the twin gynecologists played by Jeremy Irons, in which case I've heard of but haven't seen yet. That's creepy enough right there to make me poop myself.

Tonight I watched Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. That movie still rules face.

That new Cronenberg film looks cool. I have one of that DeLillo dude's books but haven't read it yet.

Addams Family Values, It Happened One Night, and Cronos. All awesome for a variety of their own reasons.

I tried reading a Delillo book a couple years ago. Unreadable. I don't even know if I still have it. If I do, it's on its way to you.

538141_10151145482408868_27178063867_13262794_1087765371_n.jpg

Finally watched Drive, and I thought it sucked. Lame characterization, lame music video scenes, lame taking-thirty-seconds-to-say-two-words misty-eyed lameness. I'm not sure why anyone was motivated to do anything in this movie. Nor did I care. MONTAGES DO NOT DEVELOP CHARACTERS.

5/10

Prometheus.
I wanted to love this movie. It is mediocre. Characters you don't care about. Not enough scary moments. Plot holes. Plot twists you can see a mile away.
I give it 6.5 out of 10. Looks great in 3D.

I'll repost what someone else posted on IMDB. I agree with what he says.

Obviously this post is wracked full of Spoilers so read on at your own peril.

Well, I’ve just returned from the cinema and I feel totally unsatisfied. Considering all the excitement in the lead in, I actually feel very disappointed. Yes, as a standalone movie, not too bad but far from great. As a movie belonging to the Alien franchise - prequel Vs same universe debate, whatever, it’s wracked full of Alien references so there’s no getting away from the lack of honesty to the original Alien.

Aside from the general laziness of the writing, it’s the inconsistencies that trouble me the most. Let’s examine a few points:

- So the Space Jockey’s create the human race only to decide (for whatever reason) they’ve made a mistake and intend to wipe us out with a biological weapon (aka the Alien). Fine. However, if they’re developing this themselves and bringing it to Earth on their own spaceships then why the need for the star map inviting us to come and find them? I can try to rationale this as this was prior to their deciding to wipe out the human race. This however is one of many plot lines left very much unaddressed. Very sloppy indeed.

- It was my friend that picked up on this so don’t shoot the messenger if I’m quoting out of place. This planet is on LV226 where as our Alien story begins on LV426 – effectively we’re on the wrong planet. I realise they end the film flying off to find the home of the Space Jokey but again this invites so many questions than leans towards the side of sloppy. This visually had all the markings this would be the same planet. Why would they go to another engineering planet for the Alien when they’re supposed to be looking for the SJ’s home planet, etc.

- If the SJ’s have been wiped out by this alternative Alien race….where are they all? Some minor mention of movement being detected on the scanner but then just skipped over.

- The first two that were killed off inside the spaceship seemed to be token deaths and just an excuse to start bumping off the cast. The snake like creature didn’t seem to fit with anything else we saw. Was this then what came out of the vases? Why then did the guy it entered simply die and not become a host? Why did the other guy sprayed with its blood become some kind of monster…which again seemed to have no connections with the story or alternative alien in general. Why did he go on a killing spree against the crew? None of this makes sense, again it just seemed an excuse to throw in some action.

- Michael Fassbender’s ‘David’ infected one of the scientist’s with I suppose the ‘seed’ from the vase. I’ve still no idea what his motivation was for doing this. Initially I thought he would evolve in to a SJ (based on the comments of giving anything to find the answers they came for). All other evidence from the movie suggests this couldn’t happen as it would actually be the seed for the alternative alien. If the point of the trip ultimately was to make Weyland young again via a SJ then this screams inconsistencies.

- Why have Guy Pearce play an old man if they were going to kill him? Why not just use…an old man?! Throughout the movie I expected him to be successful and be made young again (which would have made sense then for Guy Pearce to fill the role), but no.

- So the SJ brings out his pilots chair, dons his helmet and is in a prime position to be faithful to Alien where he’ll later be found by the crew of the Nostromo. Brilliant I thought and how faithful to the total story – even if I wasn’t certain at that time how he’d come to be impregnated. A few minutes later, the SJ is out of his seat and being killed in a completely different spot. Very, very disappointing.

- Not so much a plot hole but please people, did we learn nothing from Alien Resurrection? If you’re going to create an alien to replace the classic ‘Alien’ that we all love and adore, it has to be one that can instill the same level of terror if not more. What on earth were those things? Useless!

I feel I’m missing some complaints due to memory fail, I’m sure others will fill in the gaps later. Ultimately this was a total disappointment. Neither scary nor gripping in any way, shape or form.

Alien was brilliant. A couple of very simple ideas put together to create a masterpiece. Prometheus is the culmination of brilliant ideas, yet far too many to fit together in the space of a single movie. As a result we’re left with a big mess of unpursued story lines, plot holes and unanswered questions.

Shame on all those involved with this movie. I was convinced this would be the movie of the year, rather it’s turned out to be the greatest disappointment I’ve incurred in as many years as I can remember.