Movies

What movies have you seen lately, whether it be at the theater or rentals? I've seen these within the past few days:

Jeepers Creepers 2
What a disappointment. In fact, this was crap. The Creeper was cool as hell, but those damn kids were horrible actors given shitty lines. I wanted them all to die. On top of that, the movie wasn't even scary.

Underworld
Another disappointment. The best performance was given by Kate Beckinsdale's sweet ass proudly displayed in tight leather. The plot had great potential, but poor execution. And why the fuck do vampires always look like damn Versace models?

American Wedding
Definitely the worst out of the 3 American Pie films, but still a good time, especially the bachelor party scene. They should have just called this movie The Steve Stifmeister Show. The movie centered around him, while the actual wedding was a background story.

The Last Samurai
A masterpiece, even if it is Dances With Wolves with Tom Cruise and Samurai instead of Indians. Lots of blood, great acting, and a good story. Love the whole "die with honor" thing. One of the best of 2003.

haha..nice reviews, I agree with you on all of them though I did enjoy Underworld though I too was disappointed. Jeepers Creepers 2 is crap as you say and yes The Last Samurai is a masterpiece, I love that movie. American Wedding would to me have been a bigger disappointment than Jeepers Creepers 2 and Underworld if not for me having lowered my expectations before seeing it, for I would not have missed much if I had not seen this movie.

dude the spider ending was like 6 minutes. and the new/(book?) ending in the film was really whack

i didnt mind the ending. It seemed close to the 90s version (just talking about the 1st chapter where they are kids) in that they basically beat up IT and he escapes into the sewers. I do wish the new one had used the "magical weapons" as in the 90s version and the book (silver bullets/earrings and the battery acid spray) instead of just pummeling the monster with a baseball bat.

Of course, both versions leave out the Ritual of Chud (where Bill goes inside the macroverse and into the mind of IT and has to beat him through a battle of wills; Bill wins with the help of Maturin the Turtle, who is one of the Guardians of the Beam in The Dark Tower), which I guess would confuse a bunch of King neophytes, unfamiliar with his universe.

Either way, the Pennywise actor owned the movie. His facial expressions were super creepy, and the increase in gore was appreciated. A few more kid kills would have upped the suspense (Eddie Corchoran gets killed by the creature from the black lagoon, and another gets killed by man eating leeches or something).

I truly hope/wish they will create a King Universe (like MCU or DCEU) with the remakes of The Stand and Salems Lot getting us going. Of course, all his works tie into The Dark Tower, which will require a Harry Potter type book-to-movie ratio to properly execute. And for everyone to forget the Elba/McConaughey disaster.

Reactions: dorian gray
@Manic Ferocity brought up a good point about the new Pennywise looking so evil that it defeats the purpose of using the image of a clown to lure children. It seems to lack that duality that Curry nailed.

That said, I haven't seen it yet.

Nah, just watch the full Georgie scene. He can seem "friendly", especially with his whimsical voice. But at the drop of a hat, dude turns unnerving.

he looks so goofy, especially with the voice and buckteeth. it doesn't make sense to me and can't imagine anyone finds him friendly or terrifying.

"magical weapons" as in the 90s version and the book (silver bullets/earrings and the battery acid spray) instead of just pummeling the monster with a baseball bat

feel like the new one not having this loses the point of IT in the first place : It's all made up and it's a kids fantasy thing. The new one tried to tackle this idea but was not properly demonstrated IMO
Either way, the Pennywise actor owned the movie.

feels like this is an objectionably wrong opinion, but weird times. Curry > Swedish dude in every, every way.

Reactions: dorian gray
Just got done watching The Matrix trilogy.

I still think the first is the strongest. I enjoy the hacker/clubber thing going on with the whole wuxia wire-action (a la Iron Monkey etc) and bullet-ballet meets science fiction elements. It was quite stylish and yet still grounded in contrast to the following films.

By the third film it had really begun to fall apart in an attempt to be too vast in its scope, with an over-reliance on CGI and stunt doubles. Though the battle for Zion scenes reminded me of something pulled straight out of Warhammer 40k.

Amusing to see Laurence Fishburne go from slim and fit in the first film to kinda chubby in the last. I guess all that success in 1999 inspired some slothfulness that caught up to him in 2003. :lol:

Last night I watched Sergei Bodrov's Mongol again, Tadanobu Asano always rules in anything he's in.

Right up there with Braveheart, Gladiator and Conan the Barbarian for me in terms of epic action cinema. 9/10.

saw Pacific Rim 2
if you saw the first one, the sequel is exactly what you would expect it to be
right down to a scene where the characters figure out why the kaiju want to come through the rifts

"Lords of Chaos" with perfect american english in Norway and Culkin jr as a leading actor, anyone? :)

Watching Halloween 2. It’s weird how you think you saw something just recently but it was like 15-20 years ago.

@J. i started death note the other night. Looks pretty fun. Imma finish it this week

Uhh have yet to see the first (reissue) of IT. Just read J.’s and Jerry’s reviews. Read the book years and years ago. I thought the 90s miniseries was incredibly stupid. I felt there was no possible way someone else could do any better and laughed at the premise. The book is just *that* amazing. King at his drug and alcohol fueled best. Should I check it out?

"Lords of Chaos" with perfect american english in Norway and Culkin jr as a leading actor, anyone? :)

Nope

Movie of the year so far is Midsommar. Only movie I've watched too so...
Great twisting of genre expectations, a visual and musical treat. It has flaws to be sure but it's the type of flaws you happily compromise with as they actually serve the experience rather than distract from it (suspended disbelief and all that...)

Plus Swedish hippie murdering cult and psychotropes galore, I'd sign for that any day of the week - provided Comus is headlining the festivities of course