MP3 player questions

I like a separate player purely cos of the battery issue. The new phones need so much recharging, esp if you use them as media players. I just always forget to recharge phones etc, so like the separate player.

Bought a Sandisk Clip + off ebay recently after old Creative Zen broke down. The Clip+ is tiny. Can fit it in your mouth easily. Only 4gb, but you can stick microSD cards into it. Battery life is excellent cos it's such a simple screen and can'rt do anything but play music!

First iPhone 4 impressions... surprisingly snappy/responsive when I want to make a call so far (albeit with virtually nothing else installed yet). Highly annoying is the 'proximity sensor' which turns the screen off when it detects it's near your face and turns it back on when you take the phone away from your ear. The idea is nice but the implementation sucks balls. No way to disable it that I'm aware of yet.

Highlight: jailbreakme.com - the freedom to do what you want with a device you paid for is so much easier than it used to be (no credit to Apple here).

Lowlight: iTunes dependance.

Highlight: VMware + OSX = iTunes functionality without it polluting Windows (no credit to Apple here).

Music (which I guess is the whole point of this thread): through the generic uncomfortable earbuds that come with the iPhone, nothing noteworthy (neither good nor bad). Through a pair of MDR-EX700's, really good but still no noticeably better or worse than your typical $10 SD-card based disposable MP3 player. 32Gb (realistically 23Gb, minus whatever app/video/etc space you use) is not overly generous but it's more than enough if you don't expect to carry your entire music collection around with you all the time (or don't have much music).

So despite my rant above, I'm pretty happy with it so far as a combined phone/MP3 player. It's still early days though...

You can run OSX in VMware now?
The easiest way to do it is just download one of the pre-installed VMware images which have been doing the rounds on torrent trackers for years (try Google "pcwiz" or "xelabo"). If you're feeling more adventurous there are a few places like insanelymac's forum or LifeHacker which have guides on doing it yourself.

I don't know if it's because I've installed from a 'distro' instead of vanilla/retail, but the main down side is no VMware tools support (or at least I haven't been able to get the ones from VMware Fusion to work). That means no hardware video accelleration and in turn a relatively sluggish experience. If you can get past that, it's fine for general use. I'm using it partly to sandbox iTunes but mostly for the iPhone SDK and I find it runs tolerable on a C2D 2.6Ghz/4GbRAM. Slightly but not significantly more responsive on an i7-980/24GbRAM. Video drivers are the main bottleneck.

Yeah, the headphones seem pretty good quality for standard issue. My only beef so far is that the screen doesn't look half as amazing now that I have stuck on a screen guard. I will be checking out car cd tuners tomorrow at jb hi fi. I'm looking to get a cd face with a USB port and bluetooth. The spending spree hasn't stopped yet!!