MP3 players and such, your opinions.

I don't want to go deaf, hence I play my music thru the computer which isnt all that loud. And when i'm out I just play whatever in my head. Works for me.

Agree'd. actually, i take my laptop with me to work every day because i type shit up on breaks on it, so since i have it anyway i don't see the need to get a separate music player. I don't use in-ear headphones though. Those suck.

I'll second the recommendation for the Creative Zen; my Zen Sleek Photo kicks ass & was a huge step up from my old RCA Lyra which was lost (along with my much-missed Nintendo DS) thanks to the TSA leaving my suitcase pocket unzipped.

Zen's are plug & play, drag and drop USB devices. It functions like a USB flash drive that self-organizes music movies and pictures, and plays pretty much all the formats. Much simpler than the iTunes bullshit.

How the hell is that not how the iPod functions? You connect it to the USB port, iTunes automatically runs and you just drag stuff onto the iPod icon. Not to mention the Zen's software looks exactly like the iPod's (so Apple must be doing something right if other companies are blatantly ripping off their software), without the ease of navigating by the click wheel. Its possible there are mp3 players that might have better audio, but given where I'm using the iPod (through my shitty car stereo, on trains, while working out etc.) it really doesn't need to have the best audio quality. And I don't use WMA files or anything other than mp3s or AACs so the fact that the iPod doesn't play WMA files doesn't bother me.

Anyway, I'm backing out of this discussion now, because arguing in favor of Apple is a lost cause among people who will bash anything having to do with them merely because its the cool thing to do, or some dumb shit like that. Computers are flawed, all of em, get over it.

i love my ipod, and itunes itself is a pretty decent program, however i can't update mine from the original version that came with my ipod - creates ALL sorts of problems for my computer, so in that sense its quite bad.

how easy is it to get the battery replaced anyway?

and the only reason i have an ipod is someone bought it for me as a present. i probably wouldnt spend that amount of money on getting one myself.

the battery is super easy to replace on an ipod, as is the hard drive, should that ever crap out. i did it myself because both my battery and hard drive died, and i called apple...my warranty had run out (it was an older ipod), and they said it was going to cost some ridiculous amount of money to fix. so i bought a battery for $20 at best buy and a 40GB hard drive off ebay for $50, used a guitar pick to open up the ipod, and replaced 'em both. of course, only do this if your warranty is out, otherwise you obviously void it by opening it.

as for buying an mp3 player, i'm not fussy. to me, the sound quality is never great on them anyway since the files are compressed to aac/m4a/mp3, so if i'm going to go for something with exceptional sound quality, i just listen to cd's at home/work/car (or minidisc player when i'm feeling bored and want to fill up minidiscs with music, ha).

i do, of course, have mp3 players, and i bought them for what i needed: the bigger ipod (once 20gb turned into 40gb) for traveling. really helps for 16 hour flights, long road trips, people who snore in hostels, etc. i also bought the 1gb ipod shuffle recently, mainly because it has the built-in clip; i run a LOT, and that was why i bought it. (i'll admit, i do love the way apple products look, too).

i don't need video options or picture options or anything like that. personally, not a big fan of watching videos on a 2inch square screen - but that's just me. i will admit, though, that i'm an apple/mac fanboy, and i do like the way they look. if i WERE to change, and get a portable media player, i really like the Archos products.

*this is about a year old, but might be worth reading:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11297_7-6510133-1.html

*this, too:
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/electronics/mp3-players/index.html

@ Matt: Actually buddy, if you'd done your homework you'd know that Apple stole all their interfacing and firmware ideas from other small companies. The other small companies sued and lost because you can't win against a megaconglomorate with tons of money.
In 2005, Apple Computer faced two lawsuits claiming patent infringement by the iPod and its associated technologies:[55] Advanced Audio Devices claimed the iPod breached its patent on a "music jukebox",[56] while a Hong Kong-based IP portfolio company called Pat-rights filed a suit claiming that Apple's FairPlay technology breached a patent[57] issued to inventor Ho Keung Tse. The latter case also includes the online music stores of Sony, RealNetworks, Napster, and Musicmatch as defendants.[58]

Apple's application to the United States Patent and Trademark Office for a patent on "rotational user inputs",[59] as used on the iPod's interface, received a third "non-final rejection" (NFR) in August 2005. Also in August 2005, Creative Technology, one of Apple's main rivals in the MP3 player market, announced that it held a patent[60] on part of the music selection interface used by the iPod, which Creative dubbed the "Zen Patent", granted on 2005-08-09.[61] On 15 May 2006, Creative filed another suit against Apple with the United States District Court for the Northern District of California. Creative also asked the United States International Trade Commission to investigate whether Apple was breaching U.S. trade laws by importing iPods into the United States.[62]

On 24 August 2006, Apple and Creative announced a broad settlement to end their legal disputes. Apple will pay Creative US$100 million for a paid-up license, to use Creative's awarded patent in all Apple products.
Let me know if you want source links.

Oh wait, you connect it to the USB port, iTunes automatically loads. That's the point Matt. You don't NEED iTunes for the Zen. It's like a portable hard drive. Drag + Drop. You can do it on any computer, iTunes or not. Any format. Did I mention Zen doesn't have any DRM bullshit on it, right out of the box? No need to hack the thing and get 3rd party software workarounds. How about Zen's timely and purposeful firmware updates that, at least in my experience and those of the people I know, actually improve performance rather than cause issues?

And once again, I'm glad you concede the point that Apple is not an audio company and are out of their element making audio specific products. Zen's up/down touch sensor beats the stupid wheel as well, because it makes more sense when you associate it with what's happening on the screen. The menu highlight bar moves up and down as your thumb moves up and down. No rotation required. Did I mention it has all the same features and more and it's cheaper? Did I mention it has better circuitry and battery life averages?

The only arguments for iPod are: 1. There are more accessories for it. But you know, this is changing quickly with a quick glance at Creative's website.

2. It looks nice. Personally I disagree but it IS a fashionable item. But wait, fashion has jack shit to do with quality and a lot to do with superfluous image.

I don't want to go deaf, hence I play my music thru the computer which isnt all that loud. And when i'm out I just play whatever in my head. Works for me.

That's why I put a lock on the volume control because the first few weeks I had it I was putting the volume all the way up and it soon started to damage my hearing, but now it can't go past about 60%.

I have an iPod. I dig it. I don't like the iTunes requirments, but there iDump does well enought o get around the drag-n-drop limitations Ken hates. I've heard of others having battery problems, but I haven't (yet). My only regret for buying the iPod is I wish I had bought the 80-GB model.

That's an issue that plagues all hard disks. You buy a 250GB drive, you only really get about 232GB of useable space. This is because technically, it's a 232GB drive. The one you're talking about is technically a 27.8GB drive.

But hey, it's bad marketing to sell it as 27.8 so why don't we round up to a nice misleading number like 30. That's seriously how it works.

You guys sure have a lot of music! I have a 6GB iPod (Actually 5.something) and I can fit most of the music that I like (and have) on it. It does the trick for me. I hate the earphones that come with iPods though. The left one started to sound like crap on mine after a few months.

That's an issue that plagues all hard disks. You buy a 250GB drive, you only really get about 232GB of useable space. This is because technically, it's a 232GB drive. The one you're talking about is technically a 27.8GB drive.

But hey, it's bad marketing to sell it as 27.8 so why don't we round up to a nice misleading number like 30. That's seriously how it works.

The reason for the space discrepancy is that on marketing four-color glossies, they are citing drive space in terms of "decimal" billion (1 gig = 1,000,000,000 bytes) where as the computer will report the drive capacity in terms of "binary" billion (1 gig = 1,073,741,824 bytes). Thus for a 30 gig iPod, you have:

30 x 1,000,000,000 bytes = 30,000,000,000 bytes

30,000,000,000 / 1,073,741,824 = (appox) 27.94 gigs. However, there is indeed a small amount of the space in an iPod used for the firmware and other supporting files (such as files used by iTunes to help manage the library and such). Of course, I would not be surprised if the same thing is true on the Creative Vision:M as well.

Of course, the same thing is true with harddrives in general. Take the 250 gig example:

250 x 1,000,000,000 bytes = 250,000,000,000 bytes

250,000,000,000 / 1,073,741,824 = (approx)232.83 gigs.

As to the original question as to which MP3 player to get to replace an aging iPod. Well, the first and obvious is to just fix the iPod by replacing the battery. It would be the cheapest option, and as others have said, it is not difficult to do.

If you are really dead set on replacing the iPod with something newer with a bigger capacity, the next option would be simply to get a new iPod (if you are going to - might as well bite the bullet and go all the way and get the 80-gig model). If you really like the iPod and don't mind iTunes, ignore the "iPod bashers". They are entitled to their opinion and I actually agree with some of their points, but in the end, who really gives a fuck? If you are happy with what you got, continue to use it!

Of course, getting the Creative Vision:M would be an excellent choice. In fact, I wanted to get one myself when I was looking for a harddrive-based MP3 player, but nobody in this area had them! So I ended up "settling" for a 30-gig iPod (now wishing I did get the 60-gig that was available at the time, as I have my 30-gig completely full, so whenever I want to add new stuff, I have to remove some of the stuff I already have on there). I do have a "solid-state" MP3 playing in the form of the Creative MuVo Slim, but it is a few years old and only hold 512 megs. But hey, it works perfectly for it's intended purpose in that I needed something small and durable that I can use while working out at the gym, plus it really does have a good sound quality. And admittedly, I'd much prefer being able to just drag and drop my music into the player as it appears as another drive on my system. No special software needed to manage the device (although I can use it if I wish - hell even my trusty ol' copy of Winamp does it, as well as manage my iPod - yes, if you don't like iTunes, there are third-party programs out there, including one that will "force" the iPod to act like a regular drive to simply drag-n-drop music to (Anapod is an excellent choice, but alas, I do think it is bullshit to have to pay another $25 or so bucks to get something that should be native to the device in the first place).

Despite what some folks say, the iPod is definitely a valid and solid option. Most likely if my iPod craps out, I'll probably most likely just get another one, especially since my car has a dedicated "iPod interface", so it is friggan awesome that I can listen to it in my car without needing one of those crappy little "FM adapters". But, if you don't want to stick with iPod, then I would also recommend the Creative Labs Zen Vision:M.

What SkiBumMSP said... :p

I have a 30 gig video ipod. It does what I need it to do. I bought it randomly as I was in the shop at the time and could afford it.

The only reason I considered it is because I got sick of carrying around cd's for my Sony discman/Atrac3 player, which sounded awesome for a portable player.

As for itunes replacements, try this, I came across it last night and am loving it. It saids it supports portable players like ipods etc, though I haven't tried mine yet.
Songbird

I have a Zune and I must say that it is slick as hell. Not only does it have intuitive controls, but the interface is just perfect. You can set your own backgrounds, get radio, watch movies, and all the music you listen to will have the album art displayed on the screen which is really awesome.

Sound and video quality are super crisp and the screen is bigger than that of the iPod video's. Not only that, but unlike someone mentioned earlier, the video takes I believe 3 different formats. wmv, avi, and mp4.

The only thing the Zune lacks is accessories.

Very interesting! I went and dowloaded it. I'll have to try it out later.

It is rather cool, I keep calling it the illegitimate child of Firefox (which it is, it's obviously based on the firefox code base) and itunes (which it is roughly trying to replace, functionality wise)

What you end up with is a music player with all the functionality of itunes(and more), with a music orientated web browser combined in one

The best player I know is the Trekstor Organix (the older expensive ones), imo even better than the IPod. The only disadvantage is the capacity.

iPods rock. Why you ask? Well - it's a little computer - and if you do some digging - you can replace everything on it. ifixit.com

I thought mine was dead - but no. I replaced the battery - and reseated the connections for the hard drive - no issues since.

You can buy tons of accessories, and cheaply replace every part of the ipod. Not true for these other players.

I replaced my battery for $14. Delivered.

About iTunes - it sucks. I don't use it. You don't have to either. You can also use mp3's if you want. no problem - use mediamonkey!! It rocks - and does everything - and more - that itunes does. Need artwork - done! need mp3's ripped back to your hard drive -click, done!

www.mediamonkey.com - it's free. There is a 'pro' version - but you don't have to get it unless you want. It works fine in the basic version.

And - I use mm for my ipod (30 G), my son's shuffle, and both my daughters various players - a couple creative and something I can't remember the name of. Media monkey works flawlessly with all of them. Drag & drop.

:)

I have a Zune and I must say that it is slick as hell. Not only does it have intuitive controls, but the interface is just perfect. You can set your own backgrounds, get radio, watch movies, and all the music you listen to will have the album art displayed on the screen which is really awesome.

Sound and video quality are super crisp and the screen is bigger than that of the iPod video's. Not only that, but unlike someone mentioned earlier, the video takes I believe 3 different formats. wmv, avi, and mp4.

The only thing the Zune lacks is accessories.
Zen has these features too. How stable is Zune?

I have a 4gig iPod nano I got from a friend of mine who sold it to me really cheap (The only reason I got it in the first place, I would have never bought one brand new).

Also, I'm starting to have earphone issues as well.. And they're pricy to replace.