MP3 players and such, your opinions.

Empty Vision

The Accolade
Feb 15, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
The other day my iPod died, I have had it for somewherre between 18 months and two years which is how long that they say the battery only lasts for. It's a 20gb iPod and was before they bought in all the colour and video iPods, I have considered getting a replacement battery but I need more memory space anyway as it was at full capacity when it died.

I am considering getting something different to an iPod this time around but I'm not sure what else out there is good. If anyone here can give some tips on whats good and whats not in MP3 players then that would be cool.

actually, technically, an iPod is an m4a player, but still. I say get a bigger ipod.

I don't know, I have an 80 gB video iPod that I've only had for about 7-8 months now. So far, I have had no problems. iTunes is a piece of crap, but the actual player has worked fine.

I can't really comment on any other MP3 player, except to say that most people I know who have other MP3 players usually end up buying iPods simply because...well, iPod's are like Starbucks, they are pretty much impossible to avoid.

i like iTunes; it's a really straightforward player. It gets the job done for me.

I have an ipod too. I like it. I'm not looking for amazing sound quality in an mp3 player. itunes is fine, but I still use WMP because I like it.

Get a Creative Vision:M

1) cheaper
2) more features
3) better video quality in terms of # of colors
4) drag and drop mp3's
5) can use a number of video formats

I have one and although I don't use it much, it's great! No reason for me to hop on the iPod wagon. iPod's are solid, but IMO they are too expensive and the only thing that may make them have an edge on the competition is the number of accessories.

the Zune seems to be solid as well, but they only accept wmv movies I think, and their wireless thing is not valuable because you can only keep a song for 3 plays or something.

sooo....even though all of them are good as an mp3 player, here's my conclusion:

1) if you want accessories, get an iPod
2) if you want a big screen get a Zune
3) if you want a lot of features and cheaper price, get a Creative Vision:M

I recommend getting a player that allows you to use plain ole MP3s without restriction...no proprietary BS or required software. I've been using an Archos player for a few years and I love it (manually upgraded the 20GB HD in it for a 60GB after a while). I use an open-source firmware called Rockbox with it that works wonders...you can use it on various other players, even iPods.

Get a Creative Vision:M

1) cheaper
2) more features
3) better video quality in terms of # of colors
4) drag and drop mp3's
5) can use a number of video formats

I have one and although I don't use it much, it's great! No reason for me to hop on the iPod wagon. iPod's are solid, but IMO they are too expensive and the only thing that may make them have an edge on the competition is the number of accessories.

the Zune seems to be solid as well, but they only accept wmv movies I think, and their wireless thing is not valuable because you can only keep a song for 3 plays or something.

sooo....even though all of them are good as an mp3 player, here's my conclusion:

1) if you want accessories, get an iPod
2) if you want a big screen get a Zune
3) if you want a lot of features and cheaper price, get a Creative Vision:M

I agree. I got a Vision: M and if i ever lost it I would replace it with another one. I prefer it over the Ipod sound wise also.

Theres really nothing that is going to top the iPod IMO. I'm a mac user anyway, so it makes the most sense for me to use it, but I love the thing. I have a 60GB 5th gen (video). I've dropped the damn thing so many times you'd think I would have broken it by now but it still works fine. I don't have any problems putting mp3s on it, but I rip as AAC (m4a) files anyway since they're smaller and better quality.

edit: I also love using iTunes as well, but maybe because I'm using it on a mac... the only people I've ever heard complain about it are using the PC version.

i love my ipod, and itunes itself is a pretty decent program, however i can't update mine from the original version that came with my ipod - creates ALL sorts of problems for my computer, so in that sense its quite bad.

how easy is it to get the battery replaced anyway?

and the only reason i have an ipod is someone bought it for me as a present. i probably wouldnt spend that amount of money on getting one myself.

I've had an iPod Nano 8GB for five months... it's been good for me, no problems so far. I heard the old iPod's batteries die if you keep letting the battery run all the way out then charging it, but I'm not sure.

Theres really nothing that is going to top the iPod IMO. I'm a mac user anyway, so it makes the most sense for me to use it, but I love the thing. I have a 60GB 5th gen (video). I've dropped the damn thing so many times you'd think I would have broken it by now but it still works fine. I don't have any problems putting mp3s on it, but I rip as AAC (m4a) files anyway since they're smaller and better quality.

edit: I also love using iTunes as well, but maybe because I'm using it on a mac... the only people I've ever heard complain about it are using the PC version.

too bad iTunes fails compared to Winamp, too bad iPod bends over for Zen and too bad it costs you more just cause it's fashionable.

Zen = More durable, more reliable, cheaper, better support, better features. I am notorious for destroying electronics and I have not destroyed my Zen yet. I HAVE destroyed at least 15 CD players, an Archos MP3 player, and know many friends who have managed to easily break an iPod and gotten zilch help from the assholes at Apple. They make them essentially disposable so you're forced to buy more.
Zen's are plug & play, drag and drop USB devices. It functions like a USB flash drive that self-organizes music movies and pictures, and plays pretty much all the formats. Much simpler than the iTunes bullshit.

Oh yeah, and Creative Labs is a company that makes exclusively audio products. Unlike the Jack of All Trades Apple and Microsoft. They make shitty keyboards, shitty mice, shitty OS' and you'd expect them to make decent media players? The Zune does look nice, if MS isn't lying about the stats...

I strongly, strongly suggest anyone buying an MP3 player to fiercely compare features and specifications before buying, rather than going by what other people (including myself) have to say. You're just asking for opinions. Let the truth of their quality decide for you. I'm pretty sure iPod is a big loser.

I have a Creative Zen Nano Plus 1GB. It's pretty old now, but it's served me well. Has a lot of functions and you can find the batteries in the nearest store. I could fall asleep listening to metal though so the sound is not perfect, but you could fix that by getting some better ear-phones or use it with headphones. Creatives aren't bad for their price.

I have had an 1 GB iRiver for the past year, and have had no problems, it updates itself when I plug it into the program and is easy to use... I need heaps more space now, so I'll be getting a much bigger player, but I reckon I'll probably get an iRiver again. I pretty much just get songs from my cd's rip them onto WMP which compresses the files and transfer them onto the player...

I've had Sony MP3 player for over 2 years now. It's worked well for me, but I'll have to get something with more memory space next. This only storest 51MB, which is way too little.