Music for the Softies :D

What do you prefer listening when you want to just have a cup of hot tea and relax :p ? Name a few songs/artists/albums...

Concerning myself... I like listening to porcupine tree and to some post-rock bands like mogwai, mono, god is an astronaut etc.

It's supposed to be a metal forum, but I think many do that sometimes. :)

Behind early blackish/doom/death period of Katatonia, brutality of Morbid Angel, Bloodbath, At the Gates, Carcass, of course is place for easy listening like: The Kills, White Stripes, The Cure, Placebo, Kent and many more.

I actually listen to this kind of stuff more than I do metal stuff......I have just been in this mood for a couple years now.

Deep Forest-Music Detected.
Steve Reich-music for 18 musicians-.....this shit is incredible meditation music.....
Antimatter
Arab Strap
Enya
GARY JULES-----he is a storyteller-folk rocky kind of stuff-Brilliant!
Johnny Cash
Mike Oldfield-Tubular Bells
Mogwai
Nick Drake
RED HOUSE PAINTERS........
Sun Kil Moon
Ulver

Belle & Sebastian, Simon & Garfunkel, or Nick Drake when i want some folk/folk rock. Al Green, for some good soul music. Camel, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, and some slower stuff by King Crimson when i want some relaxing prog. David Sylvian, Bob Dylan, Scott Walker, Jeff Buckley and Tom Waits, when i want to listen to killer singers/songwriters. And finally...The Cure, Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, Godspeed you Black Emperor, The Gathering, Paatos and The Smiths for some great dark/sad music experience. There is much more ''soft'' music that i enjoy...but it is just a general idea of what i listen to besides metal or hard rock.

Early day miners, Red house painters, Godspeed you! black emperor, Kent, a perfect circle, anathema (especially their song 'are you there'!), devin townsend (he's got enough very beautiful, relaxing songs), katatonia (you might know 'em, they're good), Sun kil moon, anaal nathrakh

:)

Deliverance6 said:
I actually listen to this kind of stuff more than I do metal stuff
same here =)

I listen to that stuff for a reletively long time now, but I bought my first Sun kil moon cd in Stockholm and I feel it's a pretty significant step:)

Tone-Deaf said:
What do you prefer listening when you want to just have a cup of hot tea and relax :p ? Name a few songs/artists/albums...

One of the best bands for this is Shamrain. http://www.shamrain.net Especially their latest album, Someplace Else, is just brilliant. Just check out the samples that they have on their site.

Other bands that come to mind are Anathema, Katatonia, the Gathering, Antimatter, Kent, Blazing Eternity...

Def. post-rock stuff like Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, 65 Days of Static etc etccccccccccc.

Agalloch - Pretty much all of "The Mantle"
Billy Joel - Especially the song "The Downeaster Alexa"
Ihsahn - "The Pain is Still Mine", "Astera Ton Proinon"
Definitely "The Wall", the entire album. Perfect to just sit back and listen to.
My Dying Bride - "The Cry of Mankind", "For My Fallen Angel", "The Dreadful Hours"
Opeth - "Face of Melinda", "To Bid You Farewell"
Symphony X - "The Odyssey", Such a great song.

I usually listen to this kind of stuff when I am sleeping:

Agalloch
Godspeed you black emperor!
3rd and the Mortal
Within Temptation
Alas
Rapture
Shape of Despair
The Mist and the Morning Dew
also my favorite song probably is Opeth - Hours of Wealth, I would recommend this song for anyone, especially singer-songwriter fans :headbang:

metal forum hehehe.....

on to the subject, when feeling softy, i like to listen to some sarah maclachlan, counting crows, fiona apple, beatles, antimatter... oh what a poser i am!

It depends, it can be some prog rock like gentle giant, camel, area, banco, genesis, marillion, yes, etc, post rock like explotions in the sky, god is an astronaut, GY!BE, mogwai, sigur ros, or instumental jazz like miles davis, thelonious monk, john coltrane, chick corea, pat metheny, john scotfield, etc

antimatter
deftones(digital bath,be quiet and dive(acoustic version)
portishead
slowdive
team sleep
pink floyd

nick cave, swans, the gathering, lycia, slowdive, the cure, raison d'être, dead can dance, sisters of mercy, pink floyd, black tape for a blue girl, joy division, sigur rós, portishead, sad lovers and giants, ataraxia, tortoise, jesus and mary chain, the cult, leonard cohen, mark lanegan, nick drake, jeff buckley, tori amos, etc etc etc