Music for the Softies :D

anyone likes Strawberry Alarm Clock?
for those who are not familiar, take the beatles' magical mystery tour's sound, a little more psychedelic and you get strawberry alarm clock :)

I just bought

Ulver - Perdition City

I love it. I can't believe this stuff. I definitely wasn't expecting this type of music when I bought it.

Verwuestung said:
anyone likes Strawberry Alarm Clock?
for those who are not familiar, take the beatles' magical mystery tour's sound, a little more psychedelic and you get strawberry alarm clock :)

Strawberry fields forver...?

RutgeR said:
Enigma - MCMXC a.D.

Very nice!

Awesome, I'm noticing some Enigma fans here. :) This is great! For me, it'd be Enigma's LSD album (Love Sensuality Devotion) - still one of the best damn albums I own. There is something about their music that heals the soul and helps me relax. It puts me in a state of pure tranquility. And plus, this compilation imo has the best of the best as far as Enigma is concerned all in one, seamless experience.

Others I listen to a great deal for soothing, relaxation experiences are Conjure One, Delerium, various trance music (PVD, AVB, tiesto, Oakenfold, Dj Transid, etc.), Pink Floyd, David Gilmour, Mono, Sigur Ros, Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Jeff Buckley, Antimatter, Portishead, Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill soundtracks), Anathema, Ulver, and there may be more.....

When not listening to metal, it's mostly prog of some kind, but some of it is kind of crossover as well.

Ayreon, Marillion, Tull, Arena, Royal Hunt, Yes, IQ, Porcupine Tree, Oldfield, Rick Wakeman, Renaissance, misc folk-rock, etc.

Used to do more new agey kind of stuff, and still listen to Enya, but not lately.

Humm, the best non-metal, or softies are (imo)
Antimatter, Anathema, Pink Floyd, NIN, Nick Cave,
Red House Painters, Katatonia, Enigma, Enya...
And Magenta Skycode, This Empty Flow...
ShamRain...and..umm.. Sigur Rós. There are so many of those that I'm not
able to list all of my fav's here. :<

paradoxile said:
We have a very similar taste...except for Morrissey...I don't like them

Morrissey solo has some good songs too, but The Smiths were even better....
And I forgot Björk and Dead Can Dance - the most incredible female vocals, their music makes me almost cry.

I wouldn't consider some of these bands mentioned to be very "soft" lol. Anyways, here are some of the more mellow bands/artists that I enjoy -

Porcupine Tree
Blackfield
The Mark Lanegan Band
Agalloch
Green Carnation
The Cure
Anathema
Antimatter
Pink Floyd
Radiohead/Thom Yorke
The Gathering
Alice in Chains
Chris Cornell
Riverside
Jeff Buckley
Incubus
Muse
Explosions in the Sky
Giant Squid
Team Sleep
The Beatles

--

I prefer Tears for Fears than the cure as an 80's pop rock semi goth band overall as lighter music

hhm The Gathering, REM

Sigur Ros indeed, theyre beautiful, they always succeed in making me think about life as a beautiful thing,which is rare for me.

Someone mentioned Mono,one of its members has a side project called Left,which is simply beautiful too,but in the opposite direction,kinda darker but not gloomy.

Jerome Dillon,ex drummer for NIN also has a band called nearLY,which is a kind of trip hop/goth accoustic thing,kind of a marriage between Antimatter and Darling Violetta.

Codeseven is another good band for people who are into Dredg,Death Cab for Cutie,Postal Service etc

Carla Bruni, Cat Power, Fran&#231;oise Hardy, Kari Rueslatten, Camille and other female singers have also been a constant in my playlist

The Spherical Minds are a great french band which,if I recall,had Daniel Cavanagh from Anathema singing for them.

As for people who have been saying Ulver,NIN etc,I dont consider them as being light soft bands,they're more rock oriented nowadays,but even so,I dont take them as being soft

Tone-Deaf said:
What do you prefer listening when you want to just have a cup of hot tea and relax :p ? Name a few songs/artists/albums...

Concerning myself... I like listening to porcupine tree and to some post-rock bands like mogwai, mono, god is an astronaut etc.

It's supposed to be a metal forum, but I think many do that sometimes. :)

When I want to chill out a little bit( like I always do at saturday afternoon)
I will have some Giardini Di Miro, Yndi Halda, Yann Tiersan and Dirty Three with me :)

Reactions: °scarlet°