Musician users thread!

Sinner Poetry

Jul 3, 2008
Right, I searched for a similar thread in this forum but didn't find it. Hope there wasn't already one.

I would like to make this thread a place where users can share opinions on everything involving playing music (instruments, setup preferences, influences, inspirations, original songs etc.).

Ok, let's begin ^^
If I had time I would like to learn all instruments, but still, wishes are not reality unfortunately.

I started growling 7 years ago, my main influence is Mikael Stanne (strange uh? :D). I like growling for its energy, its power. I would also like to learn how to sing clean well, but I am quiet horrified with my clean voice :D.I play in a band called Everdying, which exists since 2003. We play both covers and original songs.

Covers:
At The Gates - Blinded By Fear ()
At The Gates - Slaughter Of The Soul
Arch Enemy - Enemy Within ()
Dark Tranquillity - Punish My Heaven
Death - Symbolic
In Flames - Artifacts Of The Black Rain
Carcass - Heartwork
Opeth - The Funeral Portrait
Cannibal Corpse - Hammer Smashed Face ()
(Only one guitar in rehersal videos, so sometimes music is "emptier" then what it should be)

Original Songs:
Sinner Poetry
Telescopic Soul
Everdying
Trinity
Inquisitor's Fire
(all still work in progress, we are not satisfied with the result)

I use a Shure Pg58 wireless mic, only a little reverb on the voice (I totally dislike those who put a ton of effects on their voice, you want to growl? you'll have to spit blood! :D) and V equalisation (high treble and bass, low mids)... sorry for the approximative description... I'm not very much into tecnical things :D

I also have a black Ibanez RGR270 (on which I can play Happy Birthday pretty well :D + :( ) a cheap bass guitar and a shitty VS30R Marshall amp.

Now, advices, opinions about what should be improved judging from the videos or anything else is more than welcome.

All forum musicians, post something like this, I would like to hear your music (original songs or covers), know your band and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your band sounds pretty cool dude, you have a very nice growling technique.

I started growling properly about 5 years ago... though it took me a while to find a technique I'm comfortable with. I've been involved in a couple of projects and been a part of an album that had a limited release in the past, but I tend to disown most of that shit because I was still in my learning stage and it fuckin' sucked :D I take influences mainly from Anders Friden (N'Flamez Whoracle/Colony era), Mikael Stanne (of course ;D), Jesse Leech (Ex-KsE), Jocke Gothberg (Dimension Zero), and Speed (Soilwork's Predator's Portrait-Natural Born Chaos era). I suck at clean singing and so try to avoid it as often as possible :D don't really use many effects on my vocals... reverb, that's about it. Sometimes overdub low/high growls purely for the cool sound.

Just doing covers from various sources at the moment to keep my voice in shape. Have covered a bunch of songs by In Flames, a couple by Dimension Zero and some scattered songs from various other bands (including Sum41 :D) ... yet to do a DT cover because it seems impossible to find people willing to play their songs :erk:

A few examples...

http://media.putfile.com/artefacts - the most recent thing I've done, an Artifacts of the Black Rain [In Flames] cover. Instruments and stuff done by a friend who does covers on Youtube under the name Reflectivv.

http://media.putfile.com/Eraser-76 - a cover of "Eraser" off the new In Flames Mirror's Truth EP, instruments done by Schehf (Youtube again, check him out, he's fucking awesome).

http://media.putfile.com/SNF-31 - Silent Night Fever by Dimension Zero, lacking a little in quality.

http://media.putfile.com/Dystopia-30 - And for the sake of having an original song here, this is "Dystopia" off a project I did a couple of years ago when I was still trying to find a decent technique and apparently learning how to abuse the reverb button :D

I have been playing the bass guitar for over 4 years now. I play a bit of guitar on the side, and I am now looking to set up a bad mainly influenced by DT. I might play bass or guitar, but certainly I will be doing vocals. :p

heheheh
Dan

i used to play the guitar and piano a few years ago. Now i do nothing exept singing along with the music i listen to when i am alone at home

Is anyone else having weird drug associations here? Like either musicians doing drugs or people doing musicians the same way as drugs? o_O

@DE4life: nice! I like you very much on the Silent Night Fever cover... on the artifacts cover I think you should make it less John Tardy-ish but the rest is very good

@TheKorruptor: good, I still have to process what I just heard but it seems really good!

@MarcOpeth: Thank you very much ;)

Lately Ive noticed too many people focus too much on gear and sound. ( not here im talking like in rl people ) Its fine if say, you are recording a very part oriented album on a studio but I feel too many people pay through the nose for gear and end up sounding artificial, yet you have guys like Chuck ( R.I.P. ) who did ok with a simple B.C. Rich ( not even a fancy hand made "R" model mind you ) and a single humbucker at the bridge running his guitar straight into the amp.

And if you argue that he was not "refined" enough or whatever, listen to Victor Wooten. He also often dislikes talk about gear and mentions the most important thing about his instrument is playability, even above sound. And he is one badass bass player.

Lately Ive noticed too many people focus too much on gear and sound. ( not here im talking like in rl people ) Its fine if say, you are recording a very part oriented album on a studio but I feel too many people pay through the nose for gear and end up sounding artificial, yet you have guys like Chuck ( R.I.P. ) who did ok with a simple B.C. Rich ( not even a fancy hand made "R" model mind you ) and a single humbucker at the bridge running his guitar straight into the amp.

And if you argue that he was not "refined" enough or whatever, listen to Victor Wooten. He also often dislikes talk about gear and mentions the most important thing about his instrument is playability, even above sound. And he is one badass bass player.

It needed to be said. Thank you.