My Rectifier Recording Preamp tone (.mp3)

Pretty awesome. Makes me kinda want one to play around with!

Something isn't quite right though, IMO. With the fast picking flurrys.. it turns to scratchy top end only. That's just for my taste though. I'd probably try for a just a little more mid definition for thickness in the attack. But then it could be just that you need to play closer to the bridge, or mute it more lightly to let the note come through.

I really like the feel of it though. Please post up any other clips you do.

(btw - hooray for 5 minutes alone \m/)

Man that sounds thick and crunchy!! good sound there.. i loved every second of it..

And it sounds pretty close to me though.. might be that my ears are having an off day again.. hehe.. but it sounds brutal allready..

Would be interesting to hear this with slightly better drums and bass and vocals on it..

sounds mega tight man, my only complaint is that it's possibly a bit fizzy in the top end, and possibly needs a bit more girth in the lower-midrange- I know the lack of low-mids is giving it an amazing tight sound but maybe just a touch more midrange :headbang:

is that the recto preamp through a mesa 2.90? and through a marshall 1960a?

Awesome. Is that the preamp straight in? I love the dryness and balls in the tone, but it does have a bit of a muddy, digital sound about it, a bit like the PODs. If you were to tweak that to its full potential... then wow, it'd be a force to be reckoned with for sure.

What is this pre-amp recording device then? was this recorded with an amp?

I am curious..

And yes, some fizz in it as well.. just noticed.. you gotta like that or not.. i would cut it out a bit.. but that's taste.. sounds great to me..

nevermind.. found it..

Man, i got to get one of these babies.. your sample really sounds alive and like an amp is recorded... sell it to me now, and fortune will be on your side.. plus i will buy you all the polish/russian women you want! :)

blackcom...

Could you tell us your chain of recording? what guitar? soundcard? etc?

Also, what are the drums you used there?

Thanks!

Oki!

I'ts actually my intention to get a very tight super-crunchy sound.

I could perhaps add some around 500hz and roll off over 12k, but I actually like it that way...I think it sounds a bit original and very angry. I diden't want that new-popular-poppy-metal sound....

It's drum programming only and no bass.

The chain was: Rectifier Recording Pre (in modern mode) -> Rectifier 2:100 -> Marshall JCM800 Lead 4x12 -> SM57 -> API3124+.

I kind of wanted to hear your opinion cause everyone says the newer mesas are crap and the Recto Rec Preamp doesent use the regular rector tubes or something.., but I actually find it to be my favourite sound.