Help me improve my mix!! (.mp3)

Hey!
Glad you liked it!!

It was actually quite funny to record it cause the tune has a "certain" nu-metal vibe to it and the drummer is actually Tjodalv who used to play in Dimmu Borgir...

Anywayz...I only used mic outboard micpreams, no mixer....the mix and master done completely in the box using plugins..... The software is Samplitude...

I actually mixed and mastered simoustainly using master plugs on the out bus in samplitude... That way I could re-adjust stuff in the mix if the mastering would "change" things...

I used PSP MasterQ and Waves L3 Multi for the master....but i'm still kinda green on mastering....

We used mics and triggers (DDrum) on the whole drumkit exept the bassdrums wich was only triggered. We recorded the triggers as a midi-track from my DM5 and played back samples using NI Battery.

The snare is actually 'two' samples+real snare. How do you like the snare reverb...is it cool or too much? All verbs are the built in convolution verb in samplitude. exept toms wich was Waves Trueverb

.... eq was samp eq (toms) or Sonalksis (guitars, bass, OH and some other stuff )....

Compressors was Kjaerhus (bass), waves (C4 for guitars and OH) and Blockfish (snare).

We also put some effort in making me and the other guitarist play with the same quirks and so on...four guitars all in all....all Marshall into 57 into API.

The bass has both a clean and a distorted signal....no mics, only ampsims into API.

Synth where recorded straight into an FF ISA428...

The vox was a TLM 103.

After the weekend i'll post a new verson where my mlodic vocals on the end can be heard alot better...i'll maybe even post some more tunes...we have four all in all...

Anyway, all comments are appreciated....i'd like to get this as good as possible!

C'mon man... that is NOT a real drummer! It sounds like a series of about 12 or 13 loops sequenced in different orders using Fruityloops or something. I'm not knocking your song, or the mixing skills, or the overall recording/slash sound... but I've hashed out more realistic beats on a 1980 era keyboard. It's one thing to say "I programmed the drums using (fill in the blank)", it's an entirely different thing to make an outlandish claim like "oh yeah, thats the "X" drummer from Dimmu Borgir". The only time your "drummer" uses the toms is on a couple different "loops" halfway through the song. We all know that wouldn't be the case if it were an actuall drummer. There's no velocity changes, no dynamic and definitely no drummer.
Sorry for pissing in your Wheaties, the song is pretty cool. The guitar sound is great.

>There's no velocity changes, no dynamic and definitely no drummer.

This is exactly what I dislike in modern productions when they triggered all drums.
A samle as a addition is great but 100% triggered toms or snare _is_ ugly.
Bassdrum triggering is much to often a must to get contants beats.
And it can sound good if it is done well.

Hey, I tried the last 10 years to get an realistic drumcomputersound and the whole world now tries to simulate an ugly drumcomputersound even with real drummers...

good song. guitars rock!
what marshalls did you use?

vocals are very nice. and yes, bring the clean part up.

drums sound like some loop. very lifeless.
Just a matter of taste but I would drop the choir at the end or but it more to the background ...

DIOBOLIC5150 said:
C'mon man... that is NOT a real drummer! It sounds like a series of about 12 or 13 loops sequenced in different orders using Fruityloops or something. I'm not knocking your song, or the mixing skills, or the overall recording/slash sound... but I've hashed out more realistic beats on a 1980 era keyboard. It's one thing to say "I programmed the drums using (fill in the blank)", it's an entirely different thing to make an outlandish claim like "oh yeah, thats the "X" drummer from Dimmu Borgir". The only time your "drummer" uses the toms is on a couple different "loops" halfway through the song. We all know that wouldn't be the case if it were an actuall drummer. There's no velocity changes, no dynamic and definitely no drummer.
Sorry for pissing in your Wheaties, the song is pretty cool. The guitar sound is great.
Ouch, someone got trashed!

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
Ouch, someone got trashed!

Marshalls was JMP-1 -> Valvstate 120/120 -> JCM800 Lead.

Yes, it's for a fact Tjodalv playing and he's good.... He actually likes to trigger he's whole kit to get his sound, even the toms. There -are- velocity changes in snare and toms but not the bassdrums...they are triggered.... hell, I even used -two- mics on every tom + snare in addition to a trigger.

I kinda -knew- we'd be bashed for the drum sound, though....but we diden't go for at natural accoustic sound either. Listening at the tune with the regards to your comments I can understand what you mean....but it's suposed to be machine-ish.... I promise too god and my own grave... IT IS A REAL DRUMMER!

I -will- admit that we recorded one drum-part at a time and cutted them together to a song, but so does everyone else.

However, i'll take it as a freakin huge compliment...

blackcom said:
Yes, it's for a fact Tjodalv playing and he's good....

I -will- admit that we recorded one drum-part at a time and cutted them together to a song, but so does everyone else.

I don't intend to be snobbish, but why didn't you record a whole take of drums for the song? Considering the fact you have a great drummer behind the kit and all, it shouldn't have took him more than a few attempts to get it right, right?

It has already been said, but trying to make a drummer sound like a copied/pasted drummachine beat is in a weird way a bit of a slap in the face to blokes who spend hours and hours programming all the fills by hand :loco: .

I guess it's a taste thing, but when I hear my own crappy programmed fills several times during one song, it sounds like 'utter pants' to me.

Mind you, I'm not dissing anyone here :dopey:

Edit: Almost forgot to say this, it's well done man. I like the song and the mix. Drums don't sound 'live' but hey, if that's not what you were after than more power to you. Are you in the band or just doing the production?

I liked the mix as well. And the song isn't really too bad either. Not specifially my style but still a cool groove. Also if it is Susperia's drummer, then I guess I can see how it can sound like that. On their new album "Unlimited", the drums sound about the same, only not as loud. Either way, good job all around. :headbang:

Hi...I'm Pablo and I wrote from Chile.

I like so much the guitars, but the kick... :erk: at the middle of the track it's ok, but in the begining sounds to artificial. Try another pattern or add some reverb....I don't now....it's just an opinion...

Sorry, but my english isn't good..... :Smug:

johnzorn said:
Also if it is Susperia's drummer, then I guess I can see how it can sound like that. On their new album "Unlimited", the drums sound about the same, only not as loud.

I don't really hear that. To me the drums breathe a lot of the life into Unlimited.. not sterile at all. Maybe you're talking more about tonality.. but I can't really agree there either.

Mix sounds cool to me! That's a nice equipment list.

Now...those drums.. Either he's the most perfect most constant drummer I ever heard or you did some magic quantizing that whole tune and kept the trigger velocities very close. Almost has that FF vibe on their last C.D. ((really perfect))
Just a observation. The guitars sound MEAN :D
Is this a home studio? The mix sounds really good!

hmm, isn't 'quantizing' or editing ALL the drum hits in a real miked kit situation standard nowadays so to speak?

The studio I frequently visit does this on almost all productions. They mike regularly, no triggers, and edit each snare/kick/tom hit (-> move to the correct position). They're editing all the tracks together, by cutting or stretching (very short) the space in between the hits. The end product has perfect timing, but I don't like it cause it's way too mechanical for my taste.

check out "Believe" here (and ignore the intro Haha):

http://www.hxcmp3.com/bands/2715/
or
http://www.hxcmp3.com/download.php?band_id=2715&song_id=30373&mode=song_hifi

What's your opinion on the production and the drums?

I thought everybody was doing this...

Degenerate said:
I don't really hear that. To me the drums breathe a lot of the life into Unlimited.. not sterile at all. Maybe you're talking more about tonality.. but I can't really agree there either.

I meant once the music kicked in the drums started to blend in decently with it. I wasn't a big fan of the "Unlimited" album (had too much of a Testament vibe to it, though I like Testament). I loved "Predomiance" though. Either way, why not we all go back to the days of not triggering the drumset learning to tune the kick to where it thumps!!!
:lol:

Helly yeah Zenx! That's fuckin bad ass! Sounds very raw and natural. Great job, great song!