My Rectifier Recording Preamp tone (.mp3)

hmmm.. that's quite a chain there...

Would it be too much too ask to record a bit with the boogie pre-amp only? straight into the soundcard?

Or maybe anyone has any idea that it sounds good straight into the soundcard.. without mics?

That's kind of the purpose of the mesa boogie pre-amp, right?

The Mesa Preamp straight into the soundcards works really good for solo's and clean recording, but it's not really cool for rythm....that's why I mic up instead..

yeah the rectifier preamp is obviosly voiced nothing like the new recto heads, because I've never heard bass response or attack like that from a later model head :hotjump:

very, very tight. me likey :headbang:

I think it sounds pretty good, and I'm glad to hear something a little different than the cookie-cutter guitar sound that everyone in modern day metal seems to have these days. Seems everyone is using the same tricks of the trade and EQ techniques, and in the end, everything turns out sounding exactly the same. I yhink it's a cool and usable tone myself. I would be curious to hear it direct, too. I've not had a chance to use one direct, but I've heard great things about it.

I would love to hear a rhytm sample as well.. just straight into the soundcard.. i would like to know if it would beat a POD XT out of the water or not!

blackcom said:
The chain was: Rectifier Recording Pre (in modern mode) -> Rectifier 2:100 -> Marshall JCM800 Lead 4x12 -> SM57 -> API3124+.

Ahahhah Sorry Man I thought it was direct!!!
Yeah your tone is great, it's very clear, I would like a little more of low-end in that sample, anyway even this way it sounds very good, very tight!!!

Maurizio

wow that sounds fantastic.

I've got a mesa rectifier pre as well but haven't been able to get a tone as nice as yours. what are you settings on the pre? if you don't mind posting them. and what pickups are you using? also do you have the power amp cranked? or at a low volume?

my chain right now is:
fender esquire with dimarzio X2N humbucker
mesa rectifier recording pre
mesa 20/20
home made 2x10 and home made 2x12 with celestion and eminence speakers (of various varieties)
shinybox 46c ribbon mic
The Brick preamp.

I've managed to get a decent* tone, but nothing as tight and crunchy as yours.

and this might seem like a silly question, but I assure you it's not! what is the room you're recording in constructed with? wood? concrete? I'm in a wood room right now for recording and I think that might be doing crazy shit to my low end.

I think some of the "room" sound might actually come from a digital noise gate I had on the fx loop. The fx loop only goes to 90% wet and the noise gate adds a little latency, so its probably a little delay mixed in. I'll try to route around the fx loop in the future.

My Ibanez has BlazeII pickups.
I used the modern mode with gain on max, bass and mid at 12 o clock. treble and precense just a little over 12 o clock. Master at 10 o clock and output at about 11 o clock.

Four guitars all in all. No EQ added exept HPF at 60hz. I allso play really hard on the string and use quite some force when muting.

blackcom said:
I think some of the "room" sound might actually come from a digital noise gate I had on the fx loop. The fx loop only goes to 90% wet and the noise gate adds a little latency, so its probably a little delay mixed in. I'll try to route around the fx loop in the future.

My Ibanez has BlazeII pickups.
I used the modern mode with gain on max, bass and mid at 12 o clock. treble and precense just a little over 12 o clock. Master at 10 o clock and output at about 11 o clock.

Four guitars all in all. No EQ added exept HPF at 60hz. I allso play really hard on the string and use quite some force when muting.
So are we going to hear it direct or what?

Maybe from someone who has them here... i ripped them as well to try some stuff with.. but i ripped it from mp3.. kick from "5 minutes alone" and the snare from "good friends and a bottle of pills"...

Maybe someone has them for you... mine are crap... i put some verb on the tail so it wont cut of suddenly.. but it's still ripped from mp3, WAV is better..

i cant seem to find the CD anymore... :yell:

And yeah.. still want to hear the preamp dry.. :cool:

Black neon bob said:
And yeah.. still want to hear the preamp dry.. :cool:
no you don't :p just think "slightly better than the POD XT" and you're set.

admittedly it doesn't sound terrible direct using a clean channel, but it still doesn't sound like a mic'd cab, that's for sure.

maybe I'll record something direct..hmm..

ok I'm almost too embarassed of my playing right now to post this, but here it is. [it's an off day for me, I slept until dinner time..and my playing on this clip is pretty atrocious....arghhghg]

erm, I hope james doesn't get mad. heh heh.

mesa direct tone