Nebula Programs and best impulses yet have arrived! (for real this time :P)

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
So I finally got around to making some impulses and also running AeternusEternus' series of sweeps through my rig today (by the way, how come there aren't any of those pops anymore dude?), and also discovered that the different channels/modes of the 2 ch. Rectifiers affect the tonality of the power amp, which of course affects the impulses/Nebula programs. So after some experimentation with impulses, I determined that impulses made with the Red channel sound as if the preamp signal is being blended in (probably do to the whole no negative feedback from the power amp thing, whatever that means, that gives the Recto its signature sound), impulses made with the Orange channel sound middy and muffled (all my previous ones were made this way, except for the JSX ones of course), and impulses made with the Orange channel cloned to Modern Mode (both toggle switches on the back in their left position) are tits! (that's what I used this time) So here are the impulses:

EDIT: Updated, here's the one with lower latency (see post 91)

And here's the updated corresponding Nebula program (made with the same setup as the above impulse), very kindly deconvolved by AeternusEternus, and ready to go!

Yup, 100% identical! :) And again, as I mentioned in the OP, the power amp was in a different mode when I made my previous Recto cab impulses, so that's why they were middy and muffled sounding; now with this batch that has been remedied!

I am so excited. Hopefully when I get back from the bar tonight I can have some new programs to play with :D

By the way, anyone with the full 20 Euro version of Nebula 2, as soon as possible could you just see if these work with it?

Also, Marcus, this worked flawlessly. You send me recorded tones and tell me what you want them called, and I'll deconvolve the hell out of them.

By the way, anyone with the full 20 Euro version of Nebula 2, as soon as possible could you just see if these work with it?

Trying, Marcus. But I'm having problems getting them to show up in Nebula. But when I last used it (before shelving it for a while), it was a struggle to figure this thing out.

Yeah, actually, now that I'm trying it with my Nebula 3, they're not showing up either - was there an update to Nebula 3 recently that I may have missed?

No, unfortunately, but impulses have generally been proven to be accurate to the source as far as the eq curve goes, so they'll be a good comparison I'd say! And more importantly, the main thing is, does the Nebula program sound good? :)

yes it does sound good.

I found that the program is brighter than the impulse.

I wish i had a tube pre, or an amp here but Im stuck with sims.

Here is a comparison between the two, using Revalver 5150.

The riffs play twice. First using impulse "57 2 more pres", then using program "57 2x". ( i hope those correspond to each other, or this was useless)

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1109082/metaltastic.wav

anyone else found the same?

I'm not hearing brightness, I'm hearing a lack of low end. How close to the cab were you, Marcus? My original tests were practically touching the grill cloth, and I got a lack of low end. CurveEQ and SPAN showed that real cab recording vs Nebula, same riff, there was a 60/120 hum in the real cab recording. When that's present, the low end drops a little. Not sure why.

But lack of low end or not, I'm feeling it. This rules.

As far as I know they correspond, you'd have to ask AE about that. But dude, holy FUCK does that sound good for Revalver, jesus! That doesn't at all have the metallic, djenty, unsaturated quality that I hear in so many Revalver clips, that's just ridiculously convincing! Anyway, I couldn't really tell where Nebula vs. the Impulse kicked in, but one thing to be certain of (this goes for everyone planning on comparing the two themselves), if using Voxengo Boogex for the impulses, make sure you raise the default LPF, which is at something like 7k, so of course the Nebula one will sound brighter in comparison because it's un-eq'ed!

I'm not hearing brightness, I'm hearing a lack of low end. How close to the cab were you, Marcus?

Well if you're saying you're hearing a lack of low-end in the Nebula program, I used the exact same position for each impulse + Nebula sample, so the difference in low end is coming from the Nebula deconvolving process.

Or if you're saying they both lack low-end, well, the mic was about 1 cm from the grille cloth, but more importantly the Rectifier doesn't have a Resonance knob, just presence, so I had no way to dial in more low-end. On the other hand, hopefully the preamp's bass knob (or the bass guitar ;)) could handle that!

Kass, that sounds good. Like AE said, I'm feeling it. Yes, the Neb prog is brighter, but as Marcus pointed out...it's un-EQ'd. And Marcus, I got the programs to show up in Neb2. I forgot that I downloaded an upgrade the other day. So I installed it, and now it works. These definitely sound more "live" than the impulses (which weren't bad by any means!). I'll see if I have time to do something with it tonight. Thanks for your input on this Marcus! And once again...thanks AE!!