Nevermore a No-Show in Grand Rapids!

PurpleCrayonWriter

Just a Kid at Heart
Well, that tears it.

The In Flames/Throwdown/Nevermore/Evergrey tour stopped in Grand Rapids, Michigan, tonight. I got at least a dozen great pictures of Evergrey to post on my NotesFromtheOtherSide.com web site. I really enjoyed their way-too-short set (it lasted less than 30 minutes!) and was actually looking forward to seeing Nevermore play next.

After waiting 30 minutes for Nevermore to take the stage, the audience was shocked when Van Williams and Jim Sheppard stepped out to announce that they had "bad news." Van said the other guys in the band (I couldn't hear any names named) were "too sick" to play. Apparently, at least a few members of the audiences didn't like that announcement because Van ended up giving the finger to some fans and said, "Yeah, well F-you too."

Weird! Evergrey had left. The stage had been re-set for Nevermore. The instruments were tested. The obligatory "Check, check" was spoken into the mic. And just when we thought Nevermore was going to play, this announcement comes.

"Too sick"?!?!?! Even if someone had the flu they could at least play a short set rather than just cancel entirely!

The lights came back up, the roadies came back out, and that was that.

Since my wife and I were only there to see Evergrey and Nevermore, we left. What a disappointing evening. (Many fans were there just to see Nevermore, and we heard some of them trying to get their money back from the t-shirt salespeople as my wife and I walked out the door. "I came here to see Nevermore," one guy said. "I don't want their stupid shirt now.")

All I can say is that Evergrey played brilliantly and sounded as good as possible given the crappy sound system at The Orbit Room. As far as Nevermore goes, I have been going to concerts for 30 years and I've only had one band cancel (Bob Seger who was to warm up for The Sweet in 1976) the entire time.

Does Nevermore do this often?

Nope.
I think the fans should be able to understand that sometimes the band can't make it. And not say "fuck you" like it's their fault they're sick.

Fuck the fans that do that. Nevermore actually had balls to send two members of the band onstage rather than simply not showing up.

Wow that's a bummer. I've had a few bands do that to me. It does happen, people get sick. You should have stuck around for In Flames, they put on a great live performance. I saw them in January. :headbang: It would have helped to make up for it. You saw Sweet in 76! SWEET!! I went to my first concert in 77 - ELP. :worship:

I'm sure they had no other choice. Maybe someone was so sick they couldn't keep anything in their stomach? Maybe they had a dangerously high fever? Who knows, but stuff happens.

Since they make their living at this, I seriously doubt they'd just cancel because they didn't feel like playing.

I am not a big fan of Nevermore's or anything, but it's a real shame people are not that understanding and gave them crap, especially without knowing the whole story. :mad:

Their bus driver was probably sick ala SymX - Gigantour Atl...LOL. These bands are a joke. I remember when bands toured relentlessly...put out new album, tour, put out new album, tour...non stop. Cancellations were a no no...it rarely , if ever, happened. Nowadays...ugh l feel bad...nope not gonna do it tonight...WTF? And giving the finger to a fan...obnoxious fan or not...is stupidity. Fans put your dumbass on the map...bow down!

And here's Ascension trying to start shit once again... Your post has absolutely no validity since it pretty much makes not a lot of sense regarding to the subject... and all because I posted it and Im a Nevermore fan and he hates me for it...

Whatever man, I don't hate you! I'm still buying you a beer at ProgPower! =)

Ascension said:
I remember when bands toured relentlessly...put out new album, tour, put out new album, tour...non stop. Cancellations were a no no...it rarely , if ever, happened.

This is Nevermore to a tee. They put out albums and tour nonstop, and they rarely have to cancel a show. Let's see YOU try to do a show of Warrel's vocals with the flu.

PurpleCrayonWriter said:
Well, that tears it.

The In Flames/Throwdown/Nevermore/Evergrey tour stopped in Grand Rapids, Michigan, tonight. I got at least a dozen great pictures of Evergrey to post on my NotesFromtheOtherSide.com web site. I really enjoyed their way-too-short set (it lasted less than 30 minutes!) and was actually looking forward to seeing Nevermore play next.

After waiting 30 minutes for Nevermore to take the stage, the audience was shocked when Van Williams and Jim Sheppard stepped out to announce that they had "bad news."

Are you sure Jim Sheppard was one of the guys you saw? I could have sworn he was actually sick.

PurpleCrayonWriter said:
Van said the other guys in the band (I couldn't hear any names named) were "too sick" to play. Apparently, at least a few members of the audiences didn't like that announcement because Van ended up giving the finger to some fans and said, "Yeah, well F-you too."

They like the band, but they give them the finger because they couldn't play? Not surprising, disappointment often turns to anger, even without good reason. And really, why would the band have been bullshitting you? They're a professional band, they're on tour because they want to play, why would they bail out unless it was absolutely unavoidable?

PurpleCrayonWriter said:
Weird! Evergrey had left. The stage had been re-set for Nevermore. The instruments were tested. The obligatory "Check, check" was spoken into the mic. And just when we thought Nevermore was going to play, this announcement comes.

"Too sick"?!?!?! Even if someone had the flu they could at least play a short set rather than just cancel entirely!

Why? I understand you're disappointed, but if one or more of them has the flu and is really fucked up, it doesn't do him or you any good for him to come out there and rattle out subpar renditions of a couple songs.

PurpleCrayonWriter said:
The lights came back up, the roadies came back out, and that was that.

Since my wife and I were only there to see Evergrey and Nevermore, we left. What a disappointing evening.

This yet again proves one of my primary rules of concert-going... don't go to a concert if you don't want to see the headliner. When you go just to see an opening band(s), it invariably winds up being a disappointment. Plus, like them or not, In Flames usually put on a fun live set, so you missed out there.

PurpleCrayonWriter said:
(Many fans were there just to see Nevermore, and we heard some of them trying to get their money back from the t-shirt salespeople as my wife and I walked out the door. "I came here to see Nevermore," one guy said. "I don't want their stupid shirt now.")

That's a very stupid statement on the part of that guy.

PurpleCrayonWriter said:
All I can say is that Evergrey played brilliantly and sounded as good as possible given the crappy sound system at The Orbit Room. As far as Nevermore goes, I have been going to concerts for 30 years and I've only had one band cancel (Bob Seger who was to warm up for The Sweet in 1976) the entire time.

Does Nevermore do this often?

Rest assured, Warrel Dane is not Axl Rose. Nevermore takes crap, and some deservedly, for backing out of ProgPower twice, and I'm sure you were none too pleased when they didn't play in Grand Rapids. But there's only one band I can think of off the top of my head in the prog / power scene that has a reputation of bailing at the last minute with little or no explanation, and it's not Nevermore.

I just posted in general about the touring habits of bands these days. That's why I said "these bands". So...get defensive if you feel the need. Yeah...l lumped Neveragain in there. This is not the only time for them. They've done it before & they'll do it again.
So...are you condoning the finger to the fan? I'm curious. l'll admit...fans can be obnoxious as hell, but that fan probably showed up just to see Neveragain & l'm sure he felt the band blew him off. Uum...l'd be upset too. That's still a fan...one or more that let their emotions get the best of them...but still a fan. Probably an alienated one now.
Sing like Warrel with a flu? LOL probably easy. He sounds like he's sick anyway. Actually, I have sang sick...with a flu. With an upper range much like Geoff Tate/James Labrie. Now, that's tough.
Angra...l don't drink, but a soft drink will be fine dude. :cool:

I think the thing is, they could have decided this BEFORE the show and not let the stagehands setup up their gear and then go "Awe man, I don't think I can do this" at the last minute.

Sumeet said:
Are you sure Jim Sheppard was one of the guys you saw? I could have sworn he was actually sick.

Rest assured, Warrel Dane is not Axl Rose. Nevermore takes crap, and some deservedly, for backing out of ProgPower twice, and I'm sure you were none too pleased when they didn't play in Grand Rapids. But there's only one band I can think of off the top of my head in the prog / power scene that has a reputation of bailing at the last minute with little or no explanation, and it's not Nevermore.

I assumed it was Jim Sheppard. I was in the front, between the barrier and the stage, futzing with my camera. I was focused (literally) on Van centerstage. The other band member was stage left out of my eye site. I was watching the audience and watching/listening to Van with my back to the other band member. When I did look up, I thought I saw dark hair, not blond, heading off stage, so I assumed it was Jeff.

Regarding Nevermore's professionalism and commitment to doing shows, I know nothing about that. In fact, all I know about Nevermore comes from reading comments on the PPUSA Forum. The group seems to polarize people into a love/hate sort of thing.

Plus, I got the impression that given Nevermore's lackluster commitment to doing the ProgPower show (backing out twice was it?) that they were exhibiting that same kind of commitment to doing the Grand Rapids show last night.

I know nothing about Nevermore personally. I like much of their music and was looking forward to seeing them play. So my off-hand comment about playing with the flu was written out of disappointment and my own half-baked impressions that I've picked up from reading comments posted here. I meant no disrespect to Nevermore OR their fans.

Finally, I've known a lot of performers over the years. Many played with colds. Some have played with sky-high fevers. Some played with excruciating back and neck pain. But the show goes on.

I sincerely hope that whatever sickness swept through the Nevermore camp that it passes quickly so that they can get back to putting on a great show for their fans.

Bill

As for bands, back in the day, never or rarely cancelling...where shall I begin.
Aerosmith
Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush
Ozzy
Van Halen
Pat Benatar...well, she actually came on stage and then proceeded to faint in the middle of the first song. Though once she was revived, she should've finished the show, bitch.:rolleyes:
...just to name a few that happened in my hometown, to me. It happens, nobody likes it, but it does happen.

So...you showed up at the venue, went in, and it was announced the show was cancelled? Odd...never happened to me. Had bands cancel & announce days or weeks before show, but they always did a make up.
The Benatar thing...yeah that happens when you tour your ass off like bands use to do. l remember when bands did 300+ shows in a year...whew.

Ascension said:
Their bus driver was probably sick ala SymX - Gigantour Atl...LOL. These bands are a joke. I remember when bands toured relentlessly...put out new album, tour, put out new album, tour...non stop. Cancellations were a no no...it rarely , if ever, happened. Nowadays...ugh l feel bad...nope not gonna do it tonight...WTF? And giving the finger to a fan...obnoxious fan or not...is stupidity. Fans put your dumbass on the map...bow down!

What would you have said if it were Dream Theater?

l would've said F*** em & give them the finger. There' s plenty of bands out there. DT hasn't let me down...other than not coming to the South at all. Of course, that sux...but l can go see them in other areas.
DT didn't miss a date on Gigantour...professionalism.

A very long time ago. I believe it was right after their first disc they were coming to charlotte north carolina with I believe death...I am pretty certain it was death during their symbolic tour....I was going to see nevermore and they cancelled last minute and we had to listen to some local band play for an hour and a half....

Now granted that was a long time ago...but if they keep doing this crap..they will eventually piss off people...two chances i get to see them...two cancellations....

Now Death....they tore it up....I have to say that chuck was one of the nicest dudes i ever met...right up there with Jon Oliva....and chuck played flawlessly....Shame he is gone...Cause if you never saw them......its a shame cause that dude was legendary...