Nevermore a No-Show in Grand Rapids!

Entropiastrife said:
for me, royal hunt is the one band that would absolutely FORCE me to go to progpower. as long as a solid contract is set in place (ie cancellation fee) I dont see why it wouldnt be worth the potential risk

I don't know if a cancellation fee is something that could be included in an artist booking contract, but even if it can, if you're running a fest, and a band pulls out at the last minute, or simply fails to show up on the day of the show, it's still your fest that takes a hit. You have a bunch of pissed-off fans, and you have a potentially damaged reputation.

Then after all that, you have to bust your ass in court trying to wrest the cancellation fee from them. :)

I agree with everyone taking Nevermore's side...based on what I've read here, this was clearly a last-minute decision, and while I undoubtedly would have been pissed if I had been there, giving the finger to a band for backing out, especially one touring despite temporarily losing two members to severe health issues, is incredibly disrespectful.

rockyracoon said:
If you don't play, you shouldn't get payed. And I wish there were some legit way to refund people a certain percentage of the ticket cost for failing to provide what the people paid for.

Based on what I've seen, the way the concert industry works is that when you buy a ticket, you're considered to be buying a ticket for the headliner. The purchaser should be fully aware of that when buying. If the headliner cancels, you can get a refund... if any or all of the opening acts aren't there, you're not entitled to any compensation.

Jibrille said:
Think most people are failing to see that they SET UP the equipment for Nevermore. It wasn't anything that people were notified ahead of time. It obviously wasn't decided until at the time they were supposed to go on stage because at anytime they could have stopped setting up.

So in regard to why Everygrey didn't play a longer set? Their equipment had already been taken out and another band's setup when the crowd was told Nevermore wouldn't be taking the stage.

True... given that, it almost seems like a situation where they might have been holding out hope until the last minute that they might still be able to play, but only at the last second finally came to the conclusion that it just wasn't possible.

Sumeet said:
Based on what I've seen, the way the concert industry works is that when you buy a ticket, you're considered to be buying a ticket for the headliner. The purchaser should be fully aware of that when buying. If the headliner cancels, you can get a refund... if any or all of the opening acts aren't there, you're not entitled to any compensation.

Yep, this is why when BG had to cancel one of their Cali dates, everyone's ticket was refunded and SymX still put on a free show.

adaher said:
And that's another thing. I went to a Blind Guardian/Symphony X show in Fort Lauderdale in 2003. Symphony X was a no-show(which BTW is rare for them, although we never got an explanation).

If I recall correctly, there were some behind-the-scenes business dealings with some local promoters or something like that, which prevented Symphony X from playing some dates on that tour.

adaher said:
So the opening band, Premonition, a local group, played for two and a half hours, much longer than the headliner, Blind Guardian!

That's weird... was Premoniton some kind of house band or something? I've never seen any opening bands play for 2.5 hours... usually if one of the openers doesn't show up, the show just starts later or ends earlier.

adaher said:
Would it have killed Blind Guardian to play longer, considering their huge catalogue? Premonition had to ad lib covers and songs they hadn't played in awhile, and they aren't half the band Blind Guardian is.

Now I'm not mad at Blind Guardian or anything. They played a great show that night. I'm just wondering why the local band would have to fill so much time.

It very well may not have been possible for Blind Guardian to just play longer... Blind Guardian songs tend to be complex, and they had no doubt rehearsed certain songs for that tour. It might not be possible for them to just "wing it" and play material that they had not rehearsed for that tour.

I was at the show and devastated by Nevermore's cancellation. I kept thinking, this must be a joke and they'll run back out in 30 seconds. I eventually got over it but my friend kept asking me if I needed a hug, hahah.

The person you saw with Van Williams was James MacDonagh, filling in for Jim this tour.

I am at least glad that I finally got to see Evergrey for the first time. Throwdown played a great set even though most people don't like them, which is understandable. The Roots Bloody Roots cover was really good. I left partway through in Flames.

This is true, Warrel spent a while in the hospital and it was very serious. If you read my prior post, I have seen the same with these guys, sick and all.

General Zod said:
Understood. Keep in mind, the bands who recorded and toured back in the day, (by and large) were young bands. The guys in Nevermore have been around a while. It's not at all surprising, given the conditions they tour under, that they're going to breakdown every so often.

Not directed at you... just a tid bit from the Nevermore board. The word is, that Warrell was dealing with issues related to his Type 2 Diabetes, that (rumor has it) nearly killed him prior to the recording of "Godless". I've personally witnessed these guys muscle through shows when sick. And given the seriousness of Jim and Steve's respective illnesses, I'm guessing Warrell was pretty sick to have bailed on this show.

Zod

TheWhisper said:
Well, alright then....just so long as we're clear on that.

Too bad he already knows what you look like. Since I sat next to you at the Dream Theater RCMH show, I could have ratted out your identity for a slight nominal fee.

eaeolian said:
I know these guys - if Warrel could have done this show, he would have. These things happen. Believe me, I've seen bands give shows they *should* have cancelled - sometimes it's the right move.

Truth. I've seen Nevermore battle through all kinds of shit to deliver a performance. Jim smashing a finger during the DNB tour...an excessively intoxicated lead singer...etc.

- Chris

Force10 said:

Oh man....

With his history of alcoholism, his pancreatitis &/or diabetes could flare up at any given moment since he has fallen off the wagon. His health is that brittle from all reports I have heard. No wonder there was a "last second" cancellation that night and spin control right afterwards.

You folks have no idea how much I am relieved to have Jorn as that is not a worry I would have wanted to deal with.

Glenn H.

Sumeet said:
If I recall correctly, there were some behind-the-scenes business dealings with some local promoters or something like that, which prevented Symphony X from playing some dates on that tour.

Are you serious???

I was pissed as hell when Symph X couldn't make it - and somehow remeber being told it was a tour-bus problem???

Guess that was just spin control...... I'd love to know what it was that shut them out then.....:mad:

Burke said:
Are you serious???

I was pissed as hell when Symph X couldn't make it - and somehow remeber being told it was a tour-bus problem???

Guess that was just spin control...... I'd love to know what it was that shut them out then.....:mad:

The did have a bus issue at least one night of the tour. There were nothing but issues for that whole friggin' thing - ask the locals who got kicked off over every little technicality.

AMBR said:
Link no good anymore. Did they delete the thread? Anyone care to enlighten us slow pokes to the content, or have we gone to far with this topic already?:ill:
I'm curious about the same thing. Has Warrell fallen off the wagon again? If so, that is truly a shame.

Zod

yep ambr...i got here too late too...post must have been deleted...sounds like maybe Warrel fell off..i am saddened to hear this for sure if that is the case....he did so well on the other tours. I had a boss that did that once with Pancreatitis and he only had a couple glasses of wine and he landed himself in the hospital for a week. Warrel said that he was not able to even drink cough syrup with alcohol in it. I am glad Glenn is happy with the Jorn decision... :)