Nevermore a No-Show in Grand Rapids!

BABS said:
Too bad he already knows what you look like. Since I sat next to you at the Dream Theater RCMH show, I could have ratted out your identity for a slight nominal fee.
Nah, that wasn't me. That was my twin brother...and he's a prick.

If it is true the reason they cancelled was because of WD's health problems, brought on by his falling off said wagon, then they deserved every boo and fuck you they got. Too bad the other guys had to take the shit, instead of WD himself. This is providing all this is true.

If you want to be a professional musician, you gotta act like one.

The thread on the Nevermore board was about their show in Kansas last night. 2 people detailed that Warrel was drunk, stumbling around, not in time with the band, jumping into the crowd, etc.

It is very sad to hear about; I do hope he can turn himself around.

Assuming the rumors are true, this is very sad news indeed. As I heard it, he and Jim cleaned up together. I can't help but wonder if Jim's absence has pulled the proverbial crutch out from under him. Which isn't to excuse his behavior. Addiction is a sad thing. The ironic part is, he was dead on (the best performance I've seen) at Jaxx.

I hope he can get his shit together.

Zod

General Zod said:
Assuming the rumors are true, this is very sad news indeed. As I heard it, he and Jim cleaned up together. I can't help but wonder if Jim's absence has pulled the proverbial crutch out from under him. Which isn't to excuse his behavior. Addiction is a sad thing. The ironic part is, he was dead on (the best performance I've seen) at Jaxx.

Zod

I think your post rings true. The deleted thread had one post that said Warrel was trying to handle his addiction on his own instead of utilizing a group like AA. So without Jim, he lost his only support.

Warrel was also dead on last week in Myrtle Beach.

General Zod said:

Zod
Bingo, he was fan-fuckin-tastic that night. If these stories are true, the other guys in the band need to have a serious talk with WD, because this affects all of them. Sad that all of this come so closely on the heels of them absolutely destroying Jaxx.

With apologies to Rod Stewart (and anyone who just had that song pop into their head, bwahahaha) - HOPEFULLY I will get to see Nevermore among others at the BLack Sheep (the old Industrial Nation for anyone coming into town) - dammit I hope WD has his act together and puts on a blistering show - the rest of the band is so musically talented I'd hate for anyone or anything to screw it up. That said - if tonight rocks I will be thrilled with the way PP pans out coz I wills ee Evergrey & NEvermore in a club the size of a closet, and get to see jorn play at PP - selfish bastage sometimes ain't I? :)

fingers crossed
jeff

General Zod said:

Zod
Uh, oh. I maybe just having a blonde moment here, but check out this scenario:

According to Zod's post, Jim Sheppard, bass player for Nevermore cleaned up with Warrel the vocalist.

Jim's temporarily sidelined because he's being treated for Crohn's Disease.

Warrel may or may not be having "coping" problems because Jim's out sick.

Also.....

Mike Lepond, bass player for Symphony X is undergoing surgery for Crohn's Disease.

Subsequently, Symphony X had to cancel their appearance at Sweden Rock.

Nevermore is scheduled to play Sweden Rock.

Now I am not a superstitious person, but I gotta bad feeling about this. Not trying to start anything here, but that's just weird.

PurpleCrayonWriter said:
Van said the other guys in the band (I couldn't hear any names named) were "too sick" to play.

He said something like this, "We have some bad news. We will not be able to perform our set tonight, because Warrel is sick or something...." I forget what he said after that, but the way he said it seemed as if he were annoyed to not be playing and was blaming Warrel with the tone of his voice in the announcement.

I was front-and-center for the first half of the night, so I could kinda see what was going on between sets. I kinda thought something was up when they did a mic check.. ?! This seemed odd to me because I know one of the guys on the sound crew that night and he told me all the bands had already went through sound checks. Plus, Evergrey didn't "check, check" AND the Orbit Room (venue) doesn't work like that. They set all levels before the show, and if ANYONE goes out for a check, it's most certainly not the band members themselves. To see Van out there messing around with the equipment and talking into the mic before the set was just fuckin' WEIRD!! This is a major venue in GR, you just don't see the same shit you do at regular clubs.

So about 30 minutes pass, and the two guys come out. Van Williams and James MacDonagh (he's filling in for Jim..) approach the mic and give the announcement.

Sure, I was disappointed - big time! I thought they were joking! Then people started yelling at the band like they should get out there and play anyway, regardless of their band member's health. Quite frankly, I think that behaviour from the fans is selfish. "Fuck the band for being sick, I want to rock and they won't let me! *pout*"

It's like a dude hitting on a chick at the bar. She says no, so he calls her a cold bitch. What? She was good enough to hit on but only if he gets what he wants? ..... What? A band is good enough that you want to see them perform but you swear at them and get pissed when they can't? :Smug: Bah!

HOWEVER, if you read the shoutbox on the NM official site, people are posting that Warrel was drunk at last night's show in Kansas. Now people are going to interpret that any way they see fit, and it's popular to villianize this band lately. Like I posted on the shoutbox, what if Warrel is sick with something that is more than just a cold? What if he doesn't want to cancel another show so he does whatever it takes to get on stage, even if that means getting toasty before a performance? ((Don't try to tell me that none of you have used alcohol to kill pain or a virus)) OR maybe he had a fever that night in KS... I know when I get a fever I act like a fucking dope on hallucinogens wothy of America's Funniest Videos.

People are so quick to criticize. It seems some of the worst are also some of the biggest fans. Go figure..

ANYWAY - Evergrey put on one helluva set! The sound system at the Orbit Room is terrific - did you see that new console they brought in?!?! :yow: Despite this, the mix in the front of the house sounded like MUD. Only on the last song did they finally seem to get the mix sounding great! A whole lotta good that early afternoon soundcheck did, eh?

Evergrey received a lot of praise all throughout the night from my friends who I'd convinced to show up early. Evergrey even came out from backstage and mingled with the crowd. This is a big deal, and I'm glad they did it, because what they don't realize is bands that come through The Orbit Room NEVER come out unless it's after the show and only people with passes are present. The fact that EG came out, signed autographs, took pictures, sat at the bar, and even WENT INTO THE AUDITORIUM to watch the other performances was beyond cool!! They kinda capitalized on Nevermore's cancellation because people were like, "Evergrey rocked and they're out here chilling with us - Nevermore who?!"

Throwdown is not a band I enjoy, so I proceeded to get hammered in the lobby bar while watching people dote over Evergrey. A small part of me felt proud that I had talked them up so much to my friends and that they were leaving such a good impression on the city.

In Flames had a great set but the house mix made all their songs sound the same. Maybe I'm crazy or maybe I was too drunk (joke!) to tell. During the set, Tom Englund came out from the band area and sat at the corner of the lobby bar. Naturally I ditched my group and went over to chat. He said that the next song In Flames was playing is one of the best songs he's heard in 10 years, and I should "go right now and watch this song! I mean it!" I think he was trying to get rid of me :lol:

All in all, the night was a lot of fun for everyone but Nevermore fans who didn't get something out of the rest of the show except a reason to bitch.

EDIT: So I intended this to be a short response to clear up some of the misunderstandings of the GR show, and offer my $.02 on the bitching from the fans. Then I saw that you guys already found out about the Kansas show. I considered deleting that part of my post, but I might as well leave it in. I didn't know he had a history of alcoholism, nor that he has severe pre-existing health issues. So anyway, sorry if some of my post sounds like a parrot in the room, but no sense in me changing it now. :p

I don't post her much, and I'm beginning to see why.

Ok, so something happened, no one but the band apparently knows what and they couldn't play. Damn, I'd be super bummed but to insult them is just plain odd and competely not right.

These pro/against Nevermore rants are simply foolish. Or any band for that matter. Speaking as a long time fan ( since Sanctuary to be frank ) I can say that Nevermore are road dogsand have always done what thier best to deliver shows. ALL bands at some point have to cancel shows.

And just because someone here you have idolized, says something doesn't make it gospel.

No offense to such person, it's the mindless followers who are the issue.

Anyway,sorry for my ranting. :lol:

nuff said.

DreamNeonBlack said:
And just because someone here you have idolized, says something doesn't make it gospel.

You are right in that I gave my own opinion on the "cancellation" and that reason has not been verifed by the band. They have nothing to gain & a ton to lose by going public if indeed the cause was anything that could have been avoided. However, you have to admit that everything sort of appears circumstantial based on happened in Kansas (and was verified by multiple sources prior the thread being deleted) and the details around the actual cancellation itself, including the sound check & equipment having been set up. Shorok's post added validity to my guess in my eyes as well.

Once again, my post was not meant to be taken as fact...just personal speculation.

Glenn H.

Burke said:
Are you serious???

I was pissed as hell when Symph X couldn't make it - and somehow remeber being told it was a tour-bus problem???

Guess that was just spin control...... I'd love to know what it was that shut them out then.....:mad:

It was a tour bus DRIVER problem, iirc.
The driver had some kind of major ailment that required an eventual organ transplant. He got REAL sick, REAL fast....No spin on this one I'm afraid,
but I'm sure there are many conspiracy theorists around.....:Smug:

J-Dubya

Okay so last nite in Colorado Springs, sold out (it's a small place but i saw a buncha people being turned away). Evergrey came on first, played a good set - but way too short - Tom said that it w The band really seemeas all good, they're happy to be playing. When I told them that it would be okay because of the 4 hour set they'd be playing in Atlanta he was like "i dont know about 4, maybe a bit over 2".
Nevermore came out and EVERYONE was in fine shape. I'm not one of the NM fanboys, but really wanted to see them again, especially in this smaller setting (they played in a theatre in Denver on DHIADW tour). The band was smoking, and Warrel was in fine voice. He made reference to the fact that the vocal crowd was makinghim feel so much better. Said he had a "really abd show last night and I've been depressed about it ever since". The band really seemed to enjoy themselves - as was bore out later in the parking lot - both WD and Chris (local boy from Jag Panzer) were laughing, meeting people etc. The train is back on the tracks.

Throwdown - not my style but good at what they do, the vocals and guitars sound too similar thru each track (at least live), kind of a cross between Pantera and some Orange County punk/core bands.

In Flames - rocked. I'd already seen them and hadnt planned on staying past Nevermore but I ran into some people I hadnt seen in a while. Pretty good set list and actually cool lighting (for such a small club too). Sorry no time for more details, 5 a.m. came early today.

jeff

Well, that's a relief. Glad to hear it! Thanks for the review, Jeff. Sounds like you got a great show!

I like Nevermore and I am a fan but Warrell is an absolute drunk. This is probably no secret to anyone but I have seen him play gigs where he is completely shitfaced. I've seen him almost fall off the stage a couple times. That is totally unprofessional to the fans that pay their hard-earned money.

Still I hope he gets his act together on the Alcholism. I wish him the best.