New album update

ive already said it but even though its not even out properly i think this will be my favourite anthrax record,im really not interested in all the old records,i wanna hear something fresh and new,something severly lacking in metal period,anthrax have delivered it in spades,i havent listen to worship music since gods knows and i sure as hell havent been bothered to put on the older classics,not sure if its the muso in me or what but i just wanna hear anthrax in the now.

The fags at Blabbermouth will always talk shit but it's still too early for me to say if it's the best record since Worship Music or the best record since Persistence of Time. Grows on me more with every listen.

OK - here's my track by track review now I've listened to the record a bunch of times:

You Gotta Believe - starts with an awesome intro which will undoubtedly be used as the band's live opening music. A 7 minute thrash masterpiece, with a killer middle section before resuming an awesome song. If Joey's "HUH!!!" at 3.43 going into the grooving riff doesn't put a shit eating grin on your face, then you just don't love Anthrax!!! The best song Anthrax have written in 2 decades for me!!!!

Monster at the End - a great stomping song highlighted by Joey's chorus singing. Killer. Jon's lead is very Dimebag influenced.

For All Kings - This one didn't grab me much initially, but now I reckon its a really strong tune. Seems to get heavier with each listen. Very melodic and fast again, and Jon shines also again.

Breathing Lightning - Pop Anthrax!!! An obvious single if they're looking for radio airplay. FAK's Safe Home. Cool, but far from my favourite.

Suzerain - Fuck - that intro!!!! Heavy!!!! This song is actually one of my faves, and doesn't seem to get mentioned much so far. I love the "floating" time feel to the chorus, with Frank's basslines a highlight. I've said it already - but Jon again kills on this song. His best solo on the record imo. Awesome tune.

Evil Twin - we've all heard it. I love it. Fits perfectly into the middle of the record.

Blood Eagle Wings - intro reminds me of one of Machine Head's clean intros, before a stutter-like verse that grows (plods a bit) before building into an awesome faster chorus with again, a brilliant lead over a machine-gun rhythm from Scott. Probably one of my least fave songs on the record - but it's still great. (Tells you how much I rate this record!!!!)

Defend Avenge - has Anthrax had a more menacing intro to a song since ATL title track? Rhythm wise - this song reminds me a lot of Nobody Knows Anything with Charlie's slightly off kilter playing. Love it. Has anyone else noticed this is the first of the next 3 tracks that Jon's lead is played over a double-time thrash part to the rest of the song??? Love it. This song would be massive live.

All of Them Thieves - this song would not be out of place on S442. It's a great tune - heavy as hell (reminds me of Drop the Ball), and Joey's vocals are killer. Love the driving bass and rhythm .

This Battle Chose Us - Frank's bassline intro is awesome before a brooding mid-tempo rhythm with a huge chorus. Something about this song reminds me of The Constant, the way it's heavy but also has a poppy feel to it. Classic 2016 Anthrax.

Zero Tolerance - Thrash!!!! What a cool way to close the record (reminds me of Imitation of Life). This tune is Scott Ian, and Scott Ian is this tune. His right hand is as recognisable on this tune as Malcolm Young's on Highway to Hell, and Joey spits out hate-filled anti extremism lyrics over fast as fuck riffs that remind us why we loved Anthrax in 1987.

So there it is guys - I give this record a solid 9/10, and would rate it higher on my Anthrax list than Worship Music!!!! Absolutely exceeded my expectations for Anthrax 2016.

When Feb 26 comes - please make sure you buy this monster!!!!! My 2 copies will be on their way via Amazon - please do the same!!!! Mosh!!!!

The fags at Blabbermouth will always talk shit but it's still too early for me to say if it's the best record since Worship Music or the best record since Persistence of Time. Grows on me more with every listen.

"best record since Worship Music" -- that sounds kind of funny.

OK - here's my track by track review now I've listened to the record a bunch of times:

You Gotta Believe - starts with an awesome intro which will undoubtedly be used as the band's live opening music. A 7 minute thrash masterpiece, with a killer middle section before resuming an awesome song. If Joey's "HUH!!!" at 3.43 going into the grooving riff doesn't put a shit eating grin on your face, then you just don't love Anthrax!!! The best song Anthrax have written in 2 decades for me!!!!

Monster at the End - a great stomping song highlighted by Joey's chorus singing. Killer. Jon's lead is very Dimebag influenced.

For All Kings - This one didn't grab me much initially, but now I reckon its a really strong tune. Seems to get heavier with each listen. Very melodic and fast again, and Jon shines also again.

Breathing Lightning - Pop Anthrax!!! An obvious single if they're looking for radio airplay. FAK's Safe Home. Cool, but far from my favourite.

Suzerain - Fuck - that intro!!!! Heavy!!!! This song is actually one of my faves, and doesn't seem to get mentioned much so far. I love the "floating" time feel to the chorus, with Frank's basslines a highlight. I've said it already - but Jon again kills on this song. His best solo on the record imo. Awesome tune.

Evil Twin - we've all heard it. I love it. Fits perfectly into the middle of the record.

Blood Eagle Wings - intro reminds me of one of Machine Head's clean intros, before a stutter-like verse that grows (plods a bit) before building into an awesome faster chorus with again, a brilliant lead over a machine-gun rhythm from Scott. Probably one of my least fave songs on the record - but it's still great. (Tells you how much I rate this record!!!!)

Defend Avenge - has Anthrax had a more menacing intro to a song since ATL title track? Rhythm wise - this song reminds me a lot of Nobody Knows Anything with Charlie's slightly off kilter playing. Love it. Has anyone else noticed this is the first of the next 3 tracks that Jon's lead is played over a double-time thrash part to the rest of the song??? Love it. This song would be massive live.

All of Them Thieves - this song would not be out of place on S442. It's a great tune - heavy as hell (reminds me of Drop the Ball), and Joey's vocals are killer. Love the driving bass and rhythm .

This Battle Chose Us - Frank's bassline intro is awesome before a brooding mid-tempo rhythm with a huge chorus. Something about this song reminds me of The Constant, the way it's heavy but also has a poppy feel to it. Classic 2016 Anthrax.

Zero Tolerance - Thrash!!!! What a cool way to close the record (reminds me of Imitation of Life). This tune is Scott Ian, and Scott Ian is this tune. His right hand is as recognisable on this tune as Malcolm Young's on Highway to Hell, and Joey spits out hate-filled anti extremism lyrics over fast as fuck riffs that remind us why we loved Anthrax in 1987.

So there it is guys - I give this record a solid 9/10, and would rate it higher on my Anthrax list than Worship Music!!!! Absolutely exceeded my expectations for Anthrax 2016.

When Feb 26 comes - please make sure you buy this monster!!!!! My 2 copies will be on their way via Amazon - please do the same!!!! Mosh!!!!

Cool, looks like we pretty much both highlighted some points.

Reactions: YOYOMOSHMAN
@mrthrax you were right. A few solid listens to the whole album and I'm absolutely loving it. Yes, it's a definite grower but once it's got you - it's fucking got you!

Delighted that my opinion has changed compared to my post earlier this week.

Reactions: timmyc
@mrthrax you were right. A few solid listens to the whole album and I'm absolutely loving it. Yes, it's a definite grower but once it's got you - it's fucking got you!

Delighted that my opinion has changed compared to my post earlier this week.
I knew it would!,usually it takes me many listens when your fave band releases a record,expectations are so high and sometimes it's hard to digest,this'll one got me pretty quick,guess it's been a long wait lol

The new record deals with one problem. Reading through your posts, there're too much references to other rock/ metal bands (Nickelback, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera, Motley Crue, ...). Leaving aside Bushthrax records (because these ones have been (un)officially dismissed), I don't thik their old school records contain songs that could remind other metal band. I don't want to listen to the chorus of an Anthrax song and think I'm listening to Faith No More (Breathing Lightning). When you listen to POT, it's just Anthrax. When you listen to SOE, it's just Anthrax. Etc. There were a lot of bands that tried to sound like Anthrax but Anthrax didn't try to sound like any other band. Their music was simply unique. Is it FAK unique? Not at all. Anthrax came up with MOSH but they intelligibly renounced it 25 years ago and their mascot(t) NOT man was officially burried in the eyes of the bee 17 years ago... Why? Why this band just doesn't come up with pure thrash record that would sound like ANTHRAX? Most of you love Evil Twin, Zero Tolerance, You Gotta Believe. Why is it so? Because they're thrash songs.
But acting like FAK is my first heavy metal album I've listened to in my life, it's a great record and worth listening to anyway.

Maybe Anthrax should not try different things and remain the same band they were in 1985 simply for your pleasure. Maybe they should not try to grow as musicians and songwriters so that you can put on your headband and dance around to Indians for the 15 millionth time.

Reactions: Jono and timmyc
Woah! You guys are hearing the album??

I will absolutely be purchasing 'For All Kings' upon release, I've been a 'Thrax fan since 1990, have supported them even when I lost touch with metal, but by gum, I cannot wait to try and hear this album tonight!!!

The anticipation was a killer, 4 plus years since 'Worship' - can't wait to hear it :)

Maybe Anthrax should not try different things and remain the same band they were in 1985 simply for your pleasure. Maybe they should not try to grow as musicians and songwriters so that you can put on your headband and dance around to Indians for the 15 millionth time.
I don't say Anthrax should do ATL part II. Even though any old school album differs from the others, the music keeps to remain Anthrax without refering to other fucking metal bands. I agree with trying different things. On the other hand, trying different things may cause fans' displeasure... Bushthrax albums differ from anything they'd written before John joined the band and if it were't for the reunion, the band would be dead. Do you know why? They just tried different things...

Last edited:
Completely stoked; will be hopefully sitting down to listen to the new Anthrax album tonight - been reading the last few pages of the thread here and seems like it's been leaked over a week ago!

Love reading your guys' thoughts; new release day from a very favourite artist doesn't come around that often these days - every new release since Killer B's in 1991 I've anticipated, and got on day of release. It's so exciting sitting down for a first listen to a brand new work from a band you have a history with, 25 years and counting in this case - will be back tomorrow with initial thoughts!

Only 5 more hours to escape the workplace, get home, try and get the little one off to sleep early...then, pop open a beer, ' For All Kings'!!!!