New album update

PS I haven't heard 'Soror Irrumator' - is it good? Maybe add it on the ipod as an extra song for this album (recorded during same sessions I assume)

PS I haven't heard 'Soror Irrumator' - is it good? Maybe add it on the ipod as an extra song for this album (recorded during same sessions I assume)

Solid tune. But for me, if it was on FAK, it'd definitely be one of the weaker songs.

Thanks for that info timmy; is 'Soror' the only new song they'd released besides the new album?

I saw an Anthrax had a 'Spaceman' EP last year, wondered what I'd missed out on - then I saw it was a drum'n'bass act, so a different act to the Thrash veteran's we're all fans of.

As I said before, Soror Irrumator sounds a bit like SOWN song with Joey out of place. Don't think it'd fit on the album.

The new record deals with one problem. Reading through your posts, there're too much references to other rock/ metal bands (Nickelback, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera, Motley Crue, ...). Leaving aside Bushthrax records (because these ones have been (un)officially dismissed), I don't thik their old school records contain songs that could remind other metal band. I don't want to listen to the chorus of an Anthrax song and think I'm listening to Faith No More (Breathing Lightning). When you listen to POT, it's just Anthrax. When you listen to SOE, it's just Anthrax. Etc. There were a lot of bands that tried to sound like Anthrax but Anthrax didn't try to sound like any other band. Their music was simply unique. Is it FAK unique? Not at all. Anthrax came up with MOSH but they intelligibly renounced it 25 years ago and their mascot(t) NOT man was officially burried in the eyes of the bee 17 years ago... Why? Why this band just doesn't come up with pure thrash record that would sound like ANTHRAX? Most of you love Evil Twin, Zero Tolerance, You Gotta Believe. Why is it so? Because they're thrash songs.
But acting like FAK is my first heavy metal album I've listened to in my life, it's a great record and worth listening to anyway.

Breathing Lightning reminds you of Faith No More? Interesting.

Thanks for that info timmy; is 'Soror' the only new song they'd released besides the new album?

I saw an Anthrax had a 'Spaceman' EP last year, wondered what I'd missed out on - then I saw it was a drum'n'bass act, so a different act to the Thrash veteran's we're all fans of.

Sorror is a good song that's better suited for the mood for the Game of Thrones mixtape album.

Besides that song there's about 10 other new songs that Anthrax purposely left off the album. Hopefully we get to hear those songs in the near future. They could be straight thrashers that some were looking for....Who knows?

Sorry AM, I meant the pre-order. You can get Evil Twin and Breathing Lightning, just like most other places I think. Still February 26 release date.

I listened, last night, two and a half times through - and it is brilliant!! I have to say that, there hasn't been as immediate an album for me from 'Thrax since maybe White Noise. On first listening the absolute standouts were Monster at the End, Zero Tolerance, Breathing Lightning, Evil Twin, and Bloody Eagle Wings. That's half the album! And that was on first listening, the next listening and a half I was digging almost all of the remaining, perhaps 'Thieves' is the only one that hasn't grabbed me yet.

I'm proud of the lads, 30+ years and 11 albums in and they have made a great record; immediately 'You Gotta Believe' and the excellent 'Monster at the End' were such a 1-2 punch, one of the most quality kick off's to an Anthrax record...

I heard the new Maiden, the new Slayer, the new Annihilator, and this is better than all three; the arrangements, the melodies, the vocals, in years to come this will be up there with Anthrax's best methinks.

Sounded very underwhelming at first listen.

Sounding better with every listen.

Very solid record. A lot more consistent than WM.

Suzerain is the highlight, one of the best songs they've ever recoorded. Blood Eagle Wings is epic

All of Them Thieves is killer.

As usual , people will try and compare this with SOWN, which is pointless.

They were a completely different band with Bush and personally for me, nothing they ever recorded will ever top SOWN or WCFYA.

Last edited:
Reactions: timmyc
5 or 6 listens in, had it on all weekend, and I honestly feel it's their best album since 'White Noise', or possibly even since 'Persistence'. They've really created something great here.

As I mentioned in previous post, over half the album was immediate and those songs have just grown in stature on subsequent listens; 'You Gotta Believe' (love the 'Ancient Mariner'-type section), 'Monster at the End' (fantastic groove and propulsion with a killer chorus and vocal hooks; simply a classic metal tune). 'Evil Twin' is an album highlight, wonderful arrangement, great lyrics, this one is a killer. 'Zero Tolerance' - again, like 'Twin', great arrangement, and an exciting thrasher; love it.

The epics- 'Blood Eagle Wings' is stellar, hooks and melodies very well written on this very atmospheric track, another album highlight. 'Breathing Lightning' is unlike anything they've ever done - it just sounds huge, it sounds epic. Very commercial, catchy, melodic, and with as good a chorus as they've done. The middle/solo and outro are extremely well done.

'For All Kings' & 'Suzerain' have great dynamics, great chorus's, and are up there with the best the album has to offer. The album is really full of highlights.

'Defend Avenge' will become a live favourite; again the arrangement is catchy in itself, the chorus a chant-along bringing back memories of ATL.

'All of them Thieves' & 'The Battle Chose Us' weren't as immediate but they are growing on me; the thrash sections of both tracks are exciting and well done.

Expectations exceeded, 'For All Kings' I do think will be referenced in future as one of their greats. Lyrically, melodically, arrangement-wise, 'Thrax are at the top of their game. After 25 years of being a fan, sometimes a lapsed fan in those times, 'Worship' brought me back in with it's quality, but 'For All Kings' surpassed it; it's quite something to have the band writing and performing at such a high level of quality after 30+ years. Megadeth will have a hard time topping this one when 'Dystopia' drops on Friday, and Metallica - if they ever release it, I think won't come close. Iron Maiden's 'Book of Souls' sounds tired and over long compared to the visceral experience of hearing 'For All Kings'.

Reactions: timmyc
Just gave the album a few more spins.

Sounds much better after several listens. Better and more cohesive than Worship Music, by far. And their best since SOWN. Can't say if it's better than SOWN already, but it's at least as good.

Anyway, the album is what it is, and obviously it can't be changed. But here's a theoretical exercise: if i was the producer or had part in the band's decisions, here's what i would change to improve the flow and strength of the album.

And yes, i'm aware that most people nowadays don't listen to full albums. They select their favorite songs on iTunes or spotify, and that's it. This exercise is just for the purists, who still enjoy listening to the albums all the way through.

"Breathing Lightning" had to go. Since the band and most fans love the song so much, it could be saved as the lead single from a new EP, to be released together with the album, later this year. Or even as an isolated single, that could be released on a special edition in Vinyl. The song would not lose it's relevance, and the album would flow much better.

After the song "For All Kings", there should be a fast, or mid-paced song (like "Blood", for example), before "Suzerain". It would increase the dynamics from the first part of the album.

My other problem with the album, is the outro on "Blood Eagle Wings". The last instrumental minute. It's not bad and it's not good. It's just there, filling space. Doesn't really have a point and just drags. The song is placed on a very important moment of the album, and that outro cuts the mood for the rest of the songs. Unnecessary.

The other problems are minor things. The snare is low on the mix, in my opinion. Some songs suffer with that "lack" of punch. Doesn't need to be much louder, just loud enough to carry the songs. The rest of the drums are mixed perfectly. The snare just got buried on the mix. Anybody else felt that?

The final problem with the album is the awful cover. I don't know what they were thinking, but those "statues" with the crowns are just cringeworthy. I'll probably buy the album, but the cover is a huge turn off. Not that big of a deal, but it still bothers me.

And those are all the negatives i can't point out to the album. I like almost everything, and the second half (after BEW) is actually really good. It's a shame those tracks are a bit hidden, after that long outro.

Anyway, it's a much better album after a few listens, and it's actually really good. With a few changes here and there, it would be almost perfect.

But it is what it is. And it's good.

Last edited: