New album update

When Joey was fired back in 1992, I read several interviews with Scott and Charlie where they stated that one of reasons of his firing was the fact he'd never involved in writing process. I don't know whether he didn't want to or Scott and Charlie didn't want to. Anyway, when Joey released his first solo album, Charlie said something like "I listened to it and it sounds like very, very bad Anthrax". Frankly, it's strange to me Charlie, Scott and Frank would let him wrote anything if they thought his musical ideas suck. I'd guess he just arranged some vocal lines at the most. If Joey was good in writing music, I don't think he'd be the last one on the list before WM came out... They needed a singer who can sing and write music. Joey likely met only one condition (while Bush and apparently Nelson as well met both). In interviews, when it comes to the question "Did Joey involve in writing process?", it's naturally better to say "He did" and pretend that he's actually the right guy for the band :eek:. On the other hand, most people don't give a shit who wrote lyrics or music. Anthrax got the new album and that's it. ;)

If u ever get the chance to read Scott's book he pretty much apologises for what they did to joey,Scott had a lot of demons and grunge came along,anthrax def wanted to change there sound,they were indeed quite nasty to joey back then but the book takes a lot of that back

Reactions: YOYOMOSHMAN
When Joey was fired back in 1992, I read several interviews with Scott and Charlie where they stated that one of reasons of his firing was the fact he'd never involved in writing process. I don't know whether he didn't want to or Scott and Charlie didn't want to. Anyway, when Joey released his first solo album, Charlie said something like "I listened to it and it sounds like very, very bad Anthrax". Frankly, it's strange to me Charlie, Scott and Frank would let him wrote anything if they thought his musical ideas suck. I'd guess he just arranged some vocal lines at the most. If Joey was good in writing music, I don't think he'd be the last one on the list before WM came out... They needed a singer who can sing and write music. Joey likely met only one condition (while Bush and apparently Nelson as well met both). In interviews, when it comes to the question "Did Joey involve in writing process?", it's naturally better to say "He did" and pretend that he's actually the right guy for the band :eek:. On the other hand, most people don't give a shit who wrote lyrics or music. Anthrax got the new album and that's it. ;)

Keep in mind that when Anthrax arbitrarily decided to go in a different direction, which included a different singer, there was seemingly unwarranted animosity towards Joey so I guess it depends on what mood they were in when interviewed back then. Around the time Joey's 1st solo album was released, I read in another interview (either Rolling Stone or Guitar World, can't recall), where Charlie said that he listened to Joey's 1st solo album and said it was very good with no negative comments.

Also, 1992 Anthrax is not the same as 2016 Anthrax mentally and musically. If they truly believed that Joey's input "sucked", then why call him back numerous times (even while John was still in the band) and co-write music on the last two albums? LOL. Keep in mind that the reunion tour wasn't the 1st time Joey was called back to tour with Anthrax. Back in 99, he was called back but negotiation$ fell through.

Laying down (big) vocals, hooks, melodies, and arrangement within a song is a major part of songwriting, which is more than just a good riff and drums lol. Its why the writing credits on albums with Joey say: "written and arranged by Anthrax"

Last edited:
Scott mentions in his book that part of the problem was Joey couldn't convey his very personal lyrics on POT in the style he wanted - keep in mind Scott was in the middle of his very messy divorce.

Yep I'm finally reading his book ;-)

Scott mentions in his book that part of the problem was Joey couldn't convey his very personal lyrics on POT in the style he wanted - keep in mind Scott was in the middle of his very messy divorce.

Yep I'm finally reading his book ;-)

When talking about this, is it just me or have the lyrics on the new record become less personal and introspective and more cheesy? War, politics, Stephen King books...

I'm enjoying the lyrics on this one actually; 'Evil Twin' and 'Zero Tolerance' being two of my favourites.

Which song features Stephen King influenced lyrical content?

When talking about this, is it just me or have the lyrics on the new record become less personal and introspective and more cheesy? War, politics, Stephen King books...

I'm enjoying this stuff a lot,serious has been done to death,still enough political stuff to keep theme people that like it happy,it's really been overcookedrecent years

So what songs from FAK do we think will be played live when Anthrax headline their own shows? They usually would do about 3-4 if their WM headline gigs are anything to go by.

You Gotta Believe would make a great opener and they've pretty much always opened with their first tune from each record. It has the perfect intro music for the live setting which I'm sure they put onto record for that reason.

Evil Twin surely won't go anywhere. Breathing Lightning is a single / radio song - will that come out? To me they're the likely ones - is there another? Defend / Avenge would be very cool live, but I'm not sure...... My other pick if I had the choice would be Monster at the End, just cause I love it.

I'm thinking the two new live songs will be You Gotta Believe (since they've been playing teasers of it live) and Ride the Lightning

They'd be crazy not to also add Defend Avenge and/or Zero Tolerance

They'll play You Gotta Believe at first headlining show, then replace it with Caught In A Mosh. Evil Twin and Breathing Lightning will stay in the set, unless it's a festival set, where they only play Antisocial, Got The Time and I Am The Law.

Reactions: Anthrax_Mosher
I'm thinking the two new live songs will be You Gotta Believe (since they've been playing teasers of it live) and Ride the Lightning

They'd be crazy not to also add Defend Avenge and/or Zero Tolerance

You're right, they might as well play a Metallica cover (Ride The Lightning) :))

Suspect Breathing Lightning and Evil Twin/or/Gotta Believe.

Or they'll just start with ATL as usual ;-)

2 weeks in and I still have it on heavy rotation, as well as rediscovering the entire back catalogue - as for live, 'You Gotta Believe' is perfectly built as an opener. I would love for them to play the entire thing, almost every song I can easily imagine live. Practically, as they'll probably only play 3 or 4 - Evil Twin (what a great song!), Monster at the End (still one of my favourites - it would be amazing live!), and Breathing Lightening.

How great it would be to hear Blood Eagle Wings, Zero Tolerance and Suzerain live!

This album and WM are high quality and IF they played a set comprised of half from these albums, I'd be more than happy. I hope they keep The Devil You Know, Fight 'Em, and my Number 1 from that album - I'm Alive!