New album update

I've had the album playing consistently since Friday and I'm still on the fence about it... but I can't work out why, as it's not a bad album.

The best I've managed as any sort of explanation so far is that although the music is solid, as are the vocals, I don't feel they gel together. And even though I said the music is solid, I'm swaying towards the music not doing enough justice to the vocals.

Anyway. Maybe it'll grow on me *shrugs*

@xentrix I was the same. Took me a while to really get it - then it just grew and grew on me. Now I absolutely love it.

No matter how hard I try, I just simply cannot get the chorus of Monster at the End out of my head!!!!!!

I found myself whistling the fucker at the supermarket checkout tonight!!!!!!

Fantastic tune.

Also that lead!!!!! If you didn't know Dimebag was no longer with us, you'd swear it was him. That tone....... Donais is a huge fan of him and i can't help but feel it must be played with him firmly in mind. Killer.

Reactions: inmyworld
No matter how hard I try, I just simply cannot get the chorus of Monster at the End out of my head!!!!!!

Fantastic tune.

Also that lead!!!!! If you didn't know Dimebag was no longer with us, you'd swear it was him. That tone....... Donais is a huge fan of him and i can't help but feel it must be played with him firmly in mind. Killer.[/QUOTDimebag Darrell inspired for sure,he nailed all his leads on metal masters

Fantastic tune.

Also that lead!!!!! If you didn't know Dimebag was no longer with us, you'd swear it was him. That tone....... Donais is a huge fan of him and i can't help but feel it must be played with him firmly in mind. Killer.
Jon absolutely knocked it out of the park with his leads on this album. It's some of the most inspired guitar work on any Anthrax album to date IMO. The band thinks so too - at the listening party on the eve of the release, during the Q&A Scott said something to the effect of "In the past we were always looking for ways to shorten solo sections because they pandered too much. With Jon, we're looking for ways to extend them, because his playing demands it".

Jon absolutely knocked it out of the park with his leads on this album. It's some of the most inspired guitar work on any Anthrax album to date IMO. The band thinks so too - at the listening party on the eve of the release, during the Q&A Scott said something to the effect of "In the past we were always looking for ways to shorten solo sections because they pandered too much. With Jon, we're looking for ways to extend them, because his playing demands it".

Yeah I ready that in an interview with Scott too. He said pretty much the same thing...... the songs had their places for the leads and because his stuff was so killer, they made more room for Jon. Awesome comment, and an amazing compliment to him. And much deserved. Out of all Anthrax albums, FAK displays the best lead guitar work by some way for me.

This album is just absolutely killer. Way better than Dystopia. Evil Twin is the worst song on there and that's a decent song. Jon does do some phenomenal stuff as does everyone else. Color me impressed.

Reactions: timmyc
I found Dystopia grabbed me straight away - probably as it's riffs very heavily on some of Megadeth's biggest `hits' so to speak.

That said to say one is better than the other is hard for me - I love them equally. Think both are quality albums and some of the best work both bands have done since their peak days.

Listening a few more times this week, parts of this album definitely remind me of Persistence Of Time, Evil Twin and Monster at the End for example. Totally disagree about Evil Twin being one of the worst/the worst track.

Listening a few more times this week, parts of this album definitely remind me of Persistence Of Time, Evil Twin and Monster at the End for example. Totally disagree about Evil Twin being one of the worst/the worst track.
It's middle of the road for me. I liked it a lot better after seeing it live.

After living with the album for a week and a half, these are my rankings from best to worse:
1. Breathing Lightning
2. You Gotta Believe
3. Zero Tolerance
4. Monster At The End
5. This Battle Chose Us
6. Defend/Avenge
7. Evil Twin
8. All Of Them Thieves
9. For All Kings
10. Suzerain
11. Blood Eagle Wings

I'll have a go at ranking the record too, although it changes very regularly!!

1. You Gotta Believe
2. Monster at the End
3. Suzerain
4. Evil Twin
5. For All Kings
6. Defend Avenge
7. Blood Eagle Wings
8. All of Them Thieves
9. Zero Tolerance
10. Breathing Lightning
11. This Battle Chose Us

Something like that.

One Amazon reviewer writes:

"I've had this album for a few weeks now. After the exceptional Worship Music, I was really looking forward to what the band would do on their next album now that Joey would be in the writing process again.Then, news broke that guitarist Rob Caggiano would be leaving the band. Now, this really didn't bother me at first. The band kept on writing, acquiring Jon Donais from Shadow's Fall fame to be the new guitarist and promising back to roots" thrash record was in the making. Well, I'm not sure if they're still making that record or what, but For All Kings is anything but a thrash album. Don't get me wrong, there are some good, almost great tracks on here in Monster at the End, the very melodic and infectious Breathing Lightning and one of the lone thrash-y moments in Suzerain. But on initial listen, where I was told this would be a pure thrash album, I was severely disappointed. I don't understand why the band would want to label themselves into a corner to begin with as even Worship Music was not all thrash of course, but it is certainly more closer to Anthrax's sound than this album. The band just doesn't sound as inspired or playing at the top of their game here, plain and simple. Joey sounds great vocally, but the lyrics come off as repetitive and weak at times. Charlie really, really mailed in this one as he is arguably one of the best drummers in thrash. Donais offers little to nothing memorable on this and I strongly believe it's because of the tight grip control that Scott and Charlie hold over the band. Do we really need this many long intros for songs on one album?! You aren't Iron Maiden. Basically, don't believe the hype! Listen with your own ears and make your own decision, even if Lady Gaga says it's amazing."

I'm not getting all the complaints that it's not as thrashy as Worship Music. That had Fight Em', Earth on Hell, and............

One Amazon reviewer writes:

"I've had this album for a few weeks now. After the exceptional Worship Music, I was really looking forward to what the band would do on their next album now that Joey would be in the writing process again.Then, news broke that guitarist Rob Caggiano would be leaving the band. Now, this really didn't bother me at first. The band kept on writing, acquiring Jon Donais from Shadow's Fall fame to be the new guitarist and promising back to roots" thrash record was in the making. Well, I'm not sure if they're still making that record or what, but For All Kings is anything but a thrash album. Don't get me wrong, there are some good, almost great tracks on here in Monster at the End, the very melodic and infectious Breathing Lightning and one of the lone thrash-y moments in Suzerain. But on initial listen, where I was told this would be a pure thrash album, I was severely disappointed. I don't understand why the band would want to label themselves into a corner to begin with as even Worship Music was not all thrash of course, but it is certainly more closer to Anthrax's sound than this album. The band just doesn't sound as inspired or playing at the top of their game here, plain and simple. Joey sounds great vocally, but the lyrics come off as repetitive and weak at times. Charlie really, really mailed in this one as he is arguably one of the best drummers in thrash. Donais offers little to nothing memorable on this and I strongly believe it's because of the tight grip control that Scott and Charlie hold over the band. Do we really need this many long intros for songs on one album?! You aren't Iron Maiden. Basically, don't believe the hype! Listen with your own ears and make your own decision, even if Lady Gaga says it's amazing."
Well Joey was never involved in the writing process, so I'm not sure exactly what he was expecting...

I'll have a go at ranking the record too, although it changes very regularly!!

1. You Gotta Believe
2. Monster at the End
3. Suzerain
4. Evil Twin
5. For All Kings
6. Defend Avenge
7. Blood Eagle Wings
8. All of Them Thieves
9. Zero Tolerance
10. Breathing Lightning
11. This Battle Chose Us

Something like that.

This is almost exactly how I would rank them with the exception of exchanging Evil Twin with Breathing Lightning. Good stuff.