new big 4 of thrash

mdmatt4ever

Sep 27, 2006
anyone else think since the late 90's exodus, testament, flotsam and jetsam and overkill have taken over as the new big 4 of thrash?

Hmmm... I don't think so. But that's just me...
I would say that all four have kept their name out there.
With Overkill being the most consistent of the four...

i was kinda reffering to the fact that anthrax, megadeth, metallica and slayer have made some pretty inconsistent releases since the early 90's

I think Abandoned, Evile, Fueled By Fire are the NEW big acts of thrash (still have to review Gamma Bomb). The bands you mentioned just kept (like you said) more consistent during the 90's up today.

I think we're well beyond the "Big-4" type phenomenon in any genre. The early-mid 80's musical lanscape from which the so-called Big-4 emerged was an altogether different animal than we have today. And although I have always felt that Big-4 was at least somewhat, if not largely overrated nearly from the start, their Big-4 status is derived more from their broader influence, their groundbreaking nature, than how "good" or ultimately consistent they were or have been.

Though modern Exodus, Testament, etc., are creating some decent to exceptional thrash, they are certainly not exploring uncharted territory or doing anything demonstrably original or new by any means in my opinion. I just heard the new Testament today - very solid, very enjoyable, very well played...very familiar.

Though modern Exodus, Testament, etc., are creating some decent to exceptional thrash, they are certainly not exploring uncharted territory or doing anything demonstrably original or new by any means in my opinion. I just heard the new Testament today - very solid, very enjoyable, very well played...very familiar.
Why fix it if it's not broken? . They are original because they are the originators of thrash lol It's the followers that are not original. I equate the original thrashers to AC/DC, yes they are predictable but they are consistent and do not fade away. Plus their music still kicks ass. Look at what venturing out got Metallica lol :yuk:

Why fix it if it's not broken? . They are original because they are the originators of thrash lol It's the followers that are not original. I equate the original thrashers to AC/DC, yes they are predictable but they are consistent and do not fade away. Plus their music still kicks ass. Look at what venturing out got Metallica lol :yuk:

i actually enjoy load and reload and garage inc and the few new songs that were on soundtracks and on the symphony album. its st anger that really destroyed them

Are you sure Overkill is still not thrash? I have ALL but one of their albums, and they still sound about the same, and even heavier the last decade. I myself always favored the second wave of thrash, especially the bay area bands...
Forbidden
Heathen
Holy Terror
and Arizona 2nd wave....
Sacred Reich
Atrophy
Flotsam&Jetsam
Megadeth is the only one to me, of the big 4, that still puts out decent albums.

Are you sure Overkill is still not thrash? I have ALL but one of their albums, and they still sound about the same, and even heavier the last decade. I myself always favored the second wave of thrash, especially the bay area bands...
Forbidden
Heathen
Holy Terror
and Arizona 2nd wave....
Sacred Reich
Atrophy
Flotsam&Jetsam
Megadeth is the only one to me, of the big 4, that still puts out decent albums.

i just got immortalis, overkill still sounds thrash to me.

I fear you missed, or I didn't adequately make my point. Naming a new "Big-4" including bands like Testament, Exodus, Overkill, etc., who themselves date back virtually or actually to the Metallica, Slayer, etc., heyday doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose - particularly since they are essentially still doing much as they have done all along, with several perhaps unfortunate detours along the way. In other words, I think we are saying much the the same thing.

I fear you missed, or I didn't adequately make my point. Naming a new "Big-4" including bands like Testament, Exodus, Overkill, etc., who themselves date back virtually or actually to the Metallica, Slayer, etc., heyday doesn't seem to serve much of a purpose - particularly since they are essentially still doing much as they have done all along, with several perhaps unfortunate detours along the way. In other words, I think we are saying much the the same thing.

this thread was more to point out that these 4 bands were underrated in the 80's and now they put out beter albums so maybe the metal community should start calling these 4 bands the big 4 of thrash since the original big 4 sold out and put out stuff thats pretty far away from thrash

I would like to mention the young upcoming band Bonded by Blood.
Check out their Myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/bondedbyblood

As for the big 4 now; I really like what Exodus has been doing since Rob Dukes joined them. I saw them a few weeks ago at the Dynamo club. And they were great! For me they are the only relevant 80s thrash band at the moment.

I like Evile but I don't consider them special just yet.

But the significance of the "big four" was... they were "big" because they put thrash on the map, that can't be replaced. Its a title which makes reference to four peticular bands and anyone concerned knows who you are talking about..... otherwise it would be like "ah... which big four are you talking about ? ". Like Elvis as "The King" of RnR, he will always be "The King" and everyone will always know who you are talking about.

I like Evile but I don't consider them special just yet.

I forgot certainly Bonded By Blood, but I don't consider any of them (except the awsome Abandoned) special, but for sure they are the NEW big names in thrash. Original? No, Special? No, Thrash? Hell fucking yeah, more thrash than some of the bands that have been around for 20 years or so.

i actually enjoy load and reload and garage inc and the few new songs that were on soundtracks and on the symphony album. its st anger that really destroyed them
To me the beginning of the end for them started with AJFA though others might say it started with the Black album... but anyways they are nothing of their former selves around after those two albums which is : Thrash