New Enslaved Album

AwesomeThread.jpg

:lol:

To be fair, if you're going to make claims about Enslaved pushing boundaries, you should be able to defend it instead of whining when you're called on it.

I'm perfectly content listening to something that doesn't push boundaries. Why should everything you listen to be cutting edge avant gardge for it to be an enjoyable experience?

It is inherently proved that the boundaries of black metal have been pushed merely by the fact that black metal dorks like this get upset when a band releases something along these lines, whether its a regression to something mainstream or not, the boundaries of what they find an acceptable experiment in black metal have been pushed. In much the same way as when Miles Davis put mainstream rock sounds into Jazz all the Jazz dorks of that time got upset (and no Im not comparing Enslaved to Davis in terms of their musical ability, just the concept of joining genres and fan reactions).

If you dont like it fine, but its an experimental sound that hasnt been tried before either way.

edit: btw not even a huge fan of enslaved, and havent even heard the new album yet lol

Well, basically Mr. Requiem your question is absurd. For evidence to my point that Enslaved are "pushing musical boundaries" If you got it in you, I suggest listening to their whole cataloque, start in the beginning, fuck man I'm so sure of my "silly assertion" I'll say start at "Monumension" and listen up to "Vertebrae", and if you don't hear a pushing of musical boundaries(in metal), a superb growth or evolution in Enslaved's songwriting, musicianship and quality of production, well then, either your not attentively listening, your not fucking breathing, or you just have no idea what your talking about. The proof of the mighty Enslaved lies not in my opinion but, in listening to the band. I'd like you to back up, why my assertion is "silly." And if you can't, leave your computer on, go sit in the fucking corner, pay attention, and maybe you might learn something! Don't post if you have nothing valuable and substantiative to say. Too many fucking kids on this board, and some really intelligient musical people, who seem to have been here awhile. Peace.

Absolutely correct. Most users here are morons. I used to check the 'peth forum everyday a few years back...that is until I stopped buying all my music from BestBuy. There are some good guys though. If anyone wants to have real and intelligent metal conversations, I recommend: www.metal-realm.net

Everyone there really knows their shit....and there are no kvlt blax metu-uhlz gr1m faggots either.

Stupid comparison. When Miles Davis started incorporating funk sounds with Bitches Brew, funk was essentially a brand new artform. He was on the cutting edge of the mainstream. But guess what, Pink Floyd hasn't had a new album in almost 15 years. This ain't the cutting edge of anything.

And, it is worth noting that with the benefit of hindsight, Kind of Blue is almost universally considered Davis' best work, not Bitches Brew or any of the early 70s followups.

What planet are you from? The Pink Floyd + Metal gimmick has been ridden into the ground.

Lol I thought it was pretty clear I wasnt comparing the musical acclomplishments of Davis to Enslaved, merely that your an upset dork who takes black metal too seriously.

What other black metal bands have ridden the pink floyd + 70s progressive rock influence into the ground? Serious question, as tbh Im really not that familiar with many black metal bands and would be interested to hear any

Stupid comparison. When Miles Davis started incorporating funk sounds with Bitches Brew, funk was essentially a brand new artform. He was on the cutting edge of the mainstream. But guess what, Pink Floyd hasn't had a new album in almost 15 years. This ain't the cutting edge of anything.

And, it is worth noting that with the benefit of hindsight, Kind of Blue is almost universally considered Davis' best work, not Bitches Brew or any of the early 70s followups.

What planet are you from? The Pink Floyd + Metal gimmick has been ridden into the ground.

nobody-cares.jpg

Bleh.. I wrote something and it got deleted when trying to reply.

The gist being:
- Enslaved don't = most groundbreaking band ever.. But there is no other band who actually sound like them.. Only bands sharing similarities in sound and/or influence.. Or having been an influence on the band.
- a lot of what has been said is just opinion.
- yawn.

who cares, enslaved really isn't pushing boundaries. most metal doesn't, especially now when everything is a rehash of a rehash of a rehash. vertebrae is a solid album. there's solid songwriting, solid lyrics (other than a couple :erk: lines around the album), solid playing. grutle's vocals are awesome as always and it's nice to see herbrand's vocals more up front. eos imoafaik

While I like Enslaved, I think it's funny how everyone gets all defensive when TR makes his point, and after a while people still can't prove him wrong, and everyone reverts to "ok you're right, but never mind, the whole basis of our argument isn't important anyway."

Listen Mr. Requiem, Ive said over and over, listen to the music. And to your point about pushing boundaries, Enslaved's discography should convince in terms, of boundaries, evolution in songwriting, musicianship and growth. It's obvious that we have differing opinions about Enslaved. That's fine, really it's a simple music discussion that is going round and round. Does my opinion of enslaved going to change yours? I don't think so and vice versa. I hear Enslaved "pushing boundaries" and you don't. No big deal. I've tried to substantiate my thoughts by saying Listen to the band. The music will speak for itself. I'm getting off this ride. I really have nothing to add, and nothing more to say. "You either like it or you don't. Period.

Listen Mr. Requiem, Ive said over and over, listen to the music. And to your point about pushing boundaries, Enslaved's discography should convince in terms, of boundaries, evolution in songwriting, musicianship and growth. It's obvious that we have differing opinions about Enslaved. That's fine, really it's a simple music discussion that is going round and round. Does my opinion of enslaved going to change yours? I don't think so and vice versa. I hear Enslaved "pushing boundaries" and you don't. No big deal. I've tried to substantiate my thoughts by saying Listen to the band. The music will speak for itself. I'm getting off this ride. I really have nothing to add, and nothing more to say. "You either like it or you don't. Period.

enslaved really doesn't push any boundaries though. they've been following the same formula for most of their career...black metal + prog/psych. the prog/psych influence has just become a bigger part of their songwriting since the days of eld.

many bands have those influences, hell opeth have prog/psych influences in their music. most metal bands don't push any boundaries because everything has been done before. enslaved is no exception. nor is opeth. a band like fluerty or ved buens ende were pushing boundaries long before enslaved were.

vertebrae is still a solid album, it just isn't innovative or groundbreaking.

Alrighty then, if people don't hear what I hear that's fine. One of the things that makes music so awesome. Miles Davis extension of his jazz structure was the creation/integration of fusion not funk. Bitches Brew was a gateway album for Jazz/Rock fusion. For funk creativity listen to Head Hunters by Herbie Hancock. BB, I think was 1969 and had many brilliant jazz musicians record on it.