new Maiden album reviewed = 5 stars

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
:headbang: IRON MAIDEN - Forthcoming Album Earns Five "K" Rating In Kerrang! Magazine

Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 at 01:19:23

Courtesy of Maidenfans.com, the following is Kerrang! Magazine's review on IRON MAIDEN's highly anticipated new album, A Matter Of Life And Death, written by Steve BeeBee:

Iron Maiden
A Matter Of Life And Death
KKKKK

"'Nothing is gonna come between us and our fans, and it will be death before dishonour - this is Iron Fucking Maiden!'

That was Bruce Dickinson, speaking out under a hail of eggs and detritus at last years's Ozzfest isn San Bernardino, California, during one of the most controversial and infamous incidents in recent rock history. That, my friends, is a frontman.

While Maiden have respectfully distanced themselves from the alleged sabotage of their set that night, they have remained in combative mood ever since. If you thought new music from these veteran standard-bearers of British Metal might see them cooling down in any respect, A Matter Of Life And Death will answer as Maiden know best - loudly, aggressively and memorably. Although not a concept album, war and the missuse of religion to justify conflict is a near constant, from artwork to lyrics to all-out musical attack. War is a theme Maiden have tackled many times before, but never with such purpose, such tenacious realism and, yes, thoughtfulness, as they do here.

Forget wildly inappropriate single 'The Reincarnation oF Bejamin Breeg' - this album is about tracks like 'The Longest Day' and 'These Colours Don't Run', the latter a sly reference to another of Bruce's comments on that fateful evening in San Bernardino. The former develops gradually into a chorus fit for arena chanting and fist-pumping, one that is succeeded by a martial battering of drums and an evolving six-string showdown.

'For The Greater Good Of God' bleeds into another big hook, unfurling its banner amid epic orchestration. Time changes and three-part guitar solos hurtle from ear to ear, and vary in speed, tone and intensity. It's another Maiden classic that does not compromise heaviness in achieving its nine-minute span. 'The Pilgrim' and opener 'Different World' are immediate if relatively standardised rockers, while the balladic 'Out Of The Shadows' draws yet another untouchable vocal performance from Dickinson, redolent of his solo hit 'Tears Of The Dragon'.

Maiden fans will revel in the gallop and surge of 'Brighter Than A Thousand Suns', Steve Harris' bass twanging high in the mix, while closer 'The Legacy' - concluding the theme of war breeding more war - features a call-to-arms fanfare of electric guitars blaring intermittently through movie soundtrack ambience and acoustics.

Although A Matter Of Life And Death perhaps may be too ambitious for some palates, this album keeps everything longtime fans loved about Iron Maiden alive. The bristling heaviness, the time changes, the astonishing musicalilty, the filmic grandeur. Hoist your flag high."

Steve Beebee

Well it´s only Kerrang.
But at this point I know the album will rock.
moshparta8bm.gif

Well, let's get that mother released already. I've had a good feeling in my gut about it for awhile.

You know, is it just me? Or is there a lot of good stuff coming out (or about to come out) right now. Motorhead, the new Blind Guardian (not a huge fan, but the new tracks sound killer), Maiden, and some others I'm forgetting.

Maiden though, their legend is so secure that they could release 5 or 6 shyte albums and they'd still be forgiven in the long run of history. Nonetheless, they continue to put out great (Brave New World), and at least good (DOD) albums. They seem reinvigorated to me, and I do believe this album is reeeeeally gonna rank.

ElectricWiz said:
You know, is it just me? Or is there a lot of good stuff coming out (or about to come out) right now. Motorhead, the new Blind Guardian (not a huge fan, but the new tracks sound killer), Maiden, and some others I'm forgetting.
yes i am huge BG fan. they sound like real cool tracks, although im not sure howd they compare next to ANATO. new slayer came, i dont like it, but its still a new metal album :D. lets see, oh Wastefall. pretty recent cd just came out, awesome i may add. Pyramaze's LOTBC is pretty new this year. hell, a good year for metal indeed!

ElectricWiz said:
Maiden though, their legend is so secure that they could release 5 or 6 shyte albums and they'd still be forgiven in the long run of history. Nonetheless, they continue to put out great (Brave New World), and at least good (DOD) albums. They seem reinvigorated to me, and I do believe this album is reeeeeally gonna rank.

hell yes! i have 3 songs, Benjamin Breeg, Different World, and Brighter Than A Thousand Suns. they are all awesome. i have to say from best to worse they go in the order listed, but still rule! a real haevy feel to this album, especially on Benjamin Breeg i do believe. if you havent heard any, or not all 3, they have them all avaible www.ironmaiden.com ! :headbang:

i cant wait to hear some of these tracks, especially These Colours Don't Run -(part of his quote from ozzfest) and The Legacy which Janick i believe commented greatly on.

Argh, it seems that the local record store opens up at 00:01 AM next Friday just because of the new Maiden release. I'm actually thinking about going there to get the album ASAP. :lol: :kickass:

Holy smoke! I just downloaded TROBB (The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg) from the Iron Maiden digital store and it is an amazing song... the CD sound quality brings everything into perspective so nicely. This track slays! I can't wait to hear all the other songs.. and the ones that we already heard with CD quality sound!

Although I am a fan of BNW and DOD, I think this album will be even better :worship:

Dunno...Haven't heard the album yet myself, but as I consider Kerrang totally irrelevant for a long time now and Maiden's releases aren't as good as they should be, it seems to me K! do their fair share of sucking up to the almighty Maiden...

Benjamin Breeg failed to excite me much, it's an okay song, but nothing to rave about IMO. If that reflects the rest of the album, then it's barely 3 K's then, but let's give it a listen anyway...

SickBoy said:
Dunno...Haven't heard the album yet myself, but as I consider Kerrang totally irrelevant for a long time now and Maiden's releases aren't as good as they should be, it seems to me K! do their fair share of sucking up to the almighty Maiden...

Benjamin Breeg failed to excite me much, it's an okay song, but nothing to rave about IMO. If that reflects the rest of the album, then it's barely 3 K's then, but let's give it a listen anyway...

iagree.gif

I just listened to samples of all the songs (I know samples are short), but I'm amazed that the place put slow parts for most of the songs whcih either is a bad call or a sign that the album comes meh. The one that caught my ear nevertheless was 'The Pilgrim' still not enough to make me jump the way 'Be Quick Or Be Dead' did in its time.

http://www.connect-europe.com/GB/en/album/static/001/360/node48_album_NextRow1360978.html

SoundMaster said:
The North American release date is Tuesday, September 5.

The single I heard on the radio really didnt excite me much, but as always I will give it a full listen when purchasing it on release day. DoD kinda bored me so i hope for better.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
This album has leaked for those with eye patches and parrots on their shoulders. ;)

ARRRRRRR!!!! Bad internet service keeps me from downloading. Theres nothing but Dial up in the mountains.

Authentic Metalhead said:
Blind Guardian's new album is coming out that day as well, so I think I'll stick with that. Post 80's IM tends not to agree with my tastes (excluding "Brave New World").

Same here. I made the mistake to celebrate my friend Daniel birthday yesterday playing classic Maiden. Now I feel less related to the new music of the band than before, even Daniel said it: I'm a Maiden fan but they haven't made anything relevant after SSOASS. I can perfectly live if those albums were never made.

Not very excited about the new BG, didn't grab me as hard as ANATO or the classic releases but still gonna buy it.

Of course Motorhead new album comes first :D

Wyvern said:
Same here. I made the mistake to celebrate my friend Daniel birthday yesterday playing classic Maiden. Now I feel less related to the new music of the band than before, even Daniel said it: I'm a Maiden fan but they haven't made anything relevant after SSOASS. I can perfectly live if those albums were never made.
I agree; "Number of the Beast", "Piece of Mind", and "Powerslave" were incredible albums, but none of their other albums have really appealed to me as much.
Not very excited about the new BG, didn't grab me as hard as ANATO or the classic releases but still gonna buy it.
I know what you mean, their sound changed a lot. But it's Blind Guardian nonetheless and I want to see how their new drummer can handle on a full album.
Of course Motorhead new album comes first :D
I never liked Motorhead.

Authentic Metalhead said:
I know what you mean, their sound changed a lot. But it's Blind Guardian nonetheless and I want to see how their new drummer can handle on a full album.

Pretty well I think, I already check the album and I think we are not going to miss Thomen, so he can concentrate in Savage Circus and actually we won two bands.

I never liked Motorhead.

BLASPHEMER! :p