New Mastodon album title and cover revealed

the song they released with the video were both fucking amazing so im excited for this. plus with a title like BLASTEROIDS how can you go wrong?!?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's easily the worst... I've ever seen. :lol: My god, it's just SO BAAAAAAAAAAD.

I really didn't expect to after seeing the artist's other artwork.. but there's something about this one I actually dig. It's fucking ridiculous, but I like it. Of course it has nothing on Romano's artwork, and the logo and symbols are gone, but it's a nice change. Suits the random, fucked up song titles. I'm sure the music will be fucking good no matter what.

Looks like LSD. Thumbs up from me.

Can imagine Melvins doing an album cover like this and nobody would be crying about it. But this is what happens when the metal audience is so close minded.

Yeah, it's only cause everyone's so used to Romano's style, and the old symbols and logo. The more I look at it the more I like it. Definitely a Mastodon vibe Romano or not.

Can imagine Melvins doing an album cover like this and nobody would be crying about it. But this is what happens when the metal audience is so close minded.

So thinking an album cover is weird makes us all close minded? That's good to know.

Well, it IS weird, as well as fucking terrifying! I mean WTF is that? A raindeer-chicken with 3chins and 4 ears!?

On the other hand, the track names sound cool and that clip sounded badass!

The cover of that album is atrocious. It looks like a retarded Mexican pinata. In my opinion, Mastodon peaked with Leviathan. Blood Mountain had a few good songs, but Crack the Skye did nothing for me.

Crack the Skye did nothing for me.

To each their own, but you're missing out on some amazing music, if you could hear that album how I hear it.

Dan was simply stating in general that metal audiences tend to be pretty closed minded with things like this, just because it's different than the norm, which I think is pretty true. No one would complain if it was a Melvins cover, most people would probably love it, but because everyone's used to Romano's artwork they're not open to change. Or maybe it's just not your style, but I can see a lot of people not giving it a chance.

I love all of their albums. Leviathan is my favorite I think but Blood Mountain is close second. Crack the Skye I would find hard to put in a list with their other albums because it is quite different from my point of view.

I think it's easily the worst... I've ever seen. :lol: My god, it's just SO BAAAAAAAAAAD.

Take some psychedelics and you'll be able to relate to it.

On Mastodon themselves, they've been going consistently downhill since Remission IMO. The reason I listen to Mastodon is because when it's good it just sounds like things being crushed. If I wanted some more progressive/psychedelic music, I'd listen to bands that do that stuff much better. Don't really care if that makes me appear close minded, I'll just listen to whatever I deem to be good thanks.