New MISS MAY I cd (produced by Joey Sturgis)

Why do you think it would be weird? Andy stated in the past that he frequently used to arrive at a solution where he blended 50% of the sampled live snare back onto itself. Not saying that you have to like Andy's snare sounds, but I don't recall there ever being anything weird about them.

Why do you think it would be weird? Andy stated in the past that he frequently used to arrive at a solution where he blended 50% of the sampled live snare back onto itself. Not saying that you have to like Andy's snare sounds, but I don't recall there ever being anything weird about them.

yeah, was thinking the same, why should that be weird?
It's common practice to augment live drumsounds with samples to solidify them without robbing them the "live-feel".

hmm, in the thread where you first started selling the drums for this cd you said this about the snare

On the snare I'm finding it needs a little mid tweak. I like to subtract -6 ish at 1000 hz ish at a narrow q of something like 3

Depends on your mix tho.

As always, reverb helps. I'm using mine in combination with a slate room sample and it sounds great!

did you end up dropping the slate room samples for the final production?

I love the reverse snares and reverbs flying around constantly on this record. Joey, in the meantime you have certainly created a huge archive with these swish and wosh FX by yourself. Or are you creating them from scratch everytime you need them? Then you need to have a damn optimized workflow for that. If I'm doing something like this it needs about 5-10 minutes until it sits nice in the mix...

Btw, could be a nice FX pack for sale, couldn't it? ;D

I love the reverse snares and reverbs flying around constantly on this record. Joey, in the meantime you have certainly created a huge archive with these swish and wosh FX by yourself. Or are you creating them from scratch everytime you need them? Then you need to have a damn optimized workflow for that. If I'm doing something like this it needs about 5-10 minutes until it sits nice in the mix...

Btw, could be a nice FX pack for sale, couldn't it? ;D

i have a buntch of presets i created that are setup with quick controls to tweak the settings that mean anything to me

they're in the form of track presets, so i can just add "big snare" to the song. and then make it bigger or smaller with a knob

you can set all of this stuff up with cubase.

i can't sell most fx packages because they start out with other effects / stuff from products which i can't resale.

i have a buntch of presets i created that are setup with quick controls to tweak the settings that mean anything to me

they're in the form of track presets, so i can just add "big snare" to the song. and then make it bigger or smaller with a knob

Sounds impressiv! I also love tweaking my Nuendo so that it does some work for me. But everything that has to do with reverse reverb or something always needs bouncing, so I can't imagine how using a track preset would help in this case. Ok, perhaps when your doing bus recording instead of bouncing.

Of course selling won't work because of copyright issues. Unfortunatly! ;)

Keep up your awesome work!

sorry joey, if you thought i was making a negative comment about your use of pod. i do like the tone you get from it, i just also like a lot of other amps too, and i'd really love to hear your take on them!

regardless of that, joey, the haters do have a history of hating, and indeed, they are going to hate. muchly so.

thanks,

it would be weird because the live snare and the sample snare are the same thing

so if i had a sample playing over the live, the phase would shift in and out and the two samples would cancel each other out in micro amounts

it would be different if the sampled snare was a completely different snare

it would be weird because the live snare and the sample snare are the same thing

so if i had a sample playing over the live, the phase would shift in and out and the two samples would cancel each other out in micro amounts

it would be different if the sampled snare was a completely different snare

not really, that's how everyone is doing it.
as long as the samples are in phase with the live snare all is grand.
great way to solidify (is that a word?) the dynamics/hits without changing the sound and feel of the original drumming too much.

I'm with Lasse. The phase would only really become an issue if the two hits being overlaid were 100% identical digital copies. Otherwise the same rules of phase tend to apply as blending other drums.

Not saying it *has* to be done this way, but it certainly does lead to more natural sounding snares.

I'm with Lasse. The phase would only really become an issue if the two hits being overlaid were 100% identical digital copies. Otherwise the same rules of phase tend to apply as blending other drums.

Not saying it *has* to be done this way, but it certainly does lead to more natural sounding snares.

i dunno

didnt really work out when i tried it

oh well

FWIW, I know plenty of dudes that sample the kit, record live drums, then use the samples from the drummer's kit to augment the live tracks.

i too assumed that's how it was done. Generally if a good kit sound is achieved, you spend a little time just taking samples of it? Tha's what we did with our album wasn't it Ermz?