New Social Thread

When the entire trip there rained and you still had to wait 2 hours in a line for a ride, believe me it was no fun. I got to ride like 5 rides and that was about it. I was willing to stay there in the rain as long as people would start to leave, but no one did. It was like they didn't even know it was pouring.

I agree with some of what you said Derek, but I wouldn't say boxers are the best strikers, rather they are the best punchers.

Regarding mma vs boxing, I personally don't like the comparison between the two sports because it's pretty useless. Your average mixed martial artist would lose to a wrestler in a wrestling match, lose to a boxer in a boxing match, and the same for jiu-jitsu or any other fighting discipline.

It's just that boxing for years was considered to be the fighting sport especially in North America, while many other disciplines of fighting were completely ignored or passed off as being weak, and useless in real fighting. MMA doesn't have the history that boxing has either.

However, the whole point of MMA is to bring together all disciplines of fightng under unified rules. This really, is the most fair, and accurate way to determine who the best fighters in the world are. These days, fighters who are one-dimensional or excel at one specific discipline aren't successful in mma. Semmy Schilt, a dutch kickboxer who is nealy 7 feet tall and a 4-time World Grand Prix Champion in K-1 has had a very poor mma career given his accomplishments. I would say that of the fighters who are crossing over from one fighting sport into mma, boxers are probably at the greatest disadvantage. So while mixed martial artists may not be the best at each respective fighting discipline, they are the best overall fighters in the world.

Tim Sylvia was always highly overrated when he was champion. Not to mention, a very arrogant person who thought way too much of his own striking abilities. The Mercer fight was actually supposed to be a boxing fight but that was changed at the last minute. Sylvia got destroyed easily but he was dropped seconds into his fights with Fedor, Couture, and at least a couple times in those Arlovski fights if I'm not mistaken.

But, that's the same Ray Mercer who got handled by a very green and inexperienced Kimbo Slice.

And I'm not sure if anyone has seen Mercer when he tried to do k-1, in a fight with Remy Bojansky.

Last edited by a moderator:
The UFC is the most consistent and the best at what they do. Also, I think it's hard to argue against the UFC's roster. But a few years ago Pride had the more talented roster and I think was far more entertaining to watch.

UFC does a much better job at managing talent and developing future stars than an organization like Strikeforce so they are ensuring a quality product for the future. I think what Strikeforce often does is questionable. Not to mention, UFC's marketing and influence is much stronger so as cliche as it may be, it would seem that if a fighter wants to really make a name for himself or fight the best then he'll have to fight in the UFC. So it would seem that the best fighters will/should inevitably head to the UFC one day.

I wish they still had Pride. The beef I have with UFC is that it makes the sport look like wrestling with the trash-talking and nu-metal playing.

It's a cool sport but most sports fans like boxing will think it's garbage. The dream MMA league has guys that look like bussines people. UFC on the other hand has guys that look like they are from high school.

UFC does mimic pro wrestling in many ways. I think they've really taken pro-wrestling's forumla and become successful. Also, I've always hated that "tough guy" music that UFC and the US Army seems to love.

In the 90's I was a fan of pro wrestling but lost interest many years ago, I got into watching MMA about a decade ago. In essence I think that the UFC has replaced WWF/WCW, and so people these days are turning to UFC for the same reasons that people tuned into pro wrestling back in the day.

Bottom line though, is that MMA despite being a sport, right now it is fight entertainment. Seriously, how many people including myself and others on UM, have complained about previous UFC events being boring? If it's only a sport, then we should recognize that their shouldn't be any emphasis on entertainment value if we like fighting as a sport, rather than a form of entertainment. But people will still complain about "boring" grappling matches in the UFC, and people generally would rather see a KO.

Yes, I agree but my point is that most people tune in to be entertained. You can say that about any sport too but in MMA, it's different. The fans would rather see entertaining KOs than the finer, more technical aspects of the sport like that of which you might see in a technical jiu-jitsu fight (which fans boo every single time it happens).

Even when GSP dominated Dan Hardy, much of the mma fanbase complained about GSP's performance because he didn't stop Hardy. Major lulz, I think MMA is a long ways away from when people place sport above fight entertainment.

UFC does mimic pro wrestling in many ways. I think they've really taken pro-wrestling's forumla and become successful. Also, I've always hated that "tough guy" music that UFC and the US Army seems to love.

In the 90's I was a fan of pro wrestling but lost interest many years ago, I got into watching MMA about a decade ago. In essence I think that the UFC has replaced WWF/WCW, and so people these days are turning to UFC for the same reasons that people tuned into pro wrestling back in the day.

Bottom line though, is that MMA despite being a sport, right now it is fight entertainment. Seriously, how many people including myself and others on UM, have complained about previous UFC events being boring? If it's only a sport, then we should recognize that their shouldn't be any emphasis on entertainment value if we like fighting as a sport, rather than a form of entertainment. But people will still complain about "boring" grappling matches in the UFC, and people generally would rather see a KO.

I wish they stop playing all of that tough guy music that was popular in 1999. I will check the other MMA leagues to see which is the one I like the most.

Basically, all the pro wrestling-like antics and promo doesn't really bother me. It's a formula that works to get people's attention and it's better to have more people watching, then no one.

I remember the days when there was zero MMA coverage on TV and UFC events weren't shown in pubs or anything. Even online, there was barely anything so it was really hard to keep up with what was going on. It really wasn't until The Ultimate Fighter show came along that it started gaining attention, and that was really capitalizing on the reality TV trends. Also, it wasn't even that long ago that people were still calling it "ultimate fighting."

Dream is probably the closest thing to Pride, but not too long ago they gave up the ring for a cage.

Yes, I agree but my point is that most people tune in to be entertained. You can say that about any sport too but in MMA, it's different. The fans would rather see entertaining KOs than the finer, more technical aspects of the sport like that of which you might see in a technical jiu-jitsu fight (which fans boo every single time it happens).

Even when GSP dominated Dan Hardy, much of the mma fanbase complained about GSP's performance because he didn't stop Hardy. Major lulz, I think MMA is a long ways away from when people place sport above fight entertainment.

Totally. I remember people hating the fuck out of Machida for pretty much ever because he was so "cowardly" (read: defensive) and rarely went for big shots unless he knew they were gonna land. Haven't kept up with it at all, didn't he get knocked out recently?

Totally. I remember people hating the fuck out of Machida for pretty much ever because he was so "cowardly" (read: defensive) and rarely went for big shots unless he knew they were gonna land. Haven't kept up with it at all, didn't he get knocked out recently?

Yes, I remember that. To be fair though, I can remember Tito Ortiz chasing Lyoto around during their fight. Some of his previous fights he was a bit reluctant to engage unless he was countering. People who didn't know he was a great fighter with potential didn't really like him, especially when his fights went the distance.

Then, he had a couple of big KO's and everyone creamed their pants at the idea of Lyoto as this invincible, impossible-to-solve karate guy, and "the most elusive fighter in mma history." The typical, what-have-you-done-for-me-lately syndrome that mma fans have and base their rationale almost entirely on.

And yes, Shogun did KO him recently in their rematch. In the previous fight Shogun won (in most people's opinion) but lost via controversial decision.

I didn't see it. I used to be a boxing fan, but haven't paid enough attention to boxing regularly, probably since Hopkins-Taylor. When Hopkins thought the judges were corrupt because he felt that he could still win a decision despite doing nothing for 7 of the 12 rounds. That must have been a few years ago. :p

Several servings of whey protein powder + either a little caffeine or a nitric oxide supplement = the closest thing to a real hangover cure that exists. I feel like I just invented the wheel. People need to know about this.