New Social Thread

Well I decided to make a complete lifestyle change and move out of New York City. I am moving to South Portland, Maine this summer and was actually looking for some advise from people who have been through this before.

My biggest problem is going to be finding a job without a degree. I'd like to find something that pays 10-15 dollars an hour but I understand that is going to be difficult. I would consider bar-tending but that is exactly what I'm trying to get away from. My toxic lifestyle is taking a toll and I really want to start healthy and fresh. I recently bought a truck and I'm ready to drive up and take on some job opportunities and interviews this weekend. I was actually considering working on a boat as a deckhand and learning how to lobster fish and whatnot.

I have saved up around 10,000 to do this and I feel like if I don't do it this year I never will. I'm going to be 28 this summer and it's time to find out what I'm actually capable of. Saving up and going back to school is my goal but I really need to start from the ground up...

I know you guys don't know me that well but any advise would be appreciated. Thx in advance.

That is a hell of a change! I have, unfortunately, no advice for the area or for jobs in that area - but I hope for the best :)

Seriously, good luck.

So is eating tasty treats or fucking hot sluts instead of reading but you've got to have some vices.

In my situation, I've been looking for a job for the past 2 days now. I hope I can get some work soon. My savings can only last so fukin long. I applied to mostly coffee shops and hotels. I'm hoping I can make somewhere from 12-17 bucks/hour somewhere. I can also speak some french which helps.

I was contacted by a summer program of UMaine that prepares disadvantaged students for college entry, which said they needed a Latin instructor. I applied a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything back yet. Can't say I have much competition here as I'm the only student at this university with an advanced level of Latin.

I really hope I get it because I have no other prospects for working this summer aside from working for that Swiss chef doing groundskeeping again.

What I'm wondering is how you went from N.Y State to Japan?

I mean I'm a bit nervous but compared to you I feel like bitch :p

Going somewhere by myself is really something I've never done before. I've never even left on vacation without another person. I know I'll be home sick and probably lonely for awhile, but that's part of the challenge.

If you ever feel like you want to hang out with an internet bro and feel like traveling for a couple hours/or feel like visiting more of Maine feel free to stop by my place

What I'm wondering is how you went from N.Y State to Japan?

I mean I'm a bit nervous but compared to you I feel like bitch :p

Going somewhere by myself is really something I've never done before. I've never even left on vacation without another person. I know I'll be home sick and probably lonely for awhile, but that's part of the challenge.

I applied for this job right after college graduation. It's part of a nationally funded, government-run program. There are a few thousand of us in Japan and we are coddled like babies, so it was hardly a huge challenge.

I love the thrill of a fresh start. I have NO IDEA what I'm going to do when I leave Japan in August but that prospect thrills me much more than terrifies me. You'll make an adventure of your move, and good stuff will just fall into your lap. Good luck banging Asian chicks in Maine though, lol!

ha, yeah, I think I'm staying away from women for awhile. A sort of subconscious abstinence. I'm seriously done with drinking and feeling like a cheap worthless whore.

I have this conception of catching and eating fish, beer and a considerable amount of reading. If this doesn't work out I'll put on some Agalloch and join the animals in the deep forest, heh.

They only come out in the night, like vampires, for the kimchi. Whiteness is like garlic to them though.

Fuck.

I finally got an email back from the Scion rock fest promoter, and was promptly denied. If it was any other paid event I would have expected to be outright denied since I am not attached to any magazine - since this was a free show however it kind of irked me a bit.

Doden's! Hire me as a photographer for The Heretic's Torch! That way I can grab pictures of Immolation, Agalloch, Anaal Nath, et al. for you to use when their next albums drop.

If I honestly felt I had any use for some sort of freelance live photography of more or less random bands I would totally help you out, but in all honesty, I can't think of anything that I have in the works that I could even use anything for. Any band that I am/have/plan to potentially interview either doesn't play live shows or hardly ever plays live shows and not in the US anyway, and I'm not really interested in doing or featuring show reviews.

ha, yeah, I think I'm staying away from women for awhile. A sort of subconscious abstinence. I'm seriously done with drinking and feeling like a cheap worthless whore.

I have this conception of catching and eating fish, beer and a considerable amount of reading. If this doesn't work out I'll put on some Agalloch and join the animals in the deep forest, heh.

That sounds really, really nice actually. A hermit pilgrimage or something. Maybe write a novel and grow a beard.