New Social Thread

I actually have been following Pat and whatshisname's discussion carefully, but was hesitant to say anything because I'm not grounded well enough in my (working) convictions on these matters. I'm with Pat on having faith (haha) in science, because it is a working definition of the dynamics and constitution of our universe. The laws of physics/nature are contingent only to this universe (we cannot yet prove that this is the only universe) and those laws formed randomly and evolved from primordial cosmic conditions, as did life on earth a few billion years ago.

Sure as an agnostic you can't prove there is or isn't another universe, but in logic you are never called upon to prove a negative. Zero does not exist. You do not need faith/belief (not knowing what is true) in reality because reality holds no contradictions. I'm not saying we know all there is to know but I am saying I'm conscious of what I do know (the self evident) and what I am continuing to learn. There is no room for hypotheticals inside the realm of reality, there either is ot there isnt and we work from that principle. I take that stand against any form of mysticism and the agnostic who takes no stand at all.

My epistemology is that we never 'get' anything, rather we 'are getting' it. We are always beneath Plato's divided line, in the realm of becoming, and our knowledge of reality is just as subject to temporality as the subjects of that knowledge. Any attempt to impose any element of absolutes or permanence is delusional, whether that be to posit the existence of God or to describe anything in language, which just like any theology is an attempt to impose order on chaos. Language evolves and so do the concepts it attempts to isolate outside of temporality.

Absolutes and permanence are two completely different things. Is gravity an absolute? Yes. is it permanent? No. There is no delusion there. To say we impose order onto chaos is completely subjective and false. The truth is reality imposes order onto us and we adapt to our condition.

I actually have been following Pat and whatshisname's discussion carefully, but was hesitant to say anything because I'm not grounded well enough in my (working) convictions on these matters. I'm with Pat on having faith (haha) in science, because it is a working definition of the dynamics and constitution of our universe. The laws of physics/nature are contingent only to this universe (we cannot yet prove that this is the only universe) and those laws formed randomly and evolved from primordial cosmic conditions, as did life on earth a few billion years ago.

My epistemology is that we never 'get' anything, rather we 'are getting' it. We are always beneath Plato's divided line, in the realm of becoming, and our knowledge of reality is just as subject to temporality as the subjects of that knowledge. Any attempt to impose any element of absolutes or permanence is delusional, whether that be to posit the existence of God or to describe anything in language, which just like any theology is an attempt to impose order on chaos. Language evolves and so do the concepts it attempts to isolate outside of temporality.

I think I agree with most of what you said. In The Order of Things, Foucault basically tries to show that throughout history, different eras are governed by different epistemes that dictate how humankind structures its knowledge about the world around it. There's a chapter on scientific classification that is very interesting.

Einherjar is right about this shit because I agree with him and his continual referencing of this Zizek guy keeps making me want to check him out.

Yeah, Žižek's cool. He's become kind of a "pop" philosopher in recent years, unfortunately. He does lots of work with movies and popular culture; but he's achieved such a high seat in the academic hierarchy that he can basically throw around complicated terminology, attributing it to whatever he pleases without substantiating his claims. His most recent works, such as Living in the End Times, are more sensationalist than anything.

For his most interesting and influential stuff, look into his earlier material. His book The Sublime Object of Ideology is both highly intellectual and was hugely influential. It put him on the map, and it's a great read.

His other good ones (that I've checked out) are Welcome to the Desert of the Real (his critique of the political reaction to 9/11), and First As Tragedy, Then As Farce.

To say we impose order onto chaos is completely subjective and false. The truth is reality imposes order onto us and we adapt to our condition.

I'm not that familiar with analytic philosophy, but you sound like you walked straight out of their camp.

I have to emphatically disagree with your above comments. I think that we biologically adapt/evolve to our surroundings, but our application of language to nature, the attempt to account for the universe mathematically, the entire system of Linnaean classification; none of these are forms of us adapting to our surroundings. They are blatant impositions upon an inhuman realm.

I'm not that familiar with analytic philosophy, but you sound like you walked straight out of their camp.

I have to emphatically disagree with your above comments. I think that we biologically adapt/evolve to our surroundings, but our application of language to nature, the attempt to account for the universe mathematically, the entire system of Linnaean classification; none of these are forms of us adapting to our surroundings. They are blatant impositions upon an inhuman realm.

How exactly do these things impose on the "inhuman realm"?

How exactly do these things impose on the "inhuman realm"?

Bear in mind that I'm not taking a moral stance against classification or any of the human sciences. I'm merely suggesting what I think is an inherent trait that causes most people to view the process of acquiring knowledge erroneously.

They impose upon the inhuman realm because they attempt to put things (things that existed long before speaking humans) into an order by means of a human conception of knowledge and language that ultimately falls short. When modern peoples understand the word "arbor" to signify "tree" (which still isn't the actual thing but merely a representation), what they understand is a word steeped in thousands of years of linguistic evolution and scientific appropriation. This history has nothing to do with the actual existing trees that stand outside my window, or the trees in the Black Forest.

I realize that we have no other choice; as signifying creatures, this is just how we understand the world. But I think most people take it for granted that our epistemological practices actually get at the way the world really works. By classifying whole species of wild animals and plants into catalogues using the Linnaean system, we understand things as they exist for us (otherwise, why would we feel the need to put them in museums and zoos?). We don't understand things as they really are.

The best example (which is deployed as satire, but painfully close to the point) is Herman Melville's humorous description of the whale (in general):

"The whale is a spouting fish with a horizontal tail."

This is the process of Linnaean classification; narrowing a creature down to its fewest unique attributes to make it easier to identify. Of course, science has moved beyond this mode of acquiring knowledge; but we still retain the names given to animals/plants by Linnaeus, and we still can only understand things through the ways in which our language works.

You didn't really answer my question, or we have different definitions of "impose". How do our classifications have any real impact on what the creature(s) we call whales are or do? It is merely an arbitrary, abstract thing.

Point taken. Our classifications have an impact on how we perceive what whales do and are. In a way, I still see this as an imposition because it forces upon nature an order that we in turn expect it to conform to. It's more appropriate (I think) to understand that nature doesn't really give a damn about us; it doesn't give a damn at all. There is no "it."

Fuck this thread.

oh+no+you+didn%27t.jpg

Point taken. Our classifications have an impact on how we perceive what whales do and are. In a way, I still see this as an imposition because it forces upon nature an order that we in turn expect it to conform to. It's more appropriate (I think) to understand that nature doesn't really give a damn about us; it doesn't give a damn at all. There is no "it."

I disagree. Regardless of how we expect nature to conform to our ideas, classifications, and expectations, it does exactly as it does, because it neither knows, cares, nor is affected by them.

There is, however, an "it", and it rejoices or languishes under our actions as we seek to bend reality around us. Whether or not we classify a white tail deer as such, or as Odocoileus virginianus matters not to the deer nor affects it. Whether we decide it is food though, and treat it as such does render affect, and we do not even need language or structured thought to do so.

Our aspiring to ever higher plateaus of intellectualism are mostly vanity in the grand scheme of things, and we really do hold our mental faculties in much higher regard than does the the whole of this universe, as the universe is quite decidedly oblivious to us, which is as much a statement to our falling short as anything.