New Social Thread

So I'm pretty sure I'm flying to Chicago in late August to stay with my cousin and rent a car for the day to drive out to Iowa City to visit the University of Iowa, a prospective grad school. I'd love to meet up with any UMers in the area such as Pat and Chris.

Damn it, I'm not going to be here anymore. I'm moving in with my girlfriend, who is currently the breadwinner of our relationship. Sorry dude, that would be awesome! And I never got to meet up with Chris my whole time I was out here. We tried a couple times to coordinate, but one of us always couldn't make it.

If for some reason my plans change so that I'm still here I'll let you know.

So I just got up and paced around my house for about 45 minutes lecturing to an imaginary audience my views on reality. It felt so awesome. I'm going mad and I love it.

Sometimes I go on long rants when I'm alone, yelling at people that aren't actually there. :/ I dunno why.

I spent a couple minutes cursing myself for not recording myself the whole time. All I know is that what I said I already had in my mind. It was just the first time I could really synthesize it in speech.

For the problem is that by putting things into speech, especially recorded speech or the written word, you are freezing it into language, and that is already contrary to reality since reality is always in a state of flux. Language is our feeble attempt to impose order onto chaos.

I spent a couple minutes cursing myself for not recording myself the whole time. All I know is that what I said I already had in my mind. It was just the first time I could really synthesize it in speech.

For the problem is that by putting things into speech, especially recorded speech or the written word, you are freezing it into language, and that is already contrary to reality since reality is always in a state of flux. Language is our feeble attempt to impose chaos onto order.

Order onto chaos, I take you to mean.

Have you ever read Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian? It's a central theme of that text.

Fixed. Dammit.

I read Machiavelli and Nietzsche to tell me about what I think. Is that McCarthy another of your fantasy novels?

:lol: No.

It's my favorite novel. It's a fictional account of historical events that took place on the Texas-Mexico border in the 19th century. Basically it's about the Glanton Gang, a scalping party commissioned by the Mexican government to hunt and kill natives. Eventually they just begin killing whomever they wish.

The novel is fundamentally concerned with what I like to call frontier anxiety (a term coined by a friend of mine), the inherent violence of expansionism, not only physically against people and nature, but against the understanding of the world. Judge Holden (whom Harold Bloom calls the most terrifying figure in all American literature) keeps a ledger in which he documents objects and animals. His process of linguistic representation is exactly what you describe; an imposition of order onto that which can't really be contained by scientific classification methods. After he records the objects, he destroys them. It's a fantastic book and has the best conclusion I've ever read.

The notion that nature can be calculated, inevitably leads to the conclusion that humans too can be reduced to basic mechanical parts.

Sounds like strict Determinism to me. Sure every entity has an identity and therefore an action but the fact that were not inanimate objects and or animals ( biology & environment) and are volitional beings conscious of our identity destroys that theory. Sounds like a fun read tho.

Man I would have loved to be a fly on the wall.

Do you think in terms of chaos zeph? or order as an illusion?

There are laws of physics (post-big-bang whatever existed adapted to some order) and nature that evolved to their current state, and the physical laws will remain, but all of reality is subject to change....and something so insignificant as human civilization, values, language all the more so.