New Social Thread

Very true. It's the vast minority of civilizations that spring up with no neighbors. The only permanent settlement I can think of that was rather isolated in its time is Çatalhöyük.

If anyone is planning on having children, bet all of your friends $500 that the child will have a birth defect. That way if the child is born with a defect you still get $500. It's really the only right thing to do.

But if it doesn't, you've got to pay up, and the odds are pretty low it will actually have a defect, which means you'll have to pay.

Where's the logic?

It's easy to see how cultural 'accomplishments' (or the supposed lack thereof) have come about if you look at a culture's geographical proximity in relation to other cultures. Take the Romans and remove them from the Greeks and the Etruscans, put them in a vacuum, and they're no different from your average Papua New Guinean tribe. It's obviously all about exposure versus isolation.

Pretty much. Being situated at a river crossing on the flat plain of Latium made Rome very vulnerable, and it needed to be militaristic and diplomatically cunning in order to survive in that environment. Once it became dominant in a confederation of the Latin city-states, the more mass it accreted to itself, the greater its gravitational pull. The fact that the Romans willingly extended citizenship to other city-states and adopted elements of conquered cultures certainly helped accelerate the process.

So you assume the people on this forum that will have a kid will also only have one friend?

Yes. Forgot to add the "at least". :Smokin:

If you lose the bet you have to pay the friends you bet, but at least your child is healthy. It's a kind of insurance.
It really depends on how lucky you think you are.

:Spin:

Zeph, I have a question about history I don't have enough knowledge about the Romans to answer. I remember reading in the gospel of Judas that Judas didn't mean for Jesus to be captured and executed, but to be taken into protective custody by the Romans. Would the Romans have actually done that?

The Romans did whatever was necessary to keep the peace. If you take the synoptic gospels, for instance, the Romans only executed him because they feared a riot by the Jewish masses if they didn't.

Zeph, I have a question about history I don't have enough knowledge about the Romans to answer. I remember reading in the gospel of Judas that Judas didn't mean for Jesus to be captured and executed, but to be taken into protective custody by the Romans. Would the Romans have actually done that?

Based on the synoptic gospels that doesn't make much sense. He received a bribe and turned him over to the Pharisees. Not the Romans. Jesus also told him he was betraying him beforehand.

Well, my question was based on the gospel of Judas, which gives quite a different account of everything.

played bass for my buddies punk band lastnight. Was fun.
played most of the leads I wrote for guitar on the bass. Good stuff.
after the show, the guitarist that replaced me got his guitar stolen out of his car. Window got busted out.
And the bassist from the band before us got his bass and phone stolen out of his car.
Goddamn I hate thieves!

Very true. It's the vast minority of civilizations that spring up with no neighbors. The only permanent settlement I can think of that was rather isolated in its time is Çatalhöyük.

One of the archeologists who works on that site came and spoke while I was at UChicago. It was a conference called "Lives of Things," so she spoke a lot about specific artifacts/objects they've discovered at the dig. It was really interesting.

No, unfortunately; her lecture didn't concern itself with origins as much as with artifacts and their potential purpose.

She showed slides of examples of artifacts they've discovered, and speculated as to what some of them might have been used for. Furthermore, and of interest to several researchers, they've found massive pits filled with artifacts that were (seemingly) tossed carelessly about, and crudely made. They don't exhibit much skill or craftsmanship in their design and execution, which has led some scholars to conclude that this was a popular, public practice, rather than work reserved for skilled artisans.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/29245924/detail.html

Police are investigating a shooting in Fairfield.

The shooting was reported about 2 p.m. at the Camelot Apartments on Sherwood Drive.

Fairfield police said officers found a man with gunshot wounds. Officers said they believe the shooting happened in a doorway or hallway at the apartments.

The victim was taken to a hospital with serious injuries. His identity was not released.

Police at the scene told WLWT that one person was taken into custody at the Timber Hollow Apartments, which is about a half mile from the scene of the shooting. Officers said they were looking for a second person in connection with the shooting.

Deputies from the Butler County Sheriff's Office were also at the apartment building investigating.

This is where I live. If you go to the website, there is a video of where it happened and I can see that building from my deck.

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I've got way too much shit going on soon. Going to a WITTR show downtown (ugh), helping two seperate sets of couplefriends move in together, work 40 hours, drive 8 hours, all within the next week. 8 months ago my schedule would be... sleep, maybe eat something, do stuff, take a nap, eat something, stuff, sleep.

I miss the good ole days.