New Social Thread

This is already unlike any surgery I've ever had before.

Cardiovascular surgery has really advanced, especially in that they can do non/minimally-invasive procedures that not too long ago used to involve major cut-you-open methods. My father went into Mass General in Boston a couple years ago for surgery on his heart. But rather than cutting him open they inserted a fibre-optic cable into an artery IN HIS LEG which worked its way up to the heart and attended to the issue successfully.

Their apparently insouciant attitude should be reassuring in this light. Nevertheless, my best wishes to you, Pat.

Well, it's protocol to avoid eating or drinking twelve hours or so before a surgery in which they put you under. Since your normal bodily functions are being debilitated, you run the risk of regurgitating anything in your stomach and choking on it.

So my logic dictates that I'm not being put under, but only having my leg numbed.

EDIT: also, thanks for all your wishes guys, I appreciate it.

Haha, indeed.

Well, it's done. It was far less invasive and time-consuming than I'd anticipated. I was in the room for ten minutes. They numbed my leg, then went in with a laser and performed the operation.

The problem I've been having is that my leg muscles were seizing up. Apparently, this was being caused by a faulty valve that was obstructing blood flow. Regardless of whether this valve was the cause, it's something I needed to fix because it could lead to varicose veins in the future. Hopefully it solves the other issue too.

Haha, Zeph.

I'm become really excited to become a father. Went out looking at cribs this week and didn't like any of them, so I stopped at Home Depot, bought some lumber, and now my neighbor and I are going to put one together. He's a finishing carpenter/cabinet maker so it should be a cinch.

Edit: On an unrelated, sad note, found out that another guy who served in the same company I served most of my time with took his own life. That's about 4 guys I know from Army that I served with that have taken their own lives over the past couple of years.

But, yea, VA keeps ignoring mental health issues.

On an unrelated, sad note, found out that another guy who served in the same company I served most of my time with took his own life. That's about 4 guys I know from Army that I served with that have taken their own lives over the past couple of years.

But, yea, VA keeps ignoring mental health issues.

Fucked up.

I have something wrong with my ear and I don't really know how to explain it. It sounds like there's a constant wind blowing in my ear. It's giving me a headache and making me feel nauseous and imbalanced.

Bleh, i think i've just about lost motivation to explore austin. Part of it's that i'm staying >5 miles from downtown and using the buses is a pain, but also i just tend to enjoy being at home and doin my thing more than about anything else.

Really though, if i'm out traveling i should be meeting people. So i think for future trips i'll improve on my transportation options and use the powers of the internet (couchsurfing, meetup, local event sites, etc) to guide me around.

It may also make sense to stick to traveling places where i already know people, as that seems more likely to be cool & rad.