New Social Thread

My Grandmother is my only surviving grandparent. She's 98. Still solid as a rock mentally. Her sight is pretty bad these days though.

Nice, good to hear. I only have one grandfather alive (dad's side). He just turned 92 and is still as funny and sharp as I remember as a kid. Fucking love that guy.

To all the language nerds:

I'm taking two intro level immersion courses in German, one this first half of summer, another the second half. My question is, aside from basically being force fed the language, what types of tips/tricks do you guys use/know of for retention? Obviously time, practice, and studying will do most of the work, but I want to know if you guys have any off the wall ideas.

I try talking to myself in the language as much as I can. I start with substituting English words for words in the language, but as I get a better grasp of vocabulary and grammar, it becomes less English and more the other language.

Instead of just finding one or two people online you should look up some German language forums for topics (outside of the language) that interest you, and blabber on as much as possible. This is a good way to grind into the language, since you're exposed to different styles of discourse and will have conversations for the sake of more than just conversation itself, which leads to you becoming more invested and more motivated to get better.

I'm taking two intro level immersion courses in German, one this first half of summer, another the second half. My question is, aside from basically being force fed the language, what types of tips/tricks do you guys use/know of for retention? Obviously time, practice, and studying will do most of the work, but I want to know if you guys have any off the wall ideas.

Date a German girl.

I have a question for frequent forum-goers/moderators/administrators:

I don't post on many forums. In fact, this is really the only one; but I recently tried to register on another forum dedicated to one of my favorite author's work. Actually, I did register... twice (two different usernames and emails); but for some reason the same thing happened to me both times: I have no authority to access threads, no authority to contact any other members, and no authority... for anything, basically. It welcomes me, it lets me see my own profile, but won't let me read any posts or, therefore, reply.

Is there some kind of "waiting" period on forums where administrators have to clear your registration, or something? I already tried contacting a moderator a few days ago, and haven't heard anything back.

I actually tried to remember if there was one when I registered here, but it was a while ago... I don't think there was.

I'll send another email if I don't hear back by the end of the day.

It's a very new forum, just created in the past week or so (I think), so maybe they're still figuring their shit out.

In other news: I abstained for a very long time, but have given in and started my own blog. So now there's yet another pretentious, pseudo-intellectual wanker on the internet shouting his ideas at everyone (I hope all my other blogging colleagues take that as a compliment). Anyway, I'm putting the link in my signature. At the moment there's only one introductory post. For those who bother to continue checking it, my thanks and I hope you enjoy it.

I've been trying to catch up on my blog today. With school starting I expect to have more time/material for it.

@Jimmy: There's now a link to it through the UM "homepage" option in the dropdown menu from my name.

So yesterday Grant, Kevin, myself and a few of my other friends hiked Mount Katahdin, the tallest mountain in Maine, which at about a mile above sea-level is by far the tallest mountain I've ever hiked. It was intense. We hiked up one trail that started out nice and forested then quickly turned into a 50-degree sheer ascent, climbing boulders and really having to push ourselves and persevere, but we made it to the top of the trail (not to the highest peak but close enough), well above the tree-line. We took a different trail down along a rocky ridge and many more boulders. The views were amazing, and Grant took some pictures which I'm sure he'll post here soon.

I say we hiked about 10 miles in 10 hours, and right now I'm pretty sore but not as much as I dreaded.