new to metal need some guidance

albaraa

New Metal Member
Nov 15, 2016
Qatar Doha
hello
my name is albaraa i am from qatar first i would like to apologize for the long thread and my bad english
so i grow up in Doha/qatar its a small country in the middle east so growing up like any kid u hear about new music and songs from the radio and tv and your friends(early 2000s) but the problem is growing up no one was listening to metal but everyone was playing rap music i didnt know about rock music until few years ago when i listened to linkin park on tv so i got all the albums that was out that time and then after that i listened to Disturbed and i hooked but at that time the problem was my english wasnt good enough for me to research it on the internet and know what to listen to and no one around knew anything about rock so up until recently i was buying albums randomly so far i listened to
linkin park(all albums)
Disturbed(all albums)
Device(one album)
Breaking Benjamin(all albums)
Wintersun(both albums)
System Of A Down(all albums)
korn(all albums)
Black Sabbath(the first two albums)
normally i listen by albums and i dont move to the next one unless i play it 20 times also i might not know the most famous bands like 50cent in rap also i dont have a type i want to listen to all types out there so i am planning to listen to metallica after i listen to korn i heard they are good so what u guys think and pls guide me coz i know nothing about the history of metal but i am i would love to get into it and if u guys can help i would really grateful

thank you so much

Last edited:
Reactions: nizzon
My recommendations will have a lot of classic stuff just to get you started. I'm sure once everyone else pitches in, you'll have a fairly interesting list to look forward to, friend.

Black Sabbath: S/T, Paranoid, Master of Reality, Sabotage, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Heaven and Hell
Metallica: Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All
Megadeth: Rust in Peace, Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?
Iron Maiden: S/T, Killers, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, Piece of Mind
Mercyful Fate: Melissa, Don't Break the Oath
King Diamond: Fatal Portrait, Them, Abigail
Judas Priest: Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, Painkiller, Defenders of the Faith, Stained Class
Saxon: Denim & Leather, Wheels of Steel, Strong Arm of the Law, Lionheart
Diamond Head: Lightning to the Nations
Candlemass: Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, Nightfall, Tales of Creation, Ancient Dreams
Cirith Ungol: King of the Dead, Frost and Fire, One Foot in Hell, Paradise Lost
Opeth: Orchid, Morningrise, My Arms Your Hearse, Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries
Dissection: Storm of the Light's Bane, The Somberlain
Sacramentum: Far Away from the Sun, Finis Malorum
Insomnium: Winter's Gate, Shadows of the Dying Sun
Dark Tranquility: The Gallery, The Mind's I, Damage Done, Fiction, Character
Vinterland: Welcome to My Last Chapter
Katatonia: Dance for December Souls, Brave Murder Day, Discouraged Ones
Edge of Sanity: Purgatory Afterglow, Crimson I&II
At the Gates: The Red in the Sky is Ours

I could add more but I'll stop there to let anyone else put some recommendations in.

Last edited:
Start with some of the foundational albums from foundational bands:
Black Sabbath- Paranoid
Judas Priest- Sad Wings of Destiny
Motorhead- Ace of Spades
Dio- Holy Diver
Iron Maiden- Number of the Beast
Metallica- Master of Puppets
Slayer- Reign in Blood
Megadeth- Rust in Peace

If you want to try out some sub-genres

Death Metal:
Death-Leprosy
Incantation- Mortal Throne of Nazarene

Black Metal:
Burzum- Hvis lyset tar oss
Darkthrone- Transilvanian Hunger

Doom Metal:
Candlemass- Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
My Dying Bride- Turn Loose the Swans

Power Metal:
Blind Guardian- Imaginations from the Other Side
Helloween- Keeper of the Seven Keys pt. 2

Prog Metal:
Opeth- Still Life
Dream Theater- Images and Words

Rainbow - Rising
Motörhead - Overkill
Venom - Black Metal
Manowar - Hail to England
Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction

Some notable albums that are pretty easy to enjoy from bands which haven't been mentioned in this thread yet.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
@albaraa dude take my path into metal instead lol

As I laying dying - shadows are security
Killswitch engage - end of heartache
Behemoth - Zos Kia cultus
Bloodbath - resurrection through carnage
Within temptation - the heart of everything
Nightwish - Century child

There's quite a bit of good on your list, but there were puzzling omissions of certain albums in favor of other debatably less essential albums by the same bands. You also put a lot of stuff that I don't listen to on there, so I'll leave that for someone else who knows those bands to make that call.

classic recs (with bonus recs from this century)

Traditional:
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Dio - Holy Diver
Motorhead - Overkill
(Spellcaster - Spellcaster)

Thrash:
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Slayer - Reign In Blood
(Havok - Time Is Up)

Death:
Death - Symbolic
Obituary - Slowly We Rot
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
(Skeletal Remains - Condemned to Misery)

Doom:
Trouble - Trouble
Candlemass - Nightfall
Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics
(Avatarium - Avatarium)

Progressive:
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Adagio - Sanctus Ignis
Spastic Ink - Ink Complete
(Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I)

Power:
Jag Panzer - Thane to the Throne
Yngwie Malmsteen - Trilogy
Symphony X - Divine Wings of Tragedy
(Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane)

Black:
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun
Windir - 1184
(Xanthochroid - Blessed He with Boils)

too long; don't care

For personal reasons, I'll recommend these albums that pushed me over the edge and into underground metal sounds. Everybody else's recommendations in here are killer.

e93c76e57fe75416c9ce7f9e5274b029.jpg

01EBTL.jpg

under-a-funeral-moon1.jpg

There's quite a bit of good on your list, but there were puzzling omissions of certain albums in favor of other debatably less essential albums by the same bands. You also put a lot of stuff that I don't listen to on there, so I'll leave that for someone else who knows those bands to make that call.
Such as? I'm just curious.

You skipped two of the first four Black Sabbath albums, but you included Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage in the list. I'd also say that there's also no way that Heaven and Hell is better than those albums, but I could see why someone would include it in a recommendation post.

You also included Paradise Lost over One Foot in Hell even though it's obviously the least good Cirith Ungol album. I still like it and it has some definite high points, but it also contains a few songs that are easily the worst on any of their albums.

You skipped two of the first four Black Sabbath albums, but you included Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage in the list. I'd also say that there's also no way that Heaven and Hell is better than those albums, but I could see why someone would include it in a recommendation post.
I forgot to include Paranoid. Although, I thought I'd replace Vol. 4 with Heaven and Hell because I'd thought I could include a Dio Sabbath album in there. This is due to my opinion that Vol. 4 is rather uneven compared to the other albums listed from the Ozzy era.

You also included Paradise Lost over One Foot in Hell even though it's obviously the least good Cirith Ungol album. I still like it and it has some definite high points, but it also contains a few songs that are easily the worst on any of their albums.
I knew I was forgetting something. :tickled:

hello
my name is albaraa i am from qatar first i would like to apologize for the long thread and my bad english
so i grow up in Doha/qatar its a small country in the middle east so growing up like any kid u hear about new music and songs from the radio and tv and your friends(early 2000s) but the problem is growing up no one was listening to metal but everyone was playing rap music i didnt know about rock music until few years ago when i listened to linkin park on tv so i got all the albums that was out that time and then after that i listened to Disturbed and i hooked but at that time the problem was my english wasnt good enough for me to research it on the internet and know what to listen to and no one around knew anything about rock so up until recently i was buying albums randomly so far i listened to
linkin park(all albums)
Disturbed(all albums)
Device(one album)
Breaking Benjamin(all albums)
Wintersun(both albums)
System Of A Down(all albums)
korn(on the fifth album)
normally i listen by albums and i dont move to the next one unless i play it 20 times also i might not know the most famous bands like 50cent in rap also i dont have a type i want to listen to all types out there so i am planning to listen to metallica after i listen to korn i heard they are good so what u guys think and pls guide me coz i know nothing about the history of metal but i am i would love to get into it and if u guys can help i would really grateful

thank you so much

Hello albaraa, good to see you here. One suggestion I'll make is read the Wikipedia article on Heavy Metal. You'll come across loads of bands there covering the history of Metal. If you have the patience and interest listen to all of the group's there and you can find out which bands you like. Most of those bands' recordings are available on YouTube so you can listen to them for free. Happy listening.

Sabotage, SBS and H&H are all significantly better than Vol. 4. So is Mob Rules. Skipping Vol. 4 and coming back to it later was a very good rec. Too much filler and down time.