next katatonia album

Something new and challenging.

Less melodies and choruses. They ofcourse have many, many great choruses, but it would be interesting to see what they could do without them in some songs.

:lol: how many times have we had this exact same discussion now?

Anyhow...more dynamics, more melodic leads, more atmospheric sounds with keybaords, and bring back the huge choruses! I'll stfu now!

I agree. The choruses in Tonight's Music, Sweet Nurse, Strained, For My Demons, Deadhouse, Saw You Drown, Cold Ways... And some melodic guitar leads here and there couldn't hurt. But we'll see. TGCD was perfect. And they had great choruses. Deliberation, My Twin, July. Huge. And melodic leads just not as prevalent.

Hello! I'm new here...

I would like to hear some songs similar to unfurl, and I like the sound on TGCD so if the new album would have same kind of production etc., I would be pleased. On the contrary it would be cool to hear some screams/growls by Nyström or even Renkse (I've heard some rumours). Also there could be more "heavier" parts like for example in July or Leaders. I don't want them to make Anathema on us!

On the contrary it would be cool to hear some screams/growls by Nyström or even Renkse (I've heard some rumours).
Rumours actually based on something?

I've seen a lot of weird "logical" guessing on this forum that the Renkse-screams would return.

IMO it's bullshit.
As far as I know the "rumors" are based on Katatonia playing an old unclean song every set and the one growl mr. Renkse did for Ayreon's new album.
So it's not based on a statement by the band or a member or anything near official info at all.
I'm no representative of the band or anything, but I guess they do that just to please the old doom-metal-kinda-stuff-fans.
Cause obviously there's a lot of people really liking that stuff.
But I can't imagine them playing those songs as hint like: ooh we're doing this as a preview to the new album that'll be trve old black metal.
So I'd say, don't get your hopes up too high

You don't sound like a fan of DODS...poor you.

But yeah, they won't do it, so just sit back and wait for the album. Chew some skin or beat some bushes while you wait.

I can see them using some growls on the album but not as a main vocal style, just some background stuff or maby a sentance here and there.

Id like the new Katatonia album to sound something like, Lost to the living by Daylight Dies, or Hope by Swallow the sun.

I.E. a balance of heavy and tranquil, and brutal growls and singing, also, as a side note, Id like to thank Daylight Dies and Swallow the sun, for making such amazing music, and helping to tide me over til the next Katatonia or My Dying Bride albums

ummmm

Doesn't it seem like a lot of bands are going that direction any more?

Plus, Katatonia aren't Doom/Death are they?

ummmm

Doesn't it seem like a lot of bands are going that direction any more?

Plus, Katatonia aren't Doom/Death are they?

they arent, but ive always thought to myself, if katatonia kept going the way they were going with dance of december souls etc, they would probably sound like daylight dies or swallow the sun these days.
which is never a bad thing....
i also really love Jonas guest vocals on swallow the suns recent album, he's lending his voice out alot recently :-D