NFL 2012

I also read it, and it is has plenty of its own critical issues, for those who still care.

First, Florio takes words that the NFL uses and applies his own interpretations of what they mean (namely "control" and "possession"), and second, Jennings did not "control" the ball immediately in the air, as it was being bobbled. Jennings initially attempted to catch the ball with his wrists, and both players continued to bobble it until Tate was already on the ground and was re-committing his right hand onto the ball. Florio also fails to note that it's not simply gaining control first; it's gaining control first and maintaining control, which Jennings did not do. I took screen caps of the transition of the ball in the players' hands while in the air as well, but I'll only upload them upon request. I still stand behind what I wrote completely. Florio is not always to be trusted (granted, neither is the NFL. But they make and manipulate the rules, so the ruling would be correct in hindsight regardless, since they have the wiggle room in the ambiguity of the rules and the subjectivity of human evaluation to make it so. There's also precedent to fall back on. See the Miles Austin/Antonio Cromartie simultaneous catch from last year.

James Harrison practiced fully on Tuesday for the first time all year, but it appears that he's suffered yet another setback with his knee. He didn't practice at all yesterday and his agent today acknowledged the setback. Presumably his knee swelled up again. This honestly isn't looking good at all. At this point I have no idea when he's going to play again. Although his agent expressed at least some degree of optimism, referring to it as "a little setback" and saying that "hopefully, it's not something that will derail our plans", but I don't feel comfortable putting much stock in his agent's comments on his knee.

On the other hand, Troy Polamalu has been practicing fully this week and it seems like he should be ready to go week 5 after their bye week. Which is good, because the team has definitely suffered with Ryan Mundy. I think it's time for the Steelers to accept that Mundy is not an heir apparent to Polamalu nor Ryan Clark. Safety should be one of their top priorities in the next draft in addition to linebacker, and maybe a top flight cornerback if one falls to them.

I also think that Rashard Mendenhall will be back for week 5. He's actually been practicing fully for a while now. Adrian Peterson's been playing all season, and he tore his ACL (and came off the PUP list) only a week earlier than Mendenhall. I honestly don't know how much that will help the run game though, because the main issue has been poor blocking and not the running backs themselves. Although the runs to the outside that they kept trying with Isaac Redman for some reason should certain work better with Mendenhall. Maybe then Redman can return to the north-south runner that he is.

Damn, that was a crazy game between the Eagles and Giants. Both coaches made a really stupid decision at the end of the game. For the Giants, I don't get why Coughlin didn't allow Manning to try a short pass to the outside. Eli is a smart QB and knows how to get rid of the ball if no one is open with a good chance of getting out of bounds. Even a five yard rout might have been the difference between a win and a loss.

As for the Eagles, Reid's icing the kicker move might have been the dumbest thing ever. Why do coaches keep doing this? I know it worked for Shanahan and a few other coaches in 2007 when this whole "call the timeout a millisecond before they snap it" thing started, but these days it seems to blow up in coaches faces more often than it pays off. It gives the kicker a practice attempt and helps them get in rhythm. And in fact Tynes's second kick was much more accurate than the first one.

Anyway a really exciting old school NFC East game. Could have gone either way, but the Eagles made just a few more plays.

Couldn't agree with you more. Lawrence Tynes has never kicked a 54 yarder in his career, yet he can't trust his 2 time Super Bowl MVP quarterback to try to get 5 yards and get out of bounds in 15 seconds? BUT he went to the air on a 4th and 1 at the end of the 3rd quarter? It makes no sense. And I wouldn't be surprised to read a study showing that icing has backfired as often as it has worked.

Couldn't agree with you more. Lawrence Tynes has never kicked a 54 yarder in his career, yet he can't trust his 2 time Super Bowl MVP quarterback to try to get 5 yards and get out of bounds in 15 seconds? BUT he went to the air on a 4th and 1 at the end of the 3rd quarter? It makes no sense. And I wouldn't be surprised to read a study showing that icing has backfired as often as it has worked.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704129204575506112194098670.html

This article is based on data from 2000-2010, but suggests that kickers do slightly better after being iced than they do when kicking game-deciding kicks without being iced. I wouldn't imagine much has changed in the last two years.

Ha, as I said, not surprised at all. I still remember years ago when David Akers was interviewed after being iced and saying that he doesn't mind it at all because it just gives him more time to mentally prepare himself.

Too much can go wrong trying to get those extra five yards. Another player making a mistake and getting tackled in bounds, a blind side sack, a forced INT etc. Kicking the field goal was the right call.

In my opinion it's too risky a call for such a low percentage play. Tynes had the distance the first kick but when he got a second chance he let up for accuracy. We had a shot, we missed.

I don't see how it's riskier to ask a supposedly elite quarterback to execute a 5 yard pass to the sideline than it is to ask a kicker to make a kick further than he has in his professional career. We could go back and forth on this though with no answer, so let's just leave it at that.

At this point, I feel bad for Romo.

Never seen a 3 pick game where you can't really blame any of them on the QB.

Witten's case of the dropsies seems to have jumped off him and hit Ogletree and Bryant.

Edit: Aaaand one on Romo.

The positive note tonight has been the much improved play of the oline. I feel better about this incoming loss than last weeks win.

Personally I trust Manning to throw the short route to the outside. As an Eagles fan, I was relieved when I saw Tynes trotting out onto the field on 3rd down. The difference between a 54 yard field goal and a 49 yard field goal is huge.

Totally agree on the Bryant-Edwards comparison. Just a stupid and undisciplined player.

Yeah, really good all-around game for the Bears, though it was much aided by a ton of mistakes by Dallas. I'd still probably blame three of those interceptions on Romo, but he wasn't getting much help, and QBs have to force it when trailing by 3 scores in the 4th.

The NFC is is really interesting this year. I'd expect GB, CHI, NYG, ATL, SF, and probably Arizona to make it. If Washington didn't have so many injuries I'd give them a chance. I'm not sold on Philly or Dallas.

I know some people will blame that shovel pass on him, I don't think you can blame the QB for having the pass knocked off target by a hit mid throw. If QBs had to worry about that they would never throw under pressure. he last two throws were just thrown with a prayer. Gruden suggested the pick targeted to Austin (pick 4) was a bad route by Austin but still, bad throw.

The Dallas D is much improved over last year, and that's even playing currently without half of their starters. The oline is/was a question. I think Cook is playing better than Costa was, and last night Romo had a lot more time to throw than in the previous three games, against a Bears team that was expecting to feast on the oline.

Ogletree and Bryant are not consistent. Romo kept trying to feed Bryant last night, and he only caught like half of his targets, and one of the targets turned into a pick-6. It doesn't matter if you can make a highlight reel catch if you can't make a route adjustment or catch a simple 3rd and 2 slant in in the hands.

One thing that did stick out was the two seam pattern misses, one to Bryant and one to Austin. Similar to the pass missed against the Giants last year. That is looking like the pass Romo has trouble with, the medium seam route.

I'm not sold on any team in the NFC East, and I'm not yet sold on the Cards or the Bears. ATL and SF are the only teams looking remotely dominant. MIN is an enigma.

Edit: I think it's funny very little media space was spent on Cutler's (worse imo) 4 INT performance just two weeks ago, instead focusing on his outbursts. The Bears-Packers game and Bears-Cowboys game were somewhat symbiotic.

How about the Texans?

I don't really care about the AFC at all. But yeah, Texans vs Falcons would be a pretty good matchup the way things look now.

Going back to the Dallas Oline,they went from being the most penalized group in the league to having zero penalties against the Bears and only giving up (2?) sacks . Witten fixed drop issues, where-ever those came from. I've never been sold on Ogletree, even after the Giants game. He's had a long time to put it together and now he's getting the job nearly by default, and I'm just not seeing it.

Graziano said Dallas was only missing 3 defensive starters, not 5-6. Ratliff, Spencer, Church, Coleman, and then Carter went out during the game, and Sensabaugh was limited. ESPN bloggers lrn2count.

Lee is rapidly gaining on Ware as their best defensive player. Ware might be a nightmare for QBs, but Lee is a nightmare for everyone else.

Every time a Cowboy game is on T.V or playing the Giants.. my Father (a huge Giants fan) calls me up and says "why couldn't we get that guy!" or "do you see this guy Lee!"