NFL 2012

Referees throw their hats to indicate a penalty when they've already thrown their flag or can't get it out fast enough or whatever. My Rewind isn't accessible while MNF is on so I can't review the exact context right now, but it'd be helpful if you can tell me when during the game it happened.

It happened while the Cowboys were in the redzone with just over three minutes left in the second quarter. The refs throw their hats off for other reasons as well, though I'm not sure of every specific reason. One reason of which that I do know is to indicate that an offensive player, generally a receiver, has stepped out of bounds prior to a pass, which Ogletree did not. Regardless, I'm sure that the ref was acting accordingly when he tossed off his hat, but refs generally do not toss their hats ten feet into the field of play.

The only reason a ref throws his hat is because he is out flags or because the player stepped out of bounds. When the player steps out of bounds,the ref throws his hat at the spot the player stepped out of bounds. There were no flags thrown/penalties called on this play and Ogletree did not step OOB. Even if he had, the hat goes to that spot, not 5 yards into the field of play, 12+ yards downfield. This was blatant ref interference, particularly obvious since it was thrown directly in his path. It takes quite a deliberate throw to launch a hat like that.

Edit: I feel much better about Dallas offensively after watching Green Bay vs Seattle.

The calls all year have been bad. The calls the last seven minutes of the game tonight were some of the worst. The final call...unbelievable.

The replay booth makes the call on scoring plays and particularly on plays within the final 2 minutes. Not the refs.

I was referring to the moment while Tate and Harris were wrestling for the the ball, in which each of the two refs put up a different call, one being a touchdown when it was obviously not, and the other being a signal that didn't really apply to the play. I can't believe that the call was upheld after being reviewed in the replay booth.

I was referring to the moment while Tate and Harris were wrestling for the the ball, in which each of the two refs put up a different call, one being a touchdown when it was obviously not, and the other being a signal that didn't really apply to the play. I can't believe that the call was upheld after being reviewed in the replay booth.

This happens even with the normal refs. Perspectives on the field are different. However, in this situation the booth makes the final call. I don't think the booth people are part of the strike. When two people are struggling for the ball, possession defaults to the offense.

The comments on ESPN's Rapid Reaction article are flooding to the point of it being unreadable. I wonder if the general media will actually talk about this or just brush it off.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2011_Rule_Book.pdf

CATCH
A catch is made when a player inbounds secures possession of a pass, kick, or fumble in flight (See 8-1-3).
Note 1: It is a catch if in the process of attempting to catch the ball, a player secures control of the ball prior to
the ball touching the ground and that control is maintained after the ball has touched the ground.
Note 2: In the field of play, if a catch of a forward pass has been completed, and there is contact by a defender
causing the ball to come loose before the runner is down by contact, it is a fumble, and the ball remains
alive. In the end zone, the same action is a touchdown, since the receiver completed the catch beyond the
goal line prior to the loss of possession, and the ball is dead when the catch is completed.
INTERCEPTION
An interception is made when a pass (forward or backward) is caught by an opponent of the passer.

Just like in a fumble situation, if clear recovery is not made by the defense, possession remains with the offense.

The ball was in Jennings grasp first, and brought to his chest before it could even be considered mutual possession.

There was also pass interference on the same play.

Bottom line: catch on the field. You can't turn a touchdown into an interception upon review and it was clearly not incomplete.

1339692364337.png

lol, the Packers lost again? Man, this season is crazy. Steelers, Packers, Broncos, Patriots are all 1-2 and the Saints are 0-3 and the fuckin Cardinals and Texans are 3-0, Seahawks, Eagles, and Vikings are all 2-1.

da fuq

haha thought this was funny:

426323_445015662207950_1848685830_n.jpg

In which case it falls in failure of the refs on the field, for missing one call and declaring an interception a touchdown.

large

Single hand on the ball for the receiver, in both hands and to the chest of the pass defender.

In which case it falls in failure of the refs on the field, for missing one call and declaring an interception a touchdown.

large

Single hand on the ball for the receiver, in both hands and to the chest of the pass defender.

No shit. But anybody acting like it was an easy call to make in real time on the field is out of their minds.

I think the Seahawks, Dallas, and Cardinals defenses are legit. Injuries are biting the Dallas D (specifically at safety and Dline) already though so going to see how that develops going forward.

Sean Lee is playing like an absolute beast this year.