NFL 2016

Ive already seen rumors that suggest information about Brissett's injury was leaked just to play head games with Rex. As for making qualitative judgments about Brady in this case, I dont think it is entirely fair. The guy has proven that he is able to make reads and play situational football at a high level. Compared with the entirely scripted play-calling of Brissett's game, and Garoppolo's decent but not spectacular play, I see Brady as being far better. Just think, Garappolo got first string reps in the off-season, and has had more than 2 years to learn the plays. He is not a rookie and had plenty of time to train, teams dont have enough tape on him to learn his tendencies, and also you would expect the Pats (or any team who is competent) to keep a backup who is at least capable of pulling off wins first thing in the season.

I'm not calling Brady a scrub. I'm just saying his "value added" is very arguably less than the QBs in the tier he is placed. Having a decent backup is quite difficult in a league that doesn't even have 32 good quality starters.

His win-loss record isnt exactly unprecedented. Mike McCarthy currently has close to the same win-loss percentage in his time with the Packers for instance.

A not as good win/loss percentage over a much smaller sample of games with a better QB. I don't know what you think that shows.

Meh, they really dont cheat anymore than most other teams, it just seems to be more publicized when they do.

You Pats fans really believe this don't you?

I'm not calling Brady a scrub. I'm just saying his "value added" is very arguably less than the QBs in the tier he is placed. Having a decent backup is quite difficult in a league that doesn't even have 32 good quality starters.

I wouldnt immediately assume his value is lower just because the current team has been able to win a couple of games early in the season without Brady. I get the feeling you are just making assumptions based on the W/L record instead of watching the actual games. Im not trying to say the Brady is indisputably the GOAT, but he is still as good a difference maker as any other top tier QB in the league. Im not even sure if we played any particularly good teams yet this season. I think the Broncos D would have stomped Brissett, and possibly Garoppolo for that matter.

A not as good win/loss percentage over a much smaller sample of games with a better QB. I don't know what you think that shows.

Much smaller? McCarthy has 10 years of experience as a head coach, do you really suggest that he needs to be in the league for another 10 to even be able to remotely compare his stats with Belichick? 160+ games isnt enough? It was suggested that Belichick's W/L record is too good to be true in the modern era, so im suggesting that their is another coach with a similarly successful record.

You Pats fans really believe this don't you?

Tell me what makes you think otherwise.

I wouldnt immediately assume his value is lower just because the current team has been able to win a couple of games early in the season without Brady. I get the feeling you are just making assumptions based on the W/L record instead of watching the actual games. Im not trying to say the Brady is indisputably the GOAT, but he is still as good a difference maker as any other top tier QB in the league. Im not even sure if we played any particularly good teams yet this season. I think the Broncos D would have stomped Brissett, and possibly Garoppolo for that matter.

Much smaller? McCarthy has 10 years of experience as a head coach, do you really suggest that he needs to be in the league for another 10 to even be able to remotely compare his stats with Belichick? 160+ games isnt enough? It was suggested that Belichick's W/L record is too good to be true in the modern era, so im suggesting that their is another coach with a similarly successful record.

For some reason I was thinking McCarthy started in 08, not 06. Regardless, Belichick has still done it for much longer, plus he has much more postseason success, plus he has done much better than McCarthy without his star QB. McCarthy needs Rodgers, and needs him playing at a high level, much more than Belichick needs Brady. In 2013, McCarthy went a marvelous 2-5-1 without Rodgers. Belichick went 11-4 without Brady in 2008, and has gone 3-0 this year without Brady - including using a 3rd string rookie.

Tell me what makes you think otherwise.

Do you have any evidence of other teams doing anything similar? I would find it hard to believe that Belichick actually just sucks at cheating and everyone else is doing such a bang up job of it that they simultaneously aren't getting caught while getting no substantial benefit.

Colts win, that's cool. That game was a shit show however. Not confidence inspiring in the least.

Ugh.

Went to a bar today and watched the 49ers get slaughtered while my boss was wearing a Seahawks jersey. It was awesome. haha

OBJ is the most talented moron in the league right now. There's always one and he's it. Two years running now that I think about it. *golf clap*

Reactions: Dak
I'm really blown away. I felt the Eagles could win, but not in my wildist dreams did I expect the Eagles hammer the Steelers like this.

The coaching staff is doing an amazing job getting the best out of these players.

The Eagles are clearly atm the team to beat in the NFC East taking into account all phases of play. A little irritated though that Wentz is getting such headlines when his Total QBR is lagging far behind Dak's - especially considering Dak didn't have anywhere near the expectations. The Cowboys might have a bit better offensive unit but the defenses aren't close. A lot of pressure on Dallas to score every time they get the ball. Dak is leading the league in active Total QBR (Garoppolo is the only guy ahead but on half the sample size and not playing atm) for this year. That is absolutely insane. I thought the dude was special but he is wildly exceeding expectations.

He looked good in the bits of the Cowboys-Bears game I watched, and I still need to watch a full game to fairly evaluate him (perhaps vs. the Bengals), but I didn't see him doing the things Wentz is doing. Wentz is managing the game like a vet.

Last edited:
He looked good in the bits of the Cowboys-Bears game I watched, and I still need to watch a full game to fairly evaluate him (perhaps vs. the Bengals), but I didn't see him doing the things Wentz is doing. Wentz is managing the game like a vet.

What does that even mean? It is implicit in such a statement that Dak is *not* managing the game like a vet. Changing plays at the line, going through full progression reads, and protecting the football are all things I would call "Veteran" behavior. Dak ticks all the boxes. He is beating Wentz across the board here:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

Dak is #2 in PA, #2 by pass and #1 by run. #2 in total EPA, #2 in raw QBR, and #4 in TQBR. Wentz is mid-tier across the board. The only thing probably keeping Dak from #1 is he hasn't had quite as many QB plays.

Of course we are talking about a small sample size, and as more tape is out on both QBs/offenses, I expect some regression. But if Dak isn't "doing some things that Wentz is", then that means Dak should be otherworldly when he starts to do so.

Edit: Also found this:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/nfl...dak-prescott-matt-ryan-falcons-cowboys-eagles

Prescott has gotten less help from the design of his offense and hasn’t thrown as many stat-padding screens and short throws. And though the Cowboys offensive line is viewed as the best in the league, Wentz has actually gotten better protection from his line. He’s been pressured on only 8.1% of his dropbacks, per Football Outsiders’ charting data. Prescott has been pressured on 16% of his dropbacks.

Prescott is also far less reliant on yards after the catch.

No big surprise about the line, it's built as a run blocking line. Also, all those short throws probably leave less time for Wentz to feel pressure.

And holy shit, Wentz is throwing to his first read 70% of the time, 27% of passes are screens, and 46% (nearly half!) are <5 yards. Vet play brosef.

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/Cianaf

this guy is pretty smart on football and loves Dak

http://presnapreads.com/2016/09/29/dak-prescott-deserves-more-respect-after-week-3-performance/

Yeah he does.

If you want to talk about a rookie doing something that should never be expected of a rookie, this is it. Quarterbacks play in this league for a decade without being able to make that adjustment before the snap. The throw itself requires a level of arm talent that Prescott himself hadn’t really shown through two games. It wasn’t just about strength it was about controlling the flight of the ball.