Night Is The New Day

cant believe the guest vocals are getting all this neg. departer is like a perfect song to me. it almost feels like jonas's uh lets say "character" dies and then linder comes in as the brother in this kind of mournful way. its just perfect really.

For me this a timeless and seriously emotional album that just proves that Katatonia couldn't release a bad album even if they wanted to. This one is just TOO affecting, challenging and beautiful (in the literal sense of the word). The songs just hit you in the heart.

I will talk more about it later.

cant believe the guest vocals are getting all this neg. departer is like a perfect song to me. it almost feels like jonas's uh lets say "character" dies and then linder comes in as the brother in this kind of mournful way. its just perfect really.

It's gotten more love than hate so far.

Also - it was bound to be like this, really. Guest vocals on a Katatonia album? Someones gonna hate it, no matter what.

This is a really good album - to be honest it's taken me some listens but I'm getting to adore it...it's not a very easy album to digest at first, lot's of layers, synths, electronics, etc... it's very dark though, in a comforting way and I like it. It's also very adventerous in a subtle way. There are a couple things I would change in a few songs but The longest Year, The Promise of Deceit, Day... and Departer are pretty much perfect however The Day and The Shade just kind of ends, which is annoying cause it's a great song

Overall, it's a magnificent album... i'll probably enjoy this more than TGCD

I dont know.I think that Departer is a very good track.Linder sings very well in this song.

Thank you for actually "getting it."

Linder bothered me, too, at first. But the more I listen to it, the more sense it makes that they included him and my overall feeling towards his appearance improves. Give it time. Listen with your heart; not your head.

It is not of course the same. But anyone can tell that they are very similar. Yeah the album is diverse for sure but that doesn't mean that it has to be good.

You were the person who wanted them to go in the unfurl direction right?
If that's the case I can understand why you might be disappointed.
I also notice the songs are less catchy in a way, but that's more stylish if you ask me. I really love the textures they make and the feel they convey. And because there are less catchy moments it sounds a bit more mature. Like they dared to step outside the picture of constant gratification and chose to make some songs that seem to lean on a a certain story with a certain atmosphere, instead of throwing some "bubblegum" moments all over the place.
Hehe, please don't get me wrong, I love those moment just as much as anyone else, but I can see the charm of not overdoing that in this album. And that's where I think they've grown

New Night is prolly my favorite, did u notice that the teaser piano loop thing is in that song? This album is fooking amazing.

When I listened to it for the first time I couldn't get the "atmosphere" of this new record. But it's surely growing on me as I listen to the whole album over and over again. Becoming consistent so to speak.
I had this weird feeling that the songs are very "hopeful". It's beautifully sad. I think that's the closest term I can find.
I really can't compare it to the other records yet: it's very different and original. I thought it could use more aggressiveness, but again I've been listening to TGCD so much lately that it might be more of a contrast thing.

So whats this about the atmosphere being different? is it not so bleak as usual or ?

If this one's for me, I have to tell you that I have been listening to Katatonia for like 8 years now and trust me I know the feelings when I first hear a Katatonia album. Yes it needs time of fukkin course and I will surely give this time. Most probably I will enjoy all of the songs. But I haven't had that feeling that it's the weakest chain of post-BMD when I first heard TGCD. That's what I'm talking about. You must get used to people that don't like what you like. Otherwise %98 of the world will have to go and buy Good Charlotte according to your perception...

98 percent do unfortuanatly

Well after listening to the album through a few times, I'd describe it as: it's dark, it gives the feeling of despair and at times it's almost eerie... like it's strange, different, yet intriguing.

i don't like the album, don't know exactly why

it seems like one long song

the atmosphere is there but the songs aren't

esp. didn't like the opeth influence, cause i want to katatonia be kata and opeth be opeth - each of them has their own good and bad sides, and when it's interefered, it's not good imo

i liked only the opening track and the last one, with the guest vox...

I absolutely love this album - it gives more with every listen. They've done a fantastic job and I hope they feel very proud. It's engrossing from start to finish.
Can't wait to see them in London tonight!