Night Is The New Day

fo sho D:

anywho, this album is really a BIG step in new direction. almost no verse/chorus/verse structures. they made such a big accent on this kinda liquid ambience from which i draw a parallel to the ambience of our nowadays lives or atleast something like that, but they made it in such a melancholic and almost a romantic way. this is how i feel this album and fuck, it is hard to get in it. after like 10-15 listens it is still grows and some moments are still seem so strange. but i am sure, that after 10 years it will be remembered like a fucking classic.

This album is nothing if not just a pure feast. What grabs me mostly is that unlike viva and tgcd is tha there are a lot of top quality songs ie at least 7 or so that I love I only really liked my twin and deliberation of tgcd. Not saying I did not like the rest but nitnd is a killer for quantity.

Well, well, well ...

So I have listened to the new album enough to have a first impression of it. It's kind of hard to put it into words but as many of you have already stated, this is more of an ambient journey that demands your attention from the first to the last song. If Ulver picked up the guitars and put back some metal into their music, Night is the New Day is not too far away of how I'd imagine it would sound. Fewer songs than on the last few albums stand out on their own, there are fewer hooks and less accessible song structures. In that way this truly is an ALBUM, and a great album too. The songs I enjoy the most are The longest year, Liberation, Inheritance, Ashen and Departer. In Departer, Jonas' lyrics reference older songs, for instance the last line he sings before Krister Linder kicks in is "it's the month of July". I like it alot. The verses of Day and then the Shade are also really great, and surprisingly catchy compared to the rest of the songs on this album. However, I'm not really happy with the chorus ... maybe it'll grow on me. I sure it will cause this album has done nothing but become better and better with each and every listen. As it feels now, this is a rock solid 9/10 and the album of the year together with Porcupine Tree's The Incident.

Yep I think I've heard some references too, like "We called on the bird long before"

I think everybody knows the song:)

BTW, in Departer Jonas says;

"When did you first say,I swear it's the truth "

and Linder answers;

"Why would I swear, you know it's the truth? "

I liked it a lot!!! There are so many things to discover in the lyrics...

And what didn't I understand? You were pretty clear. Or is that just the best defense you have? You think people should be grateful for the band creating the album; regardless of whether they hate it or not. Why? It wasn't a favor. Secondly, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Whether or not the band worked hard at creating this album is totally irrelevant to how one will feel about it objectively. Such is the case with anything.

You didn't read out the little provocations in my post? Ok, guess I should decorate my post with some more smilies to underline some sort of cynism or sarcasm. :worship:

And I never said that people should be grateful for the band creating an album. Wrong interpretation!

What I just wanted to say: Certain people should calm down a bit here in the forum. And not too damn serious, ok? :cry:

This is a great album. I really like departer. I think it's my fav track, so ambient, minimal and nuanced. Very cool.

Departer is pretty amazing indeed. Does anyone hear a typewriter-like sound in the beginning?

The only thing I don't like in the whole album is when Linder sings ''face your fiiiears and piiierce the night'', just sounds...not good imo.

"New Night" seems to be a bit underrated on this forum, I think it has the one of the catchiest yet emotive choruses on the album, and the verses give me that cool as hell feeling that I got from "July" on the last album. I love the ambient bridge section in the middle aswell!

Idle blood is "Song of the Year" for me (along with "Time Flies" by PT and numerous songs of Dredgs latest masterpiece).

I love Krister Linders voice, his solo album is angelic, and he delivers the same qualities on Departer!

I'm positively surprised by his appeareance. First I saw like "hmm, guest appearance in a Kata album.. is it really necissary with Jonas being teh pwn?" but it worked out with that song :)

His vocal performance is really cool, he is a gifted singer. I just don't like that part.

Departer is pretty amazing indeed. Does anyone hear a typewriter-like sound in the beginning?

The only thing I don't like in the whole album is when Linder sings ''face your fiiiears and piiierce the night'', just sounds...not good imo.

Same here and I don't like the thing that starts at 03:10 doesn't fit with the rest of the song imo. but the beginnig until linder comes in is great.