NOLTEM - Hymn of the Wood

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
So the NOLTEM tape turned up today, and I really didn't know what to expect (in a way I avoided the MP3s for the real thing). I threw it on, and plugged the headphones in. Now, sitting in the other room is Haddsie and I'm pretty taken aback by track #1, "Rivers Held in Ice". By the time "Hymn of the Wood" comes on, I've actually unplugged by headphones and asked Haddsie to listen in. And we both agree that this is fucken' cool stuff.

Can't wait to review this, but I want to give it several listens because there's lots going on. I can say this now with confidence: not that I doubted your ability, BUT this is much, much better than I expected. Well done Marksveld, it's a nice surprise.

JayKeeley said:
So the NOLTEM tape turned up today, and I really didn't know what to expect (in a way I avoided the MP3s for the real thing). I threw it on, and plugged the headphones in. Now, sitting in the other room is Haddsie and I'm pretty taken aback by track #1, "Rivers Held in Ice". By the time "Hymn of the Wood" comes on, I've actually unplugged by headphones and asked Haddsie to listen in. And we both agree that this is fucken' cool stuff.

Can't wait to review this, but I want to give it several listens because there's lots going on. I can say this now with confidence: not that I doubted your ability, BUT this is much, much better than I expected. Well done Marksveld, it's a nice surprise.

Indeed, I was toally sideswiped by it as well. I tip my cup to Max. I can only wait to see what the future holds for this youngster who obvioulsy is pouring over the top with talent.

PS - Jay, wait til you hear the new stuff. Wowza!

The thing that gets me most is that Hymn of the Wood doesn't sound like it's homemade, with a few riffs thrown together. It sounds like you put some thought and effort into it.

In reference to everything I've heard so far, and particularly the new MP3, I hear elements of Nokturnal Mortum, Empyrium, and a little "Lunar Strain" era In Flames (more so through the massive fluctuation in volume between the acoustics and the harsher elements, haha). Likewise, you've paid close attention to the stereo balancing in the production and perfected the guitar lead harmonies.

You know, even the intro to "A Descent into Heights" where it sounds like you've got an accordion going on, the timing is a little off BUT for some reason it sounds endearing -- just as real old folk music should sound. Kinda like those old traditional segments on "Battlefields".

If you're wondering what that instrument at the end of "Hymn of the Wood" is, that's an old mountain dulcimer... I get a ton of questions on that.

It is nice. I admit that I'm just a little desensitized to it because I've heard it in all stages of production, but I cannot deny that the songs are excellently written and that they are well preformed and recorded, not to mention are just plain out fucking cool. I can't wait to hear the final incarnation on tape. :)