Bill Ward's Red Pants
Oct 21, 2003
The Southland
sonofnun7.wordpress.com
Noltem - Hymn of the Wood
Ancient Wind Records - AWR002 - 2005
By Josh Phillips

really_small_noltem.jpg

Noltem is a nature and folk metal project based in America. Though a one-man band, Noltem creates some beautiful, atmospheric and largely instrumental music. This is the band's first release, a demo and while self-produced, the sound is still of a high quality and works well with the tone of the music to create excellent atmosphere.

The music is all very emotional and heartfelt, utilizing beautiful acoustics and drifting bass to create flowing soundscapes. The guitar tone is icy cold and whispered, raspy vocals serve as a complement to the overall sound. They are used sparingly and appropriately. This release reminds me of Agalloch in some ways, though clearly with a highly original outlook on this style of music. There are three songs here, the highlight of the album being the second song, the title track. Beautiful, relaxing, purely instrumental, with a folky outro which showcases elements I would love to see further incorporated into the music on future releases. Samples of howling winds and falling rain also serve to complement the calm, natural atmosphere and work well within the compositions.

This is a very promising release which leads me to believe that Noltem will one day be one of the larger names in this sub-genre of music. A lot of potential here, and I know it will continue to grow. There were only fifty copies of this release made, and it isn't one you want to let slip through your fingers, so act fast and get your first taste of Noltem!

8/10

Official Noltem Website
Official Ancient Wind Records Website

Good shit, as always man. I look forward to hearing it in it's entirety.