NOLTEM - Hymn of the Wood

It took about 5 months to compose and record those 18 minutes, so I guess that counts.

That's definitely the way to do it. If I ever try to record anything it's going to be hard to resist the temptation to just throw stuff together in a few hours and call it a day.

I got the tape this afternoon and I don't know what else there is to add to this discussion other than to say it's awesome.

And thanks for the kind note :cool:

also, the new track sounds great and mountain dulcimer = awesome, I was wondering what that was.

Really intrigued about this ... that MP3 sample above just blew my nuts off. Really ...
Do you have anything on CD as I don't have a tape deck.

Just post the review here!!! For you guys that want a tape, it's $7.00 shipped. Send me a PM-

and Lurch, I'll send you a CD-R if you PM give me your address, no problem!

Yeah, this is really good. I've heard the mp3s before but I have never focused like now and I must say I really really like it, and the quality on the tape isn't really bad at all

Ah, no- I filled out the customs forms on that date. I actually shipped it Friday!!! That's pretty fucking unbelievable... I guess airmail was worth its cost for once!

Like I said before, Noltem is excellent stuff and I see this project rising up towards the top of this sub-genre of music. Up there with names such as Agalloch and Moonsorrow. Really good stuff Mr. Johnson.

Tape arrived today, hooray. Haven't listened to it yet but:
letter from Marksveld said:
Clearly I am better than both Iron Maiden AND Judas Priest combined.
= Album of the Year. :loco:

Just this once, here's my review, which is slated to appear in The Metal Observer soon:

noltem.jpg

The Scandinavian wilderness influences a host of musicians, and the solitary member of NOLTEM is apparently under that same influence as well. Oh wait, hold on. Ah, says here that M. Johnson is actually living in Connecticut right now. Oh well, just substitute the word “Connecticut” for the word “Scandinavia” in the first sentence.

What we have is a three-song demo entitled “Hymn Of The Wood” that reeks – in a good way – of Pagan/Folk Metal. Fortunately, for listeners, NOLTEM are very endearing, and have a way of crafting mesmerizing songs. No doubt about it: this material is infectious, catchy, and memorable. “Rivers Held In Ice” is a nice introduction to the demo, because it features an acoustic passage sandwiched between heavier, symphonic ones. Also, the vocals are distorted yet not as powerful and upfront as they should be. The melodious lead at the 2:50 minute mark is a nice touch, though. “Hymn Of The Wood” – the track – sounds similar to AGALLOCH upon inception. At the 1:30 minute mark of the aforementioned, we get a slew of melody, and I can’t extol Johnson’s ears – and subsequent compositions – enough. It’s, in other words, a rewarding instrumental. The demo’s production isn’t the best I’ve ever heard of course, but I’m excited to see what NOLTEM will be able to do with a proper recording studio. “The Final Dawn” begins with a storm soundclip that reminds me of a tactic used by EXTOL on their debut, full-length in “Burial.” However, the riff in “The Final Dawn” is simply trance inducing, which indicates its cohesive nature. Furthermore, the song comes full circle when it ends just as it commenced.

Overall, I was impressed with NOLTEM’s “Hymn Of The Wood,” and am actively anticipating subsequent efforts from the one-man project. If the vocalizations are strengthened, then the band could easily become a formidable opponent in the Pagan/Folk Metal subgenre.

8/10

I'll post the link when it gets published, and you all should view it. Mmmkay?

Nice review, not everyone can use the word "extol" twice differently in the same paragraph. :loco:

Hey Marksveld - did you take that picture on the front cover yourself?

The page I got it from had no legal information... trust me, I looked. If it turns out that I did "steal" it, than I'd be more than happy to pay the photographer (as long as he isn't some douche that wants to charge $1500).